Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

You caught a what?

5K views 65 replies 52 participants last post by  scottybs 
G
#1 ·
Stewart gave me the idea with the fly question. What is the strangest, weirdest, or craziest thing you've ever caught/snagged alive or inanimate object.

#4 ·
I once caught a dead rainbow trout that had literally been stripped and looked half filleted. No idea how it happened but the damn thing was hooked in the mouth.

other than that, caught the biggest sculpin of my life fishing for pinks this past summer.

#5 ·
A bat . . . White Miller on the Big Hole River above Divide. A beaver below the Beartrap of the Madison one winter. A gull on Georgetown Lake (swooped on a streamer pattern in the air). A rock shaped like a bagel while walleye fishing years ago below McNary Dam . . . fought well, too . . . thought it was a Walligator until it hit the surface. Forgot one . . . a friend hoisted-up a stainless prop & outdrive one winter while ice-fishing for Perch at Soda Lake.

#6 ·
A mallard hen at Cottage Lake - While trolling with an intermediate line the # 12 hook of my six-pack fly snagged her in the web of her foot. She was so happy to be released that she left a rather slimy brown deposit on the sleeve of my new fleece jacket. That's duck gratitude for you.

#7 ·
A fish caught my wife... she wanted to try and get the hook out by herself... she succeeded in releasing the fish and hooking herself in the hand in the process... unfortunately there was just enough of a bump left in the clamped down barb that getting it out took a little while since it hadn't gone through all the way

#11 ·
I was trying to catch a Hawaiian bone from Kauai a couple of weeks ago. I saw some nervous water and then just barley saw something under the water. I cast leading it about 5 or 6 feet. I felt the take, strip strike and the line was screaming off the reel. Holy mother this thing was heavy and still going. 45 seconds or so later a big turtle head popped out of the water. Oops!!...I need to improve my bonefish spotting skills. Pointed the rod at it and clamped down until the barbless hook straightened out. I didn't want to land it.

G
#13 ·
If it was anything like the turtles I saw when I was there....you weren't going to land it if you wanted to. I snorkeled down there and actually grabbed one at the back end of it's shell. Not a good idea. They are very, very strong.

#16 ·
Sheepshead, like a jumbo panfish. I've caught them up to about 8 pounds. Pretty simple looking in photo sample #1, but check out them chompers in photo sample #2. I could not find a photo of the sheepshead tongue, which is covered with molars like those on the roof of its mouth. Eats shellfish like crab, barnacles, etc. Cruching is not problem with a mouth full of molars. Weird fish.

G
#19 ·
My wife while fishing from my drift boat with a two hander(learning curve there man) note: don't have anyone in the boat while fishing a Spey rod, my wife still reminds me now and again when I'm braggin about a good day casting.

#24 ·
A Pelican in Australia. They are a lot bigger in the boat than sitting on the water by the way. :eek:

A Loon on a 14 inch Rainbow at Hihume Lake in September. It swallowed the fish and I had to cut the leader. I would have thought it would have broken the leader but it didn't.

An 18 plus pound Bull Trout that took a 10 inch Whitefish on a river to remain anonymous in September. It also refused to let go and my buddy managed to get behind it with the net.

My Mother's ear with a back cast when I was 8. It's been almost 50 years and she still brings it up. :hmmm:

G
#28 ·
"An 18 plus pound Bull Trout that took a 10 inch Whitefish on a river to remain anonymous in September. It also refused to let go and my buddy managed to get behind it with the net." - Gatorator

I had the exact same thing happen to me! Only mentioned it to a few people who thought I was full of poo. My brother was there, we had no net, but the Bull trout practically beached itself a couple of times chasing the fish after losing it's grip. It too was around 20lbs. My whitefish measured 13" and had jaw marks just behind the gill plates and just ahead of the tail. Kept the whitefish to take a picture of it later, lost the pic some years back. :mad:

#29 ·
Not I, but my fishing buddy caught a bat while we were fly fishing a beaver pond late one evening. He thought he had drowned it dead after holding it under water for a good 5 minutes (he reeled the bat and fly up to his rod tip to do this). It was too dark to fish, so he put the rod and bat in the back of the canopy of his truck. When we got home, the bat was alive!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.