Yellowstone?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kent Lufkin, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Tightline

Tightline Brian Perry

Media:
    "When is the best fishing if you don't mind the crowds?"

I have been there once... last year during the first week of June. The fishing was fantastic, HUGE Stone hatch and I saw very, very few anglers in even the easiest access points.

~B

2. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Isn't much of the (moving) water closed in the Park during the first week of June . . . ?:dunno

3. creekx

creekx spent spinner

Media:
    Many of the streams open with the general opener - the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend. However the Yellowstone River from the Lake to Canyon opens July 15. Cutthroat spawning tribs to Yellowstone Lake have special seasons as well. Sounds like he was fishing the YR around Tower, which opens early.

The Firehole and Madison generally fish best around Memorial Day through June, before the combination of long hot days and thermal features raises the temps too much.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planvisit/todo/fishing/arearegs.htm

4. Reel Smoker

Reel Smoker New Member

Thanks Richard I'll look into the books. Due they list places to camp sites or just fishing areas?? Not that it matters, just trying to find that one spot with access to most of the waters.

Looking forward to fishing holy waters!!

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    >Thanks Richard I'll look into the books. Due they
    >list places to camp sites or just fishing areas?? Not
    >that it matters, just trying to find that one spot with
    >access to most of the waters.

With up to 6,000 cars entering the park every day at the west entrance alone, YNP is a pretty popular place during peak season. I was under the impression that most if not all of the campgrounds are on a reservation basis, with many spots having been booked months in advance. Is it possible to drive in and camp without a reservation?

6. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Fortuna,

Don't forget your Chironomids. All the fish in all the rivers (Browns, Bows, Cuts, Lakers, Whites, Grayling, Brookies, etc...) will and do eat them when other bugs are popping, and when they're not. Last year at the time of year you'll be there I had luck on the Gibbon, the Madison, Lewis Channel, Grebe Lake, and Hebegen Lake Madison arm.

Good Luck.

IRA..

7. creekx

creekx spent spinner

Media:
    Some of the bigger campgrounds (like Madison Junction, where it sounds like you're staying) are on a reservation basis. I think they are operated by a private concession on a contract with the NPS.

Some of the smaller campgrounds, like Slough Creek, operate on a first come, first served basis. However, it is somewhat of a gamble to count on getting a spot at these.

8. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    If all else fails, go to Hebgen Lake by the West Side of Yellowstone. Take the dirt road that takes you to the Firehole Rance, on the right side there are some campgrounds. Between 3-6pm, the gulpers arrive by the hundreds close to the bank. Wade in up to your waist, not to worry of sinking, the bottom is hard gravel. Average size for us were 20" browns and rainbows, had at least a 24" brown snap my tippet in seconds. Very exciting. My wife got here very first fish on an Adams dry there, a 19" beautiful rainbow.
    Also if no luck in the rivers, don't be afraid to get a guide, its worth the money cause the fish you catch will be BIG!

Good luck and be safe!

Peter ><>

Mark 12:30-31

9. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    Reel-smoker,
    Fish the madison in august! Thousands of huge hoppers buzzing around with fish chomping at the bit. Attractor patterns all day! Maybe the best time to fish the madison beside in April and may. You couldnt have picked a better time. Hopefully I will find to to do so as well. Sorry about not replying until now. I was looking up info on the madison and saw your post.

10. soccerstud

soccerstud New Member

if the fishing doesn't pan out on the rivers try a little lake in the south of the park named beulah lake it's quite a hike but it was worth it. there were 4 of us and we caught near 50 fish and there were a few good size cutts

11. emdoc

emdoc New Member

chironimids?! You must be smoking something....