Yeti or?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Mark Walker, Apr 16, 2014.

1. I wonder how many Yeti owners have actually had the opportunity to test the 'Bear Proof" feature in real life? I know it is one of the selling points and looks great in commercials, but is that really as important as it's made out to be?
    Any actual eye witness, real life, accounts would be interesting to hear about.

LB

2. I think the real selling point of the "Bear Proof" feature is that it means you can more easily comply with the USFS rules for food storage.

Trapper

John Hicks and SpiffySteve like this.
  3. Trapper,
    I'm sure you are right about that, I would've guessed that you were most likely to have had a real story about it though.

LB

4. Nope. I haven't had a bear roll my coolers. We did lose a cooler once off a pack mule and the packer didn't know where it fell off. He found it a few days later and a bear had chewed it up, but it wasn't a Yeti or Yeti clone.

I've had bears walk right by the tent I sleep in at night but I haven't had one tear up the cook/mess tent.

We put up a bear fence around the cook tent and when there's no one in camp a bear would have to brave 7,000 volts to get to the cooler.

I REALLY hope I don't ever write a "bear rolled my Yeti" story here.

Trapper

5. I use the coleman extremes.If I pre chill a day before and make sure everything has been in the fridge all night they are good for 4 days in the shade at camp.But they are not bear proof.My german shepard is though.I also find that the bigger ice cubes from my freezer work better than the smaller store bought.All these cooler specs are based doing just what I described above.

here is a review http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Cooler-Reviews

Edit:The differance between the new and old is spray foam.

6. I found out this week that my Igloo Marine 100 is no match for a hungry black bear. 100% my fault. It's always in the vehicle, 'cept when it isn't. Took it out to drain the water and then it ended up by the cook stove. The tequila was flowing and it got forgotten. Woke up to noises in the night. Bear was pawing through everything and eating everything. Paid no mind to my yelling or honking the horn with the panic button. Lesson learned again. Did you know bears don't bother to crack an egg when they eat one...or a dozen.

Jeff Dodd, golfman44 and Steve Call like this.
  7. Seriously? Keep your plain Jane. He is asking about coolers and you offer your input about amortized ice savings. Ever think of just not replying?

Mark, my non bear proof 5 day Coleman did damn fine for four 100* days on the Grand Ronde. I'd love the Yeti, but stuck with a cheaper option. I know folks with Yeti and others with Yukons. All happy campers

bennysbuddy likes this.
  8. Seriously? Yes. Depending on how one intends to use these, the upfront cost to long term payback is a relevant discussion. Case in point, we just returned from MT and fishing with a guide I've known/fished with for years. I noted he used a Coleman and asked him why not the Yeti. His response was that the Coleman works great for his daily outings and that it would take a damn long time to recoup the premium Yeti's fetch.

Things must be slow for you. My response was in May. Forever chasing OMJ's number of posts will make you go insane ;).

9. I've been busy. OMJ is safe from me!

10. Unfortunately, it's not meant for the "daily" user. In the sense that they're home every day like some of the guides are (and I note some of them). There are some of us who are out in the field for a week or two at a time. Not having to get more ice (if you can at times) and spoiled food just two times (and have seen that on failed coolers) would save the cost easy. Don't look at ice, look at the food inside. It wouldn't take long for some of us who actually use our coolers to see the value in saved food costs. If you're an average Joe, it's way overkill. But if you're either cooking professionally or running a long term camp, it's priceless. Spent 5 days on the lower Yak having to pump ice non stop into my coolers. Spent over $75 on ice in those 5 days. A guy I know on this board had a Yeti. Never refilled it with ice and had original ice after 5 days. Well, with some melt, but he had way more ice then I did after refilling all three numerous times over and over again. Had me sold pretty damned quick.

11. I can't speak to the bearproof aspects of coolers. I have however seen a good ice retention idea. Foil bubble rap, the kind you can get at home depot. They made a cover for the cooler. We stored all the long term stuff in it, only opened once a day. It added days to the ice. I think it was just cut to size then taped with foil tape.

12. I agree with Jerry. I cook in the backcountry and we get to my camp on horseback. It's 23 miles to the trailhead over a pass through a wilderness. If you've ridden horses much you know that 23 miles in the backcountry is a long all day ride.

The logistics of packing is a complex one. Basically, you don't put anything on a mule that doesn't have a high weight to pay off value. We'll pack whiskey, but not usually beer unless a client specifically requests it. Eight cases of beer is an entire load for a mule (~160 lbs). Most outfitters will charge $350 - $500 for an extra mule. Liquor in a plastic or stainless container takes up much less room and weight.

Ice is a hell of a luxury for us. When we used regular coolers we'd end up doubling the number of coolers because they were half filled with ice. Double the number of coolers and you double the number of pack stock needed to transport it. That extra mule for a single trip equals the cost of a Yeti or clone.

Yetis pay for themselves in my situation. When I guided I used Yetis because I had them for the pack trips anyway. They would be overkill for someone who does car camping weekend trips.

Trapper

Dan Nelson likes this.
  13. Well, frankly, I don't believe you guys. It's more like you bought into the Yeti cooler hype only subsequently realizing that as your beer supply dwindles you need to run to the store anyway... which makes the extra trips for replacement ice irrelevant ;).

14. Ok, you, the Super Sleuth put the clues together and revealed my true motivations. I bought the Yetis because they have holes in the lid corners so I can put a lock on my coolers to keep my buddies from filching my IPAs, Bochs, and Scottish Ales . . . :)

freestoneangler likes this.
  15. Foil bubble rap, the kind you can get at home depot. They made a cover for the cooler. We stored all the long term stuff in it, only opened once a day. It added days to the ice. I think it was just cut to size then taped with foil tape.

Jeffs point is valid. These foil wraps are used regularly for wine shipping. A blanket of the foil covers the complete load. Might be worth some duct tape and scisors...stuffs pretty inexpensive too.

16. I've used a cheap cooler and used my dads trick. I pack for a week with frozen casseroles and just add ice where needed. When I get to my destination I take a towel and get it wet and place it over the cooler. Keep it wet and your items will stay frozen 5-10 times longer than without the towel. Yes, it works. Looking at the prices of Yetis coolers I'll stick with my old bath towel for a while

17. I was at Yellowstone this June and saw where they test the coolers for the "bear proof" label. Bear proof just means the bear can't tear into the food compartment within a specified period of time. The outer portion of the cooler is still ruined and the purchase of a new cooler is required. Here's one but I don't know the manufacturer. As you can see this one passed the bear test.

DSC_1558.JPG

18. coleman has a new brand called esky sort of a yeti knock off, fisheries supply next to gas works sells both them and the pelican brand. i bought a 85qt for a 2 week camping trip. They make a 55qt too. Kept ice great, even with spending most its time in a hot car.

We had a small cheap cooler for beer, food in the esky. You can freeze a case of pbr or rainier before hand and use it as ice in the big cooler, takes about four days to thaw