You might just be a flyfisher with cabin fever if...

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Cataraft fishing, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Cataraft fishing

Cataraft fishing New Member

while sitting at your flytying desk, you drop a clear bead while working on a spider pattern and pull out no less than six flies - all different patterns - from your shag carpet. You recognize each one from the long winter of tying.

You never do find the glass bead.

:ray1:

When is the warmer weather coming?

LKY

2. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: you must have shag carpet

i did that today too, but i dropped a hook. thankfully i found it.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

You might be just be a flyfisher with cabin fever if you repeatedly tumble dry your daughter's sparkle orange antron blanket just to harvest the lint from it to use as dubbing.

It is a truly great body color and less mess than combing the three orange cats.

4. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

I tried to stand up yesterday and my slippers were stuck together.It turned out to be a lightning bug that was stuck to one slipper for god knows how long and had now also become stuck in the other slipper.After an operation to separate I found four more flies in the carpet and one stuck to the bath mat in the bathroom.No blood though.

5. DLoop

DLoop Creating memories one cast at a time

I feel better knowing I'm not alone in doing this.

6. Ed Call

The best dubbing comes from the remnants of fine knittings left in the dryer lint trap. Almost a rewable resource.

7. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

maybe that is an electrical tax write off or something :confused:

my favorite dubbing is from game that Ive taken although i to have picked stuff off of blankets while watching tv

8. PEI.Salar.Salmo

PEI.Salar.Salmo New Member

You know you have it BAD when you try Spey casting with a Vaccum Cord. :beathead::D

Nic

9. Ed Call

Seriously great stuff. As my wife has explained it this blanket is 40 years old from her grandmother. She did not know that it still was putting off lint after that long. No idea what yarn they used back then, but it has a very shimmery appearance. Great body dubbing material, blends well with other materials.

Attached Files:

10. Bullwhacker

Bullwhacker Member

I was walking to the couch with a cold beer Saturday night to watch some basketball when a #18 zebra nymph lodged in the carpet hooked my wooly socks and took me for a face plant. Unfortunatly my beer broke my fall. :mad:

11. Ed Call

Bullwhacker felled like a tree by a #18 zebra nymph complicated by beer abuse? That is a truly sad story about cabin fever.

12. fatguide

fatguide fish or DIE

How about you may be a fly tyer with cabin fever if........

Your dogs tail is squared off............

Your wife's cat's wiskers are "mysteriously" clipped.....

The vacuum cleaner has yarn and old tippett so tightly wound around it it won't pick up dirt.........

13. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

if your driving past fly shops that arent on the way home.

or if you spend hours debating which of your two dogs hair would make the better leach pattern...(a japanese chin's fur is way more glossy than a gordon setters by the way)

14. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Member

You clean all your fly lines for the third time since last fall. :beathead:

Dr Bob

15. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

It can get bad....
    One spring, I tied a dozen leech patterns with the hair from a black toy poodle.
    I've also imagined seeing trout rises in roadside puddles.

16. Cataraft fishing

Cataraft fishing New Member

Poodle abuse!

So many tiers with bald dogs (eyes the dog snoaring under my laptop...) Recently, a woman jumped into a polar bear den for a swim, could she have been a flyfisher with cabin fever?

17. Ed Call

Would it qualify that I've got fly fishing cabin fever if while my girls are taking the daily tubbie that I bring in my tying stuff and try to turn out a few flies? The noise and splashing is over the top, but it gives me something to pass the time while they enjoy themselves.

18. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

After tying all (maybe) the replacement flies I'll need for the spring and early summer I rested my bobbins and reached for my pocket knife. Scrounging for a solid piece of wood and watching too many law and order re-runs, I'll soon be finished with my first handmade fish call! Soon as I find my swim goggles I'll let you know how well it works.

19. U know its bad when 1) u break a retired rods tip trying to rollcast in the living room2) u harrass ur cat with mouse patterns, hooks cliped or covered 3) U swear u just saw a stoneflie get eaten in a roadside puddles and 4) ur friends come ovr and u look sheepishly away as they notice the fly rod spinning around on the fan:beathead::beathead::rofl::)