Yellowstone trip

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Chester Allen, Jun 12, 2009.

1. I'm planning my yearly trip -- fix? -- to Yellowstone National Park and other nearby waters.

I'm going on the second week of August, as I love the terrestrial fishing that time of year. I'm thinking Slough Creek, Lamar River, maybe Soda Butte, lower Madison and a few other waters.

I'm planning for a week, but my work informs me that I get to take a week of unpaid leave! What a cool thing -- not! I may just spend two weeks out there this year -- as it seems more fun to slowly go broke while living in a tent in Yellowstone than slowly going broke at home.

Anyone else headed out that way this year?

2. I've already got my plans for MT in late July. Gonna be fishing about 6 different streams in Western MT over the course of about 10 days. I'm introducing my 16 year old son to fly fishing for the first time. We're also gonna be digging sapphires, hitting some ghost towns and the wife and daughter are gonna do some horseback riding. I can't wait to get back to my home waters!

3. If you don't already know...bring long sleeves, long pants and a head net for Slough. Those biting flies SUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! The fishing is well worth it though.

4. [as it seems more fun to slowly go broke while living in a tent in Yellowstone than slowly going broke at home.

iagree amen chester.

im planning on heading out there around the end of july, im still trying to figure out what water im going to fish. i have never been there before so the choices seem a bit overwhelming at times.

good luck on your trip

5. Anyplace you hit in Montana and you are fishing skinny water you will catch fish. There are just a lot of fish here.