You pondering something bigger?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by SpeyFitter, Aug 23, 2013.

1. So I picked up an Outcast Pac 1100 FS this past Spring (11' long, 18" diameter pontoons). I've done my first 4 River drifts this past Summer with plans to do a couple more next weekend, and take a pontoon course with a whitewater rafting instructor on the Chilliwack river mid September. Overall I'm having a blast doing drifts and I've really come to find drifting & fly fishing rivers is like the fine wine of fly fishing. It is such a relaxing, enjoyable way to spend your day fly fishing - broken up by periods of drifting, etc. My stress levels come way down when I'm drifting and fly fishing.

Anyways, before I bought my boat I was set on getting the Pac 1000 (10' toons, 18" diameter. But when the time came to buy I said what's another 1 foot longer for stability - the portability (or lack there of) between the 1000 and 1100 is negligeable so I went with the 1100.

Now my buddies who have smaller pontoons (8 & 9 footers) seem to think of my 1100 as "the barge," and can't understand why I got something so big. But when I look at my toon, to me the frame, the toons, everything looks proportional and to me it seems and feels just right. With the Outcast pontoon wheel it's really easy to launch, and if the wheel isn't practical, since I'm always with a buddy, put ins and take outs are a non-issue as far as portability goes as the rule is you always help each other. Even then, I'm still relatively young (33) compared to most, so I'll be having fun with this boat for years to come.

Having said that, everyone I notice seems to move to something smaller and/or lighter after years of owning a toon and I find myself already day dreaming/thinking of something bigger/longer. I'm definately not going to buy anything - my toon will be fine for at least a few years. But I can't say I haven't gone to the Aire website to browse some of their bigger cataraft toons (12-15 footers). The Wave Destroyer with the pointed up ends looks cool, and I never knew that the pricing MSRP on the website is for just a set of toons, no frame, no oars. So that means you have to find/select/buy/assemble your own frame, so you have lots of options that way to sort of customize, especially with some of the NRS options available. So I guess I gotta ask - am I the only one dreaming bigger/heavier when most seem to drift lighter and/or smaller?

2. That's a nice boat. Good choice. Only reason you'd need to upgrade is if you want to row others around.

I went from an 8' to 10' to 12' back to an 11' Sotar cat. All of those have been dealt and now I'm down to a nice raft and a WM for the solo floats.

A couple DB's came and went in that time.

3. My first cataraft was 11'3" long, with 19" dia. tubes. That was a super nice boat, and I often took a second person with me, but I found that I really didn't need such a large boat for just myself, plus I also have a drift boat to take other people in as well.

So, last year I sold my cataraft, and bought the PAC 1000. One of the sales guys at Outcast told be that size was too big for day trips, and he recommended the 9' model, but so far I like the feel of being safer on the 10' boat, as most of my usage is on larger rivers, such as the Yellowstone here in MT.

I don't have any trouble transporting it, but I do like to use fins to slow it down for fishing as I float the river, and I suppose a smaller boat would be a bit easier to do that with. If you don't have any trouble rowing, finning, or transporting your boat, then I don't see what the issue is with having a bigger boat. These bigger boats can be more of a problem in the wind however than smaller boats, and that might be a problem for you from time to time.

John