Yet another Watermaster evaluation

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Roper, May 25, 2010.

1. Several months ago a fellow was selling Watermasters at quite a discount, so I grabbed a Grizzly for $800. My life being what it is I had little chance to try it out.

That all changed last Friday as friends descended on my place in Oroville for the yearly Highland Fling. We set out for four days of fishing local Okanogan County lakes. The review for that will be in the stillwater forum.

My biggest complaint is the seat, what a flat, hard, pain in the ass. My cheeks were smarting after about three hours in the saddle. When I dry tested it in the house, I feared the seat back would provide poor support also, not the case, it was fine.

My biggest pleasure in the new float is that it stays put in a wind better than my pontoon did or my Fishcat. And it rows fairly well considering it's big oval "footprint". Getting your fins up on the strap for rowing is somewhat awkward, but can be done with a small grunt or two...:rofl: When rowing the oars tend to "moan" so the new boat has a name, Mona!

The oars collide in the center of the stroke, a puzzling set up at best. It's overcome by dropping one slightly below the other on the stroke.

Storage is non-existant in it's stock form, but the back half has a hard floor that will hold a lot of stuff. One just has to find the bag or tub or whatever that works for them to carry lunch, rain gear, extra fly boxes or whatever. I used my homemade rod holder and with some fussing with it made it work rather easily. The WM stripping apron, an option, works well but I think I'll glue on some velcro pads to change the attach points slightly.

Despite the oar mounts, the oars in stowage position, the multitude of D rings, and other Murphy stuff, there were few if any hangups with my line. I did have one comical thing happen when my sinking line dropped a loop from the stripping apron between my legs into the water. One of the fish I was landing did a perfect "through the eye of the needle" maneuver that was quite amazing if not frustrating.

In summary, the Grizzly is quite a good float for larger water the requires oars to cover ground. It will continue to be refined and accessorized to meet the challenge of a great day on the water.

2. For the pain in yor a$$ try one of those inflatable seat pads from REI, I can't believe how 1.5" of air can make that much of a difference added on top of the seat. The pad also keeps the tosch very warm.

Mike

3. I found a Thermarest Trail Seat cheap at Sportco and used Pliobond to augment the adhesive of three 8" strips of stick on velcro so the adhesive bond is stronger than the velcro bond. I also punched a hole in the bonded seam and ran a cord through it to clip the pad into the seat harness as a fail-safe. It works Great! Very comfy. It's much warmer than sitting on the seat too. The seating surface is a little slippery so I may put some tacky surgical adhesive on the sitting surface to keep from sliding around. Have done that on a Thermarest pad for my sleeping bag.

4. My friend and I have the inflatable seats on the FishCat Deluxe. I haven't tried mine yet in the winter, but my friend put a piece of an old sleeping bag foam pad on top of the inflatable seat. He said it is MUCH warmer than just sitting on the inflated seat. I am sure this is correct because I was using an inflatable mattress in my camper last year and practically froze my ass off and could never sleep on it. Insulation is the answer for your butt too! At least in the wintertime, keep that in mind.

5. Hmmm... I have the Kodiak model, which is 3 inches wider than the Grizzly. Kind of makes you wonder... I have about about a 2.5 inch clearance between the oar handles at the center of the stroke. If they equip both boats with the same oars, seems you would have interference.

But wait! I have the upgraded oars, which I believe Brian Miller measured against with his interim standard oars and they were at least two inches longer. So, if my math is in the ball park, the standard lightweight oars should be OK on the Grizzly.

Any chance you some how ended up with the longer oars at purchase?

6. Roper, On page 38 of the Spring 2010 Campmor catalog they show 2 models of Therm-a-rest seat pads. One of those might fit your seat. On my South Fork I use a 5/8" sheet of styrofoam on the plastic seat for both warmth and a little padding. I attached it with double-sticky carpet tape and it has remained in place for years. I covered the top of the styrofoam with duct tape in the best Red Green tradition and it too has stood the test of time.

I got the idea from a styrofoam toilet seat in an outhouse near Fairbanks years ago. The seat was instantly warm once my bare butt touched it-a pleasant surprise after stalling the action as long as possible in dread of sitting on a cold seat!

I know-TMI.

Ive

7. Roper says, "My biggest complaint is the seat, what a flat, hard, pain in the ass. My cheeks were smarting after about three hours in the saddle."

Good report but that's the problem with skinny guys. There is a permanent solution to your problem, methinks. Eat about 3 extra pieces of bacon every morning and have at least two extra beers or glasses of wine at night. In no time at all you will find the flat hard PITA has gone away. What the hell do you think winter is for? We have to get our bod's in shape for warm weather fishing.

..... and .... am jealous you can get in your fields and mow. My pastures will need the services of a tank with a big disc mower to trim and that is if it quits raining down here by August.
    Peace,
    MikeMc

8. Roper,

Another seat cushion alternative, I bought a square gardening pad at Ace Hardware for $10. About an inch thick and very cushy. I think I can just leave in on the boat so as not to add to set up and take down time.

Sg

9. Sg, good point. I was wondering about that closed cell foam snap together mats for under exercise equipment and stuff. I have a few squares of that and they would be more than large enough to be cut for fitting to any seat. Roper, if you'd like one of them let me know. If I can pass it along to someone to pass on to you or if we can get together I'll hand one over. Ed

10. Agreement. I got the hard seat upgrade. It is like buttah all day. I have fished in that thing for 6 hours straight in comfort. It even magically seems to relieve pressure on your bladder. I strap a fanny pack around the back of it for all my storage needs too.
    Worth every penny, although you could probably make your own with a piece of heavy gage aluminum a drill, miscellaneous hardware, a pontoon seat from Cabelas and proper motivation. I used the stadium seat on the test drive with the loaner from the WFF gear program which motivated me to part with the extra coin. It puts you an inch or two higher than the stock seat, but doesn't adversely effect kicking or rowing.

11. Barbless,

My WM has a pocket on the seat back; doesn't yours? You mention adding a fanny pack to the seat back.

Sg

12. I think Barbless was probably referring to putting a fanny pack on the back of his hard seat. My WM stadium seat has a zip-up pocket but since I don't use it . . .

K

13. Thanks all for the good suggestions, I'm going to look at putting some sort of foam pad on to start with. We'll see how that works and go from there...

14. Yes, that is how I roll. The only time I use the stadium seat is when I forget the hard seat - that has only happened once. It was a hard lesson for my boney but.
    That hard seat is actually the most comfortable seat I own in many ways.