Yellowstone Park ... RV'ing .. where to stay?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fredaevans, Jan 1, 2011.

1. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    Looking at a long trip in the MH, and one of the target destinations is "Jelleystone Prk. Yogie Bear is alive and well:thumb:

Never been in the area, save for looking down from 30,000 some thousand feet in an airliner ... any suggestions (RV park wise) that have merit? This one gave me a 'say what?' 375 RV spaces ... and no electricity to the individual sites?:hmmm:

http://www.yellowstoneparknet.com/rv_camping/fishing_bridge_campground.php

Odd, very very odd.

fae
  2. South Fork Active Member

Left at the First Stop Light, MT
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    I don't know about Electric Hookup in the park but I used to guide the park for FF so I know the fishing better than anything, and also where pretty geysers are ;-). If you want fishing in and around Jellystone, Island Park has a bunch of spots and there are some in West Yellowstone, and they have electric hook up.

You have to remember, it is a National Park, and all amenities cannot be provided. So I would like to apologize in advance for you not being able to run your curling iron or blow dryer.

Shoot me a PM if you want some fishing info.
  3. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +208 / 1
    Fred, there is 1 campground IN the park with hook-ups. I wouldn't recommend staying there as it's worse than a walmart parking lot. Think Tailgate party parking.

If you really need hook-ups, stay outside the park in one of the many full service campgrounds.
  4. Guy Gregory Active Member

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    Boondock it a couple of days..you'll be glad you did.
  5. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Fred, My kids stayed at KOA and really liked it. But they rented a cabin and their friends had a tent trailer. They really liked having the pool and store. i'll see if they will give more info later.
  6. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    With my Motor Home "Boondocking" is an Oxymoron, more like staying in a rolling 'Condo Unit.' Second owner here, the first was one, if not the 'richest Guy' in this area of the world, damned close to it. This thing has every 'toy' you could put into one of these things ... Stereo sounds systems, flat screen TV's, DVD/CD players, ice maker .. no not just trays, but a real ice maker/dish washer/washer dryer/ two over sized AC's ... in 100 degree heat you could make ice cubes on the kitchen counter/yada yada yada.

But the (apparent lack) of electricity in these RV parks (yes, you can run your generator from 8 - 8) has me scratching my head. One park has 375 sites ... can you imagine the noise from all these things running at the same time, let alone the resultant 'fumes?'

Yikes!

Fred
  7. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +178 / 0
    Hey, you can run your curling iron or blow dryer inside the National Parks if you have the "dough re me". http://www.amazon.com/Great-Lodges-National-Parks-Collection/dp/B002GWDK70

I think Woody Guthrie had it pegged. One set of rule for you and me and one set for the man.

I really love this quote "With the exception of Yosemite's Ahwahnee and Death Valley's Furnace Inn, which will be cases of window-shopping for most of us, these lodgings should be financially possible for most viewers in the Middle Class if they save up for them responsibly - although transportation expenses for Alaska and Hawaii might make those years a little tight."

So I am going save my pennies "responsibly" so I can visit MY National Parks and have electricity!!!
  8. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Too funny by half!

Would appear that most/much of what folks think should be in an 'RV Park' is a flat pad to park on. Probably 'appropriate' if you're looking at a few days stay ... but for an 'extended stay?' Options may be 'limited.'

Next you'll be telling me there's no Internet!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

YIKES!
    fae
  9. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +750 / 0
    Fred, on the way in to the park, if you don't take Highway 20 up through Island park, you have to drive by the Madison on 287. Don't go that way, because there's several new camgrounds right beside that fifty-mile long riffle; you may run off the road staring at the opportunities! They don't have power, but for a few nights' stay, you're right on the river. We were there in October, and there's a new RV place on the South side of West Yellowstone called the Yellowstone Grizzley RV Park on Electric Street. It looked pretty nice when we drove through.
  10. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +216 / 0
    I don't know if it is official policy, but there is an aspect of the national parks that encourages living roughly. You won't find showers or hot water in most campgrounds. Nor do you typically find power. Most U.S. national park campgrounds offer less amenities than a typical state park. I wonder if there is a desire to not compete with private campgrounds that often cluster around the borders; if you want more creature comforts, you can find them there. Even the lodges, however grand their appearance, are pretty spartan, with small, odd-shaped rooms, and minimal modern conveniences. Perhaps they think that people who visit national parks are going to be entertained by the natural beauty around them and spending most of their time outside, and not streaming movies.

As far as your trip, your best bets for power are outside the park. The downside is commuting into the park each day.
    Steve
  11. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +208 / 1
    iagree with Alex. Plus if you have a large class "A" you will find the spots in the park to small for your rig.
  12. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +750 / 0
    Jeff, hope the knee's doing well! We're kickin` trout butt this summer, bro!
  13. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Here is more my take on National Parks.....

http://usbackroads.blogspot.com/2010/03/short-history-of-boondocking.html

http://usbackroads.blogspot.com/

When you get to be a grouchy old man you get stronger opinions.
  14. KenPCPilot New Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    The West YellowStone KOA is very nice place to come back to in the evening after a long day of exploring and fishing in the Park. It has a beautiful indoor pool mini golf playground nice store. a great breakfast served everyday. It is about 6 miles out of West Yellow Stone Montana. Beware in the summer in the park there are a lot of restrictions on fishing like no afternoon fishing on the Madison due to water temperature and low oxygen. to be honest I had my best time and best luck on the Gibbon River in the Park catching little brown trout and it did not have the afternoon closure restriction. Be careful on the Madison in the slow flat stuff when wading. I dam near drown in some soft mud like stuff it had a hard crust on top but my weight broke through and I kept sinking deeper into the muck and was about 3 inches from the top of my waders. I have fell in plenty of times but never got stuck and going under water.
  15. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
  16. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +206 / 0
    We've stayed at Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone a couple times and it is very nice. Rick
  17. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Many thanks for info Folks, all of this is getting passed on to "The Red Head" (aka Joan). First thing that appears 'obvious' is 1st of June may be a bit early (weather/river fishing conditions) and staying out of the Park may be the most viable option for a long stay in the area.

The other thing that caught my attention is there's another large Park just to the South ... Who Knew?? Another Adventure a-building.:ray1:

Fred
  18. tediousthumper Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin

Vancouver
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Now your on to something, All I got to say is Yellowstone is good for a quick day visit, but the real magic is in Teton Park. The Gros Ventre, Buffalo Fork, and the Snake will out fish anything in Yellowstone Daily.
  19. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ah Hell TT ... you've just sent me off on another 2 hours on 'Google.'
    :>)

fae

Edit: How did folks do this before the advent of 'Google?' Probably a few phone calls .. Sheesh.
  20. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,224 / 9
    Great timely thread Fred. After a brief discussion with the Mrs. we hope to be heading to West Yellowstone this summer too. Awaiting reservation confirmation for our tent trailer as I type. Nervously knowing that the entire area books up fast but it said there were a few sites that fit our requested equipment and dates. I'm hopeful to glean information from the many here who have a wealth of experience with this wonderful location.