You caught a what?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by oldskool, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +350 / 0
    I think the strangest thing I ever saw was a few years ago. I took my Grandson fishing. We were fishing out of my boat and i was letting him do the fishing and I did the talking.
    Well he caught and landed a couple of respectable trout. I am a C&R man myself, but since these were special fish to him, we took them home. I told him right off that there was two rules in my boat. #1 was I was the Captain and #2 was "If you catch it, and you kill it, you clean it and you eat it." So when we got home we went out side to clean the two trout. The first one and largest one had a rubber toy lizard in his stomach. It had apparently been there for some time because it was deteriorated to a degree. Apparently it had fallen into the lake and mr trout thought it was dinner. No wonder he was hungry.
  2. Scott Keith Member

Arlington, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Caught a 6' long rattler once in it's side while fishing in a canal in Texas... Yes it was a rattler... no it wasn't a water moccasin.
  3. oldskool Guest

I've had a couple of those slither across my boots while fishing...but what I want to know is, how do you release one? :hmmm:
  4. Mark Moore Active Member

Vancouver, Wa.
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    In two pieces....:D
  5. Colin new member name

Port Orchard, WA
    My fishing buddy, in the head.
    Salmon Tail, just the tail.
    And a couple of beer cans.
  6. zinger Paul Singer

Phinney Ridge (Seattle, WA)
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Fishing a farm pond in Ohio years ago. Hooked a bluegill. While reeling it in, a gargantuan largemouth bass rocketing up from the depths, slammed, then swallowed the 'gill. I caught a fish that caught a fish. Freaky.
  7. Split Bamboo Member

Tacoma, Washington
    A seagull, it took line in the air..., a dead bat floating down the river, two pollock on a cut plug herring, and a fresh water clam. One of the most interesting...up above Staircase on the Skokomish, I caught a rainbow on a small stimulator, the poor guy had a worm hook in its mouth and a snap swivel hanging out its ass...the line was attached. I cut the line at the hook, and slowly pulled the line out his ass. Hopefully his digestion improved!
  8. Colin new member name

Port Orchard, WA
    Forgot about the bass with a rooster tail in mouth attached to a soda can.
  9. Paul Norton Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I was 6, and on the back cast I planted the hook in the bridge of my father's nose.
  10. Bruce Davidson formerly hatman

SeaTac, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    I caught a pristine Sage 590 (crappy reel) in the eye with a #12 chironomid at Lenice many years ago.
    It's become my favorite trout rod.

Hooked several frigate birds at Christmas Island trolling big poppers offshore.
    Very unpleasant experience.
  11. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    I caught a sea cucumber once, that was possibly the grossest thing I've ever seen
  12. CLO @camowenz - Instagram

Seattle
    Ratings: +166 / 0
    i caught a caddis larva while nymphing
  13. Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Amazingly horrible joke! but i love puns!
  14. oldskool Guest

Careful CLO, nymph'rs are looked down on at this site...."Nymphing for steelhead.....why are folks against it? :hmmm:
  15. RoyS Member

Shady Cove, OR
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Hooked something in a lake one time several years ago. It didn't fight like a fish but I was able to slowley bring it up being careful not to break off. As it neared the surface and the water started to clear I saw that it was a fully stuffed canvess bank bag with the bank's name on the side. I thought I had won the lottery. :thumb: However after getting it in the boat and opening it, I found it full of corn. :beathead: Somebodys unique method of chumming for fish.

RoyS
  16. Krystoff Member

Woodinville, WA
    The oddest things I have ever caught was a Skate and an Arctic Tern.
  17. DonChilds Have Spey Will Travel

Sedro-Woolley, WA
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    One Muscrat Rocky Ford on a emerger patern. Two Pelicans. One about ½ miles from Diamond Head using a very large Marlin lure the other off the coast of Oregon using a red and white Tuna jig. Several seagulls fly lining anchovies. Two or three cats playing in the back yard and of course myself lost count on how many times that’s happened.
    Now if only I could catch a Steelhead?
  18. GATOR9 Hey you guys

Yakima, Wa.
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    A 12' yellow kayak on the Tieton river. The owner was glad to get it back. My son caught a frog that liked his fly. I am quite sure too that I have caught every known type of tree in the state of Washington.
  19. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +218 / 0
    Caught a bat once and just this last year caught a chicken bone in a lake.
  20. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Snagged a duck in mid flight yesterday while I was Steelhead fishing. Just happened to hit it mid cast, didn't even see it coming.