Yellowstone recomendations?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by sparky, Jul 17, 2007.

1. sparky

sparky New Member

My wife and I will be heading to Yellowstone around the 10th-14th of August (dates are flexible) and we were thinking if tent camping outside the park at the KOA. Does anyone have any other suggestions? We're both fairly new to fly fishing and have never been to Yellowstone, any recomendations about what rivers to what flys would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

2. Bryan Williamson

Bryan Williamson Willybethere

A number of the rivers inside the park are already under voluntary restricted hours for fishing from 12-6PM daily due to warm water. With decreasing flows due to lack of snowmelt this could turn into mandatory restrictions or full on closures. Don't want to deter you here, but if this is a "fishing" trip to the park...pay attention river restrictions/closures as you may want to go elsewhere.

btw - there are mandatory closures from 12-6 in the Missoula area already as well. This may spread to other MT waters as we progress through summer.

Good luck!

3. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    Ask locally. Blue Ribbon Flies (406) 646-7642. They'll provide current and reliable advice.

4. Bill Reed

Bill Reed New Member

Not real hip on the KOA thing but that's probably going to put you in either West Yellowstone or Gardiner.
    From West Yellowstone the close streams would be the Madison, the Gallatin and the smaller Madison tributaries, north of town like Duck Ck, Cougar CK and Grayling Ck.
    From Gardiner the close waters would be the Yellowstone, the Gardner and a little farther out, the Lamar, Slough Ck and Sode Butte Ck.
    August 10-14th is going to be dry fly/terrestrial time. Caddis flies are big in Yellowstone and hoppers should be coming on as well. If you are fishing during or after rain, try ants and beetles fished wet. As Bryan pointed out, streams are very low this year and the park is suggesting not fishing in the afternoons on many waters. Probably best to fish early and do the tourist thing in the pm.
    The local fly shops should be able to give you the most up to date info- Blue Ribbon and Bud Lilleys in West Yellowstone, Parks in Gardiner.
    There's also a good article on the front page of this site about fishing in North Yellowstone by Walt W (sorry, don't remember the spelling).
    Check it out and good luck!!

5. sparky

sparky New Member

Thanks for all the info! I will definetly talk to the local shops before I fish. I think this will be mostly a sight seeing trip, with only one day of fishing:(

6. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

Media:
    if you want the river to be your back yard (the Yellowstone, ) try the PAradise Valley KOA, it's about 70 miles outside the park boundaries, and clean. The river IS your backyard there, with many sites on the water, I cut my teeth on the Yellowstone there, and have made it back to fish some 14 years in a row now.......and the Madison River anywhere between Ennis and 3 dollar bridge, again outside the park....

There are "gentlemens" restrictions on ALL the rivers inside the park because of warm water temps, no fishing from noon to 6 pm, but before and after are condoned.
    Earl

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    There are a lot more rivers in Montana with restrictions on them that was mentioned before. And the closures here are from 2 PM to Midnight. And some now have 24 hour closures on them.

It's getting hotter and the rivers are getting smaller and warmer.

And sometimes I even miss good old Washington. With it's cooler weather and cold mountain streams.

Jim

P/S.... I hope there is enough water left in August for the rivers to be going down stream.

8. zipmyfly

zipmyfly New Member

Look on line for fly shops in West Yellow Stone and make a few calls. West Jellysotone is the place to go. There are tons of places to camp in Montana from W. Yell to Ennis MT.