You Lucky Bastard...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by pinkygonzales, Mar 13, 2012.

1. pinkygonzales

pinkygonzales Swingin' for them shiny steel

Home Page:
    So as I have lamented in another thread two, I have been out at least 10 times, probably 15 since early January, and have nary-a-bite to show for it. I'm bummed, guys. I'm freakin' heartbroken. I mean, the costs are high, the weather is crappy, and I have to look at views like this while I exercise for hours on end.

[​IMG]

But seriously, with every perfect cast, I think, "that's the one, baby!" And then... I wait... and end up stripping that sucker back just like the last 10,000 casts before it.

So let's lighten the mood. I want to hear your "I can't believe that caught a fish" stories. The rats nest cast that took home a beauty... the "dropped my rod and still got that sucker biting" and the ever-popular, "I was just reeling it in to call it a day when..."

Help a guy out, fly-folks. It can't really be THIS hard... can it?

-Pinky

PS: That's the Washougal last weekend. Ain't she a beauty?

2. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    I've never fished the Washougal...and your post isn't exactly making me yearn to do so :)

3. pinkygonzales

Home Page:
    Make no mistake! I have fished the Washougal once. It is mostly the Sandy that has me striking out. Is there no one with a story of getting lucky???

4. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    Damn. That is sexy.

5. PT

PT Physhicist

Ya, but I don't think it's appropriate for this forum. I don't really consider it luck though.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  6. pinkygonzales

Home Page:
  7. dreamonafly

dreamonafly Member

Media:
    Pinky... My sentimental is the same.. I do feel you.. I been there at least 6 times since all our river on this side are closed... You would aspect it to be a zoo out in the OP.. But thats has not been the case.. Onle one day last month I bump into two other fisherman on the same run...

I only been lucky once, and that's all it takes for me.. There's many times, I feel this is such a sweet spot, well I would spend hours just work the same spot, but at the end the same result, I sometime just give it a good laught.. Still so bless just to be able to stand on a river.. Keep up the faith....

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I tied up this gaudy pink fly and put a large plastic washer on the front to try to give the fly a ton of action. First I wanted to see it swimming up close to see how that flat front would handle the water and add to the movement of all that bright maribou. I only had the leader out, no more than a few inches of fly line out the tip top and dropped the fly in the Bogy. Swimming madly from left to right, irregularly and really active, the fly had some potential. I then watched it as I wondered could I cast the darn thing. Just as I was about to strip out some line and see if that fly would fly well when cast, wham. Out of nowhere a fin clipped rainbow (screw you all that ruined my stoke a few years back by saying it was not a steelhead...) came up and hammered that fly no more than 12' from my feet. That had to be the dumbest fish ever created in a hatchery program.

9. Tool Fly

Tool Fly Member

Maybe not the ending you were hoping for, but years ago I was trout fishing above the locked gate in Maupin in early October. I was floating an October caddis and had just lost a really nice fish after a 3-second tussle. Exasperated, I just stood there while my line straightened and swung in the current, settling above a shallow riffle close to shore. You guessed it: Wham! Snap! More dejected shoulder slumping. Should have been swinging for steel to begin with...

10. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    It's not, when you pay for it.

11. pinkygonzales

Home Page:
    Now we're talkin'! I am often reminded of the old adage, "I would rather be lucky than smart any day." Sounds like this fish and I could both use some dumb luck right about now.

12. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Thats for sure, just knowing you are able to stand in such a beatiful natural setting.

Think you need to find your own dumb fish to hook.

13. seaalki

seaalki Member

Her is a Koan from the 12th century by Gyosen that fits your image of the Washougal:

I asked the river
    About its destination
    And came out Lucky:
    It babbled about nothing
    And never came to a point

Gyosen

A Koan consists of a story, question, or statement, the meaning of which cannot be understood by rational thinking, but may be accessible through intuition or lateral thinking.

14. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Pinky,

That photo makes a nice setting. Question: are there any fish there? I struck out the last 3 weekends and got rain soaked besides. Didn't even bring home a nice photo like yours.

And no, it ain't that hard. Learning how to fish for steelhead, that is. What I've found most difficult is to fish for steelhead when there are fish in the water I'm fishing. I fish over a lot of empty water, so I try to fish a lot of water in a day. The flip side is knowing that good numbers of fish are in a particular area and then fishing that place hard. But even the best angler can't catch a fish that isn't there.

Sg

15. pinkygonzales

Home Page:
    Hear hear, SG. I have no idea if there were any fish in there that day or not. I was with a buddy on his very first fly outing so we weren't really expecting much, but I have spent at least 40 hours, probably more, coming up empty on the Sandy River down in Oregon this year. If it weren't so expensive I would love to go out with a guide who could at least critique my swing, line choice and presentation. I find it much more enjoyable to come out empty handed when I know I did the right thing but just didn't find fish. It's much more frustrating to wonder... "Is it me?" Hence the reason I love this forum. Misery loves company. Hearing that others strike out a lot too at least gives me hope that I'll have my day yet. Especially as the Chinook & summers start running.

16. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Well if you weren't really expecting much, and you don't know if there were any fish there, you've pretty much got your answer. Oh, that's just great, a newb taking out another newb. That's a good way to increase your odds of getting skunked. Raise your expectations, and fish over fish. If you're gonna' bother to fish with someone else, at least pick someone who knows what the hell they're doing. Then you'll see it ain't that big a deal.

Sg

17. pinkygonzales

Home Page:
    Yea, not at all my point, but ok.

18. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Several times I've hooked fish over the side of the boat after just tossing the fly in after releasing a fish.

One day I landed the same trout twice, I knew because it was such a unique fish, which made me wonder how often that happens without knowing it.

I once hooked a fish on my backcast that sat on the water a bit to long.

I was realing in a line to moved it out of the way when my buddy hooked a
    sturgeon. While reeling in I also hooked a sturgeon, but mine was bigger.

19. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Or how about when you are walking upstream and a fish hits. Classic.

20. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Geez Pinky, you began this thread kinda' whinin' about not hooking up. Then you give me a thumb down. This makes me think you don't recognize constructive advice when you read it. You're making it hard for a guy to help you. You can be the best caster, but if you don't learn to fish where fish are and when they are there, and then choose a fishing partner who knows less about it than you do, you're only handicapping yourself. Sorry if you don't get it.

Sg