You can't have it both ways!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bob Triggs, Jun 6, 2012.

1. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    And the statement below can't be taken as an insult to everyone on this thread. If posting up insults is helpful than I am one of the most helpful people that post here and ever walked into a fly shop. Thanks.

2. BRsnow

BRsnow Member

The thread was hostle and irrational, so I decided to not let the crazed banter go with response. The internet is not the best place to be oversensative. BR

3. 5shot

5shot Member

So you just graduated?

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Nor is it the best place for people who make spelling errors while talking about how smart they are.

Lex Story likes this.
  5. 5shot

5shot Member

May I borrow that quote? :)

6. BRsnow

BRsnow Member

Using an Iphone, it happens. Plus, pulling the "spelling card" is pretty played at this point. BR

Irafly likes this.
  7. BRsnow

BRsnow Member

Nope, I did not just graduate. BR

8. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Media:
    I think BR is actually right about saying the problem is with the shops for putting themselves in that position. It's a tough pill, but I think it has some validity. You can't blame your customer. Capitalism thrives on competition and if you can't adapt to compete, you are going to fail. It's that simple. It's up to the shop owners to adapt to the modern day consumer in order to stay afloat. Otherwise, business will go elsewhere, which is exactly what you are seeing with the showroomers. A few good ideas have already been said in this thread: increase your online presence, figure out a way to price match, Always Be Closing, find out what the customers intentions are early on in the sale and adapt to sell to his/her needs.

jordan101 likes this.
  9. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

This year I have to plead guilty to getting fit in the store and buying online. My son in law has a pro discount with Black Mountain, a manufacturer of alpine touring gear. I went to a local store to get the right fit and then ordered them online. I felt pretty guilty about it, but the boots were 50% off retail and saving $250 is a compelling reason for doing it, but I still felt like crap! (I did go to a local shop to mount the AT bindings on my new skis, fit the skins to the skis and to custom fit my boots.) They were great to work with and I was glad to pay for their service. So the reason the shop didn't get my business had nothing at all to do with their marketing skill! Rick

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    There isn't much they can do. All they can do is add value to their service, which people take advantage of before saving a few bucks in taxes when ordering online. Shops can't adjust prices (those are set by the brands, typically), and they sure can't do away with taxes. Their hands are tied in most cases.

11. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    This is a good way for your son to lose his pro discount

12. 5shot

5shot Member

The Pac-12 didn't exist a year ago.

13. PETI

PETI Member

Apparently reading comprehension isn’t a requirement for a degree any longer, but rationalizing a deficiency in integrity is.

Stewart likes this.
  14. Wilken

Wilken Member

Blaming the flyshop is utter nonsense when applied to the situation in the original posting. In that case, the "customer" has already decided to deceptively use the flyshop with no intention of buying anything. They try stuff on, pick the brains of the staff for gear information and fishing locations all the while fully knowing that they are not going to buy a damn thing. Now what can the fly shop owner/staff do about that? Think about it. Do you have a favorite fly shop? Do you think they give good advice, provide excellent service and adequately stock quality equipment? Of course you do or you wouldn't go there or consider them your favorite shop. Now, do you think there are "customers" of that shop that meet the description provided at the beginning of this thread? Of course there are!!!!!!! According to BRsnow that's the shop's fault and they are doing something wrong. What a load of horseshite!!!!! I really like the fly shop I frequent and the business is run very well and has surived for many years and they still get their share of cheap assholes that come in there and use the staff and try on equipment with every intention of walking out and ordering online. These "customers" are lying scum because they know they are giving the impression that they are real customers and they also know they are not going to give the shop one penny from the time they walk through the door. No integrity, no respect and probably the type of person I would prefer never to fish with. Do I order online? Yes. Do I look for better deals than the ones in my shop (ie used rods on CL)? Hell yes. But I would never go to try new gear in the shop, lead the staff to think I'm there to buy that very equipment and then walk out without a purchase when I feel like I have extracted enough of the free information that I have deceptively attained. And what can the fy shop do? Either smile and hope they buy something next time or give them a lecture about their deceptive behavior and hope they are embarassed enough that they don't come back. Bit in the latter case, you risk losing paying customers who are the cheap asshole's friends and believe the lies he will surely tell to support his behavior and attack the shop. So, what do you have to say to that BR?

Excellent point PETI. Certainly wouldn't frequent any shop BR was running that's for sure!!!!

Wilken

15. BRsnow

BRsnow Member

I have no doubt you are already a customer of mine is some form. I think you lack manners and make little sense trying to hide that fact by using slang words. BR

16. BRsnow

BRsnow Member

For some folks you don't need to rationalize their deficiency. BR

17. BRsnow

BRsnow Member

Correct it was the Pac -10, they added two schools making it currently the Pac-12. BR

18. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Media:
    I get it. Rock>shop<hardplace. However, if the tax breaks are what's holding them back, why aren't the shops taking advantage of the same tax breaks other retailers are for selling online? You're pointing out a clear competitive advantage of why they are losing business. Might be time for a new look of how they approach their business model.

19. Etamaman

Etamaman Member

Media:
    X-Fox Island, WA now back down south across the li
    I rarely set foot in a Flyshop unless I am buying something, looking for a certain product, or visiting to say Hi. I am guilty of stopping by to ask how the fishing has been and not immediately buying something, but I will return and buy something for sure. I may buy something online in the meantime, but always come back to the Flyshop to support them when I can. You can not examine feathers, materials or other fly products online.

However, the online businesses that offer up "good deals" are somewhat more attractive since the Economy took a dive. I think not only the Flyshop owners are feeling this, but anyone that is in the Sporting Goods type business is feeling it. Heck, I am not a business owner of any type and I feel it.
    It must be tough to compete with these online businesses and I thank every Flyshop that has tried their best to compete and help their customers out wherever they can....Hats off to you Flyshops.

Sorry to hear someone came in and decided not to buy your product after your help, but don't burn your bridges too soon.....They will return to buy more stuff than just boots.

20. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Getting the sales tax break only applies when selling to someone out of state. To serve their local customers, they have to charge sales tax. Many local shops have taken to doing online sales, like Pacific Fly Fishers. But even if I ordered from them sitting right here at my computer, I'd still get hit with taxes.