you know you're a fly fisherman when....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by David Prutsman, Dec 15, 2005.

1. salt dog

salt dog card shark

...when you hold longer, more affectionately, and more often your fly rod than your spouse.

...when you can follow a trail through your house to your tying table by the sparkle and glow of small pieces of 'krystal flash' in the carpet.

2. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

When Jungle cock for xmas is a good thing.

When watching the TV just does not feel right unless the vise and some feathers are on the coffee table.

When you met up in person with strange men and women you met up on line without making sure you meet in a public place first.

3. Piscivorous

Piscivorous New Member

When your girlfriend complains that fishing is "the other woman" in the relationship.

When you look at your checking account and ask how many trips to the river it will buy you.

When your peers ask why you often have remnants of feathers on your clothing.

4. Monk

Monk Redneck

When you fish before work, after work.... and at WORK!!!!:beer2:

5. David Prutsman

David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

I do that all the time!

6. Porter

Porter Active Member

Or you walk right into the river w/o waders thinking you have them on...done it.

7. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Porter, congrats on #1000 !!!!

8. Porter

Porter Active Member

yeah...I knew I was close didn't realize that that was the one...I was hoping to make a more profound statement like wolves in the OP or something. But now I can tease the OM ...couldn't really before.

9. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

When you save up your pocket change for a year, to buy raffle tickets for a spey rod, that you finally end up winning, and it turns out to be worth more than your fishing truck.

When it is mid January, 28 degrees and 7:00 a.m., and you have been camping out on your favorite stretch of the Hoh River, and all of the roads leading to Forks are frozen solid with black ice, and you make your first cast of the day- all alone- nothing but you, the ice,the eagles and fish.

When you drive up the Queets road on Christmas morning and no one else is there- not on the entire 13 mile drive to the campground at Sam's Creek, and you fish all day alone, and you make a little fire that evening and have dinner alone under the icy stars, and all you can feel is warm inside. And now, since the road is blocked off and you will have to walk half the way up there and back, you dont mind one bit.

When, between Thanksgiving and Christmas, you get twenty five catalogs from fly fishing manufacturers- heavily featuring the latest and greatest of all the new technologies and contraptions and updated easier-to-cast-farther lines and rods etc- and you then feed every one of them into the glowing hot woodstove, and you go fishing with your old favorite rod and catch fish anyway.

When you are driving home and you dont mind that you and your waders and gear all smell like fish.

When you are glad to know that everyone else is posting here and that the rivers are wide open to you.

10. Monk

Monk Redneck

I know I have had a good year when my waders haven't been dry once. This year was one of those years. I am thinking I need another pair so I can keep em from getting so funky.

11. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

When looking at houses you compromise on the number of bathrooms, because the house has the perfect fly tying room.

IRA..

12. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

13. Mingo

You have to pee so bad your bladder is about to explode like the Hindenburg but you won't wade to the riverbank because you have to make "one more cast" to that slot you just know holds a fish................

If a flyfisherman's driftboat really held a higher rank than their wife/gf, it's time for a new wife/gf - but I would bet she's already looking to trade HIS sorry arse in on a new model!!!! .:rofl: (one that likes Oprah and ballroom dancing)

14. Cactus

Cactus Dana Miller

When you only try to identify the flies in Mingo's avitar!

15. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

When you blow off 4th period, lunch, and 5th period in order to hit some fresh steelhead. Upon arival, you find the river is frozen and still fish anyways.

Back in time for math and no worse for the wear.

High School rocks.

16. Mingo

You take out an "emergency needs short-term student loan" from your University to buy a 5 wt rod and a used Fender Tweed guitar amp because both blew up the previous weekend (true story)

17. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Say, aren't you supposed to be moderating instead of fishing?

Happy holidays B-)

K

18. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

You know you are a flyfisher,I have no idea what to put here. My mind is a blankbawling: bawling:

Jim:beathead:

19. FISHTOLIVE

FISHTOLIVE MEMBER

When you look at the daughter's fish tank and wounder how to get her angel fish to take a dry!

20. Miller

Miller Member

...Your fiance goes to buy new AFTER a full day of work and the shoe salesman notices that there has been a woolhead sculpin stuck in her sock all day.

...when the first thing you do once getting home from a fishing trip is call your buddy and start planning the next weekend.

....when you read through these posts and relate to a good number of them.