You know you're getting old(er), when...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kaiserman, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

You can recall good local steelhead fishing.

Nooksack Mac likes this.
  2. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

We call those Jaguars!

3. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

When shopping for new sunglasses for fishing, bifocals is a must-have and no longer a want

4. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

...you think 6 hours of fishing is enough, 9 is too much, and 12 is out of the question.

Steve Call likes this.
  5. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

When you no longer just "run up" that hillside chasing chuckars!

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  6. Methow

Methow Active Member

When you don't look twice at a 25 year old cause you have daughter the same age.

Steve Call and Skysoldier like this.
  7. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

You can tell whether you're 'Old' by simply looking down at your wrist. If you're wearing a wristwatch, you'd Old.

Why? Young people don't wear watches. When they want to know what time it is, they pull out their smartphones.

K

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Or when you go skinny water fishing, you try not to have to get wet. You can say "It's fine fishing from the bank"

On another note. I have yet to step into a stream yet this summer. All my fishing has been from the bank. Most of the places I have been fishing are small skinny water. No need to wade. I can hit the other bank from the side I'm standing on. And yes, there are fish in them waters.

9. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

When your WFF nickname is "OLD MAN"!

When you refer to kids and that's for someone in there 20's and 30's... and you get called "Sir".. and look behind you to see who them damn kids are referring too... :-(

Skysoldier and wadin' boot like this.
  10. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

You kick off sentances with:

"Kids these days are up to no good...."
    "Get your ball out of my yard..."
    "Look at those at-risk teens...." (usually in reference to any teenagers)
    "Let me see if I can find that record, I know it's here somewhere..."
    "I better go, this is a long distance call"
    "Betty and i took some great slides in Aculpulco, how bout you and Nancy come over for a casserole and a slide show?"

or you know where this came from or have had similar conversations with friends:

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.
    SECOND YORKSHIREMAN: House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.
    THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor! (etc etc)

11. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

When your wading staff hass four legs. (Some wags would refer to it as a walker)
    jesse

flybill likes this.
  12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

When you have to get up in the night twice to go pee, then lay awake for an hour or more, then go to work and fall asleep at your desk in the middle of working on a project. Naw, it never happened . . .

Lugan and Steve Call like this.
  13. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

At least you won't remember you did all of the above... just that you have to pee again and your knees and back crack as you get up! Nah, that never happened... what was I saying? Who is this?

14. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

When your testicles hang lower then your penis!

15. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

When drinking to much hurts for the next few days.

Lugan and Skysoldier like this.
  16. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Yo! Glad to see that I'm not the only one feelin' as old as dirt this morning:

I checked my "retirement account" online before I checked the swell and wind forecasts. When I finally got around to checking the forecasts and buoy reports, I was glad to see that the surf is still small enough for a brittle old man to go play around in. I am almost recovered from my 2-hour session in "user-friendly" 2' waves on Monday. At least I didn't injure myself.
    I used to ride my bike down to the beach to check the surf first thing, hoping to see stacked sets of adrenaline-pumping, grinding, double-overhead barrels, but now I hope for clean sets of waist-to-head high peelers, with enough time between the sets to rest and catch my breath, and an easy paddle out.
    I'll now surf in tiny 1' - 2' slop that I never would have given a second thought about, because "I can use the workout."
    I sometimes find myself surfing in the same lineup with the boyfriend of one of my ex-girlfriend's granddaughters. He gradded from high school last spring. I think I have even surfed with a great-grandkid of one of my friends, but I can't remember which one.
    The hard core ideal of "surfing until you die," or "surfing 'til you can no longer get someone to wheel you down to the water's edge," is starting to lose its appeal.

I am still babying my right arm after I tweaked a tendon casting my 6 wt all day on the river back in June. No more "all day casting" for this kid!

And yes, I need to get yet another eye exam and some new bifocals.

17. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

When the hardest think you do in a day is put on your socks!

GBeeman

18. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

When you stop wondering what you'll be when you grow up.

19. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

When you need glasses to tie a fly on or you have to think twice about crossing a river that is over knee deep.

Olive bugger and Steve Call like this.
  20. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

At least I'm a happy Old Man. I don't need glasses to thread a fly or hit that little hole in the eye. My problem comes from trying to tie the knot. I shake so bad, it's comical to watch myself do it. I almost end up crying because of it. But I stick with it until I get it done.

Or when you add tippet to your leader and you discover the you tied both ends of the tippet together.

Steve Call and Bill Aubrey like this.