Yellowstone River Guide Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by crockett, Jul 13, 2004.

1. crockett

crockett New Member

Media:
    Four of us are heading to fish the Yellowstone River in Paradise Valley in September. I would like to fish rather than row, so we plan on floating a couple days with guides. I have talked with folks from Dan Bailey's and George Anderson's shops. Both sound OK, but I'm wondering if anybody has any personal experience with these or other shops?

Thanks in advance,
    -Crock

2. sss

sss New Member

Crock,

I just got back from a week in the area we stayed in Last Chance, Id at Trouthunter. That's a long ways from Paradise Valley, but all their guides are licensed for Montana. Our guide lives in West Yellowstone and his knowledge of all the waters in the area was top notch. He has guided in the area for 12 years and was unbelievable. I know he is booked for the next month but may be available in Sept.

Trouthunter
    208-558-9900
    trouthunt.com

guide: Jonathan Heames

Hope this helps some, Marc

3. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    I would call to shops all in the area and ask for a guide that "specializes " on the yellowstone. Every guide specializes on a river, whether they live there or not. Call shops not just in Livingston but in Ennis and west yellowstone and maybe in last chanch as well. Good luck!

4. DLoop

DLoop Creating memories one cast at a time

Media:
  5. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    That is great to see. I have met that fellow a time or two on the river. Thats an awesome fish to have your wife catch. I am still waiting ro be able to land on of the ose guys on my favorite river. I have hooked a lot of them but can never land them. The closest I came was last year and he borke off at the boat. I tried to tail him first and then pick up his stomach. Didnt go so well, and my leader caught the edge of the boat anc snapped right when I gain control of him. But once the leader pressure was off, so was he. I m estimating him at 24-25", guve or take a couple 3 inches.:) All i can say is it is tough to land a fish of that size while moving through rough water without a boat net trying to control a rod from going in and all that stuff. I guess it comes hand in hand with living the high life.:) :thumb

6. abun24

abun24 How do you do this?

I went out with Lee at Dan Bailey's. We were three true novices and he really took his time with us. Everyone caught nice fish and really enjoyed our time. I think his favorite is the "Big Hole" but normally guides the Yellowstone.

I would definitely recommend him, he's pictured on their guides page.

... and the lunch was excellent :9

7. crockett

crockett New Member

Media:
    Thanks everyone, this is great advice. I hadn't really considered shops outside of Livingston, but that makes sense. Will check out Dan and Lee.

-Crock

8. Longs for Cutts

Longs for Cutts Member

Media:
    I guide on the Yellowstone. I'll be at school in Bellingham by Labor Day, but we'll still have guides available. The boss would be one of them, and he did his first trip on the Yellowstone in 1961. My guide plate is 9530, and 11000 is probably on the river somewhere. His is 327. The Yellowstone and Yellowstone Park are the only waters we guide, and the area should be fishing well on BWO and smallish attractor dries then.

Wally,
    Head Guide
    Parks' Fly Shop
    Gardiner, MT
    406-848-7314