Yes Virginia, there is a White Christmas!!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, Dec 25, 2006.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

A very Merry Christmas to all. For those of you that like it white I wish you could see this! Another 5'' of powder arrived last night, the 4th straight night it has snowed at least 2''. Any further walks in the forest will have to be on snowshoes. The turkeys now appear to be swimming along on their breastplates instead of walking and leave strange trails in the snow. And snow is stacking up all around the buildings and road. I plowed everything carefully yesterday in anticipation of this storm but will have to do it all over again today.

So I'll bake some sourdough biscuits, fry some bacon and hash browns, a few eggs, have some challah toast with apple butter, some tea and a glass of orange juice then bundle up and get out in it. It's a kick working outside in this much raw beauty. Have a great day wherever you are, Ive

2. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    It's very white here, as well. We've probably gotten 6" inches at least the last 2 days. It's beautiful, light powder so the skiers on the Ridge are rejoicing. My shovel has been working overtime:) Merry White Christmas!

3. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Merry White Christmas to you Ive! Wet rainy one here in Oregon this morning

4. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

Media:
    No snow or cold in western GLs, perhaps some light rain later seems more like Thanksgiving than Xmas here temps in the 40s.

Happy Holidays to all

:beer2:

BG

[​IMG]

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well I don't have a white one. The sun is coming out and it is 40 degrees out. But I'm not out in it because the river is still frozen over. So much for ice fishing.

Jim

6. Flyn'dutchman

Flyn'dutchman Member

Good to read your post Old man Jim. How has Montana been treating you anyway. Nice and cold and snowy here in Wenatchee as Big Tuna has described. As Ive has said there is something to the raw, cold beauty of winter and going out in it to clear the white stuff away. Wish I had a dime for every cubic yard of the stuff I have plowed or shoveled over the years. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Montana's been doing me alright. I can't complain except that I can't get out and fish as much as I did in Washington. I fished the smaller water when I got here and did fine. Cutts and Grayling was most of what I caught, but nothing big. Gonna try the bigger stuff this summer. Mosy of the bigger stuff is ice choked now.

I haven't tied a fly since I've been here. 8 months now. Must be out of my mind.

I live about a 1/4 mile from the Jefferson river. It appears to be about the size of the Stilly. Or maybe as wide as the Sky. Depends as to where you are on it at. Lots of drift boats on it in the summer when it is open.. Right now it is ice covered. So no fishing for this dude.

Jim

8. Dick Warnke

Dick Warnke was Pram-Man

Ive, Great snow report, I almost envy you...if that keeps up those Dry Side lakes ought to be in good shape come spring. I am chomping at the the bit already to be hitting my favorite Okanogan still waters in early May. Keep the reports comming...Thanks. Dick. :thumb:

9. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Dick, the snow prognosis is looking pretty good statewide. Every reporting district is running well over 100% in terms of total precipitation ranging from 128% up to 171%. Snow water content is also running higher than average so it should be a good runoff year in store for us.

Another storm is headed into this area today with winter snow warnings already in effect. With 3-5'' predicted in the valleys above 1800' we are sure to get more than that. It sounds like I can plan on plowing snow again tomorrow. It could be worse, I could be stuck in a cubicle somewhere punching computer keys.:) A couple more seasons like this and maybe I Lake will become Ell again! Ive

10. Dick Warnke

Dick Warnke was Pram-Man

Ive, That's something I've got my fingers crossed for, is to see Ell come back. Last year I was over there and I could'nt even get close enough to the water to launch my Pram. I am one stuck in the "cubicle" but that should be over about Sept. 1st 2007!!! Then one of men of liesure, at least until my wife decides I have to much time on my hands and need something to do. Thats when I'll hit all you guys with the experience to find out how to get around that one. :) :) :)