You want to see commitment to fly tying? Well... Here it is!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Philster, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
  2. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +774 / 2
    Wow, that's a seriously obsessed kid.
  3. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,704 / 0
    Only one thing wrong with those skins. If they weren't stored on something air tight the feathers would be brittle and fall apart when they were tied on.
  4. Loopy Member

St Albans Old England
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    He is due to be sentenced on Monday next. The museum is about 20 mins from me and houses some undeniably rare species. Rist did a speech at a local fly dressing venue last year and was put up by a friend of mine but Dad is on the warpath at the moment threatening legal action to all and sundry. Out of the 300 birds that were stolen 297 were returned in some way or another. So there is the possibility of three turning up. The birds that were advertised for sale were advertised on ebay at around £1500.00 but being the only one of it's type the true value must be in the order of a million upwards. One or two eminent tyers got caught up but that is enough from me now. Wonder what the sentence will be on Monday?
    :beer1:
  5. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +361 / 0
    A flute player? No wonder he couldn't pull it off...he plays the flute.
  6. Cruik Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +142 / 0
    A flautist-fly fisherman who poses as an Oxford ornithologist to steal birds of paradise? And we wonder why people call us elitist.

deer hair collar crime?
  7. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +401 / 0
    that was posted here before. I stand by my asessment that that guy is a serious piece of shit for stealing from a museum
  8. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,087 / 1
    Old Man, I love your practicality sometimes.

Ira..
  9. Philster New Member

Yeah... Dumb kid... Should have hit the Zoo.
  10. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    I don't have any interest in tying flies from those museum specimens, they are too valuable to destroy them... besides,most "fishy colors" are right there in the fly shop (dyed colors), not in the museum.
  11. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Sorry Phil, that's not a commitment to fly tying. A "committed" by another definition probably.
    IMO that boy's parents need to stand before the judge too.
  12. Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

Kiana, AK
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    LMAO!!!!! ahahahahhaah. Just had milk and mini shredded wheats try to com out my nose!
  13. Philster New Member

I'm actually getting some experience with aspbergers syndrome. I'm not defending the kid. Destroying any part of the historic record is as low as it gets, and now's as good a time as any for a big ass dose of "for all our actions, there are repercussions" jailtime. But just this kid's history makes me wonder if he had any control over obsessing over the feathers and the James Bond fantasy. He had control over whether or not he broke in and stole things though. So hit him hard.
  14. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Loopy,

Is the pillory or stocks still in vogue? Burning at the stake seems a bit extreme, but a year or twenty in the stocks seems appropraite.

REE