You caught a what?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by oldskool, Nov 14, 2009.

1. "Q"

"Q" Member

Earlier this year I hooked and landed a fly that I had lost the previous day on the Deschutes.

2. Jason Shutt

Jason Shutt Dues past due

Media:
    A moon snail out of Hood Canal. That thing fought like a cat trying to claw its way out of a bathtub.

3. Mayfly Aviator

Mayfly Aviator Member

Media:
    A seal at Lincoln Park, he took it clean and ran out 1/2 of my backing before surfacing.

4. Gatorator

Gatorator Member

A Pelican in Australia. They are a lot bigger in the boat than sitting on the water by the way. :eek:

A Loon on a 14 inch Rainbow at Hihume Lake in September. It swallowed the fish and I had to cut the leader. I would have thought it would have broken the leader but it didn't.

An 18 plus pound Bull Trout that took a 10 inch Whitefish on a river to remain anonymous in September. It also refused to let go and my buddy managed to get behind it with the net.

My Mother's ear with a back cast when I was 8. It's been almost 50 years and she still brings it up. :hmmm:

5. oldskool

oldskool Guest

After fighting this thing for 10 minutes, my buddy landed a beautiful 1940-50 Willys Jeep steering wheel.

It's now proudly mounted, no joke, in his rod building/fly tying man cave at home.

6. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Media:
    My Grandmothers wig, with a big ol' treble hook spoon, when I was about thirteen fishing for Pike in the Northern Channel of Lake Huron. She was pissed, too.:rofl:

7. jumbo215

jumbo215 Jasper hickman

Media:
    my dog duke, its almost been a catch and release thing.

8. oldskool

oldskool Guest

"An 18 plus pound Bull Trout that took a 10 inch Whitefish on a river to remain anonymous in September. It also refused to let go and my buddy managed to get behind it with the net." - Gatorator

I had the exact same thing happen to me! Only mentioned it to a few people who thought I was full of poo. My brother was there, we had no net, but the Bull trout practically beached itself a couple of times chasing the fish after losing it's grip. It too was around 20lbs. My whitefish measured 13" and had jaw marks just behind the gill plates and just ahead of the tail. Kept the whitefish to take a picture of it later, lost the pic some years back. :mad:

9. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Not I, but my fishing buddy caught a bat while we were fly fishing a beaver pond late one evening. He thought he had drowned it dead after holding it under water for a good 5 minutes (he reeled the bat and fly up to his rod tip to do this). It was too dark to fish, so he put the rod and bat in the back of the canopy of his truck. When we got home, the bat was alive!

10. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've caught a couple odd things. I caught a girlfriend once (she wasn't one at the time). She was bathing on the river bank I was fishing and my fly (thankfully) only hooked her bikini. We dated for awhile, until the commute to see her killed me.

My funniest one was gear fishing. Was mooching off Pt Defiance. Had a solid bump and set the hook. Felt the "fish" bounce on the line. It kept swimming around the boat. As I'd work it up, it would change directions around the boat. When I got it into view, I had hooked a barnicle on a rock. As I reeled up, it hit the different currents coming up and would change the rocks direction (plus we were on the drift too not under power).

Also caught a 6 pack of rainier (back when they had two push tabs to drink them). I was only like 8 at the time though, so my Dad confiscated them. LOL.

11. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

In my long fishing career, I've caught many oddities: a seagull, a robin (mid-flight on a forward cast), several clams/mussels, a snapping turtle, a snake, two frogs, a gar, a boot, a beer can, my own finger.

The last one in the list was way back in the early 1990's, and convinced me to de-barb each and every hook in my entire arsenal. It makes getting out of a pickle far easier.

12. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

In a lifetime of fishing I have caught most of the usual "odd-ball" catches - several bats, swallows, sea-gulls, mallards, bull frogs, snapping turles, a couple snakes, filleted rocfkish on the Nooksack, various inanimate objects, etc. However the most notable was the one that got away.

While fishing a nice pool along I-90 I somehow managed to "hook" a semi on my backcast. While the fight was short lived I swear that it ripped line from my reel at a rate that approached 60 mph. Unfortuantely the 3# tippet proved to be inadequate to slow down let alone stop that beast.

Tight lines
    Curt

13. jobyksu

jobyksu Long Drift Trouter

One of my early fishing memories - casting spinners on a zebco at the lake when I was about 10 years old. I thought I got hung up about 10 yards from shore, but it slowly came in. When I got it in, I had mono lining the treble. I pulled on it, and not too long later here came a spinning rod, still attached, with a nice shimano reel.

Of course, the other end was still out there - and sure enough - fish on. I got the fish in close enough to see a flash and a splash before the line broke. Luckily - 2 uncles and a number of cousins were there to verify my story.

I used that rod until the end of high school. The lost fish still torments me, though.

14. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Now that story made my day. Thanks for posting it.
    Sounds like something I would do.

15. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I caught many a sheepshead while living in florida. Man they're tasty :thumb:
    [​IMG]

I also caught a stingray, a shovelhead shark, and a baby goliath grouper during my time there

16. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I snagged a C&R net from the bottom of an OP lake, and lost another one in another OP lake the following year, for a net gain of zero.:rofl:

Dang, Curt, I wish I could have been there to see that semi rip line off your reel. That would have been absolutely hilarious to witness.

Back in the mid-60's I hooked a large steelhead fishing in the lower Dungeness River. As it was ripping line off the cheap spinning reel i was using, the drag dial loosened and a bird's nest suddenly formed in my line and fouled on the bail, resulting in my line snapping. Happened so fast I didn't have time to think and run after the fish.
    I re-rigged, resumed fishing, and pretty soon hooked the end of some mono. Looked familiar, and I pulled it tight. That was a mistake! The steelie was still hooked, and now I was handlining it. It ran downstream, taking me running after it to the low end of the gravel bar. Below was a deep hole. I had the bitter end of the line wrapped around my hand, and fought the fish the best I could, but it still had a lot of juice left, and busted me off.
    If that ever happens to you, don't check to see if the fish is still on before you barrel knot your line back together. If the fish feels you, you won't have a chance!

17. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    there were some pretty funny ones on a similar thread a couple years ago http://washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=42746

Last spring, between Hebgen and Quake lakes on the Madison, I hooked a fly line and began pulling it in thinking I may find someone's rod. Instead, I produced the terminal end with a short leader, swivel, egg hook and a decaying sculpin impaled through the lip. That was either one hell of a strong sculpin or I discovered Matney's secret.

18. Trevor Thorp

Trevor Thorp Happy to be home in the NW

Media:
    Painted Turtle at a gravel pit in Michigan.

19. sroffe

sroffe Member

Curt,

You reminded me of a similar event that happened to me. We were on a family trip touring Yellowstone and the Teton's way back when I was a kid. I was fishing with my 6 foot yellow Eagle Claw rod and Mitchell spinning reel. One of the best casts of the day, went over a bridge. As I was contemplating my next move a car proceeds over the bridge. Oh Oh. Then I heard a screech of the tire when the driver noticed a line of monofilament running from one side of the bridge to the other. I guess that would have been a refusal, eh?

ShiTzu no fight there. Duck, seagull, star fish, sea anemone, sea cucumbers, squid. A guy I was with caught a suit case drifting down the Yakima.

20. GStange

GStange New Member

some sort of flounder on the lower cowlitz while swingn a fly.