yet another spey attempt

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Trevor, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Here's anther attempt. This one was sort modeled after the Gray Heron pattern, but I used a gray hackle rather than a black one. (Interesting to me that the gray heron fly is supposed to be tied with a black hackle...)

I kinda like how the wing and the floss tag came out this time, but I trying a double rib (medium gold and fine silver) and I couldn't get the ribs to stay together. I think that was because the dubbed body wasn't as even as it could be. The gadwall collar gave me fits and I think that part actually looks worst of all. I could not train it the way I wanted it and ended up removing too many barbs while trying to clean it up. *sigh*

This also is my first attempt with Whiting's spey hackle. (FYI, I have no affiliation with any organization associated with the company) It's MUCH cheaper than Blue eared Pheasant! It was only about 30 bucks for a whole cape rather than 12 bucks for 10 (or fewer) feathers. I think it's pretty good material, though it's much more "wispy" than the BEP. It also seems less substantial than the BEP, so I'm not sure how well it will hold up to a fish. Because it is delicate, it's very nice to work with. It folds easily and wraps well and looks decent in a picture. I definitely think it's worth trying.

Trevor

Attached Files:

2. Looking good Trevor. Hopefully the Whittings is getting better. I know it's pretty new, and the stuff I used just wasn't what I'd expected. But heard it's getting better. I'm not a bird rancher, but heard it takes quite a few years to perfect and raise the quality you desire. Not sure how long they've been breeding spey capes, but hopefully it'll get to the spot the tyers will want. I had similar reaction to what I tried (was only some samples). Was nice, but not what I was looking for. Agreed on the BEP, it's pricey. But sometimes you can find deals on it if you look.

3. Trevor, that's just plain nice man. Keep up the good work. Im right behind you a few steps. Well, a lot of steps!

4. .. wait until you see the price of Ivory Bill feathers, LOL