Yesterday on the Yakima

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by robbbos, May 2, 2010.

1. robbbos east coast transplant

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    So yesterday I took Panhandle up on his generous offer of an open seat on the Yakima, and had a blast. Several other WFF guys were there too -- great to meet all of you and get some of your wisdom and humor in person for a change. Not a ton to report, but it was an awesome day, so here goes:

We met up at the FFF fair for some huge egg scrambles, then shuttled up to South Cle Elum to put in. Floated down to State in the sun and wind, not the best conditions for casting or rowing but it was beautiful. With Pandhandle at the oars, Jesse and I nymphed as best we could for several hours without much luck... Jesse had two nice takes but both fish got away. Saw one or two rising fish -- I think the other boat found some more -- but overall it was pretty slow.

Finally towards the end of the day I got fed up with untangling/snagging my two-nymph rig, so I thought what the hell, may as well tie on one of the dry flies I just started tying -- a little olive parachute -- and see what happens. A few minutes later, Panhandle saw a fish rise in a little eddy near the bank so he quickly dropped the anchor and I jumped out to fish. Was casting about 40 feet right into the sun, so I couldn't see my fly at all, but on the second or third cast I saw a splash and boom -- fish on! A nice rainbow, got it to the net and grabbed the camera for the picture below before watching it swim off.

It was my first trout in three tries on the Yakima, and the first time I'd ever caught a fish on a fly I tied, so it was really a sweet moment. I fished for the rest of the float without seeing another fish rise, but it hardly mattered... I was just reliving the feeling of catching that trout on my own fly. It was a moment which I hope I never forget.

Thanks again to Panhandle for the amazing float, and the keen eyesight to see that one trout rising. JesseCFowl, Mumbles, and Chris -- I hope to fish with you all again soon.

Rob
  2. Runejl Josh

Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Way to go! That is nicer than most of the fish I have ever caught out of the Yakima!
  3. docstash Member

selah, wa.
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Good for you Rob, fishing with your own fly makes it so much sweeter.
    Craig
  4. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +570 / 0
    Panhandle let you put on a "dry fly" ? ...................... really?
  5. oldskool Guest

I don't care who you are........that's funny!
  6. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,545 / 9
    Rob, great meeting you and even better seeing you stalk, hook and land that beautiful native fish. Well done. I look forward to meeting up with some of the cast of characters assembled again for some fishing and fun. I hope you continue to have great PNW fishing adventures...maybe you'll stick around for good.
  7. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +215 / 1
    Photos???? There's got to be more photos!!!!
  8. casaboba Member

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Rob, Congratulations on several fronts. Thanks for posting your adventure.
  9. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +888 / 1
    I hardly recognized you with a haircut and a shave. Great fish!
  10. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,734 / 0
    Those guys don't take good pictures. But they are the first to bitch when everybody don't take any.
  11. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +776 / 0
    Great fishing with you Rob - you've got luck on your side - that was the only fish I think we saw going for the surface all day. Well, maybe I need to get my eyes checked too.

It was an awesome float. I'm looking forward to hitting some of the beaches around Seattle with you after work.

Cheers - Jesse
  12. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Hey, I saw I fish rise.
  13. tonemike fish'n glass

Monroe, WA.
    Ratings: +36 / 0
    sure is great to rise a trout with your own tie. nicely done!
  14. TANGLES Richh

Lake Forest Park, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I love the report. It only takes one hooked to get one hooked. You give me hope for the Yak.
  15. Tyler Watters Stickin' pigs.

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Great job Robbbbbbos and Panhandle! Any more open seats in the near future??