Yep, still fish over in North Idaho

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by ribka, Aug 15, 2011.

1. As usual another boring trip to one of the most gorgeous areas in the US. Those who have fished there know what I mean.

Beautiful scenery, wildlife and good dry fly action. Everytime I go there I am reminded what a gem of an area it is.

2. Many different hatches throughout the day, however orange stimi's, comparaduns always seem to produce fish

3. Great place to take the family camping, hiking

4. Great shots. Thanks for the teaser. Heading over next month. Can't wait.

5. I agree 100% with Mr. Bandy. Tick tock, tick tock. Beautiful shots and now I'm going to have trouble sleeping.

6. FYI just my take: Bring a number of flies. I went through at least a doz dries a day. Tore up the flies.

When the sun comes up go small size 16-18. Had many fish rise, take a peak at size 12-14 humpies, stimis and refuse. When I went to more sparsely dressed smaller flies ( parachutes comparaduns, griffiths gnats) I had more takes. End of season and those fish have seen their share of flies.

Low light - Early morning and evening, size and pattern did not seem to make a difference.

7. Of course, heaven forbid, can always nymph with small princes and lightning bugs

8. Great info, pretty sure that I'm prepared for those fly needs...I've been looking forward to this trip since the day I saw it in the rear view mirror.

9. Pm and can suggest can camping locations. The NF of the Clearwater has always for some reason produced bigger fish over Cayuse and Kelly. Although my wife picked up a 22" in Cayuse 2 years ago. Always early and late in the day brought the larger fish to the surface

10. Heaven forbid indeed!

11. Wonderful pics!
    Like Ed sez' "tick tock, tick tock"

12. A gem of an area for sure! Catching fish is just an added bonus to being in that beautiful part of the world. Thanks for the photos!

13. Did you catch any rainbow in the area you were fishing? Just wondering.

14. not likely ^^

15. Their are very few places where my hands shake while gearing up. The drive in is agonizing, especially if you continue on.. "over the hump". You are going to drool Ed.
    I have 2-3 weeks left on a project and have turned down everything else until October so maybe I'll see you guys over there.

16. Great picts. Thanks for the report :)

17. Great pictures, its been too long since I have been there!

18. It's going to be a long "next 30 days"...

19. I believe that's 37 days for me, but who's counting.............:beathead:

20. I caught a 20" fish just above Kelly Forks campground on Kelly Creek several years ago. I do notice more bows in the nf and almost exclusively cutts in Kelly and Cayuse. It is interesting to wade from Kelly into the NF and notice the distinct drop in temp in the NF-that could be why more big fish there. I have always wanted to float the NF down from Kelly in a pontoon but haven't gotten around to it yet. Good luck guys! I wish I was going! Rick