Your Best Fishing Experience: 2000-2009

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jasmillo, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Patagonguy

Patagonguy Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Patagonia experience, as it has been during the last 40 years.
    Happy new year guys!

2. Broderick Smith

Broderick Smith SeaToTree

Media:
    Best parts of 2009:

1) Steelheading - epic year. :beer1:
    2) Catching huge bull trout (will try and attach smaller picture)
    3) Lamar Valley - fly fishing in the Lamar Valley, throwing huge bugs while watching for grizzlies.
    4) Yellowstone River - epic float on the yellowstone, 4 types of trout in a day.
    5) Big Wood River - fishing in a foot of snow, and falling in. :beathead:

3. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

The fact that I got to fly fishing and tie flies for another decade.

Fingers crossed that I can say the same in 2019!

Tight lines
    Curt

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have been debating on sharing this. But here it goes. I've had a few over the last decade. But the one that sticks out the most and meant the most to me was this year, in October. My yearly salmon trip I always take with my Dad. First year without him. If it wasn't for a promise I made to him while he was in Hospice, I wouldn't probably have gone on the trip. Took my son with. We always fished the Chehalis tribs. My Dad had a spot on the Satsop he LOVED to fish. Was the hole he hogged on me. But he was my Dad, so I didn't say anything. But was his favorite. We drifted up to the hole, and nobody was fishing it. I walked up to my Dad's spot. Said "This ones for you Dad" and made my cast. First drift had a solid fish on. Was dark, but a nice buck. Didn't realize my son had grabbed my camera as I was releasing it. So was a pleasant surprise when I downloaded my phone.

[​IMG]

PS, you'll reckognize the photo as my profile pic.

5. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    Lots of great fishing. Two days stand out

First day on the Dean
    [​IMG]

Woke up and landed first chromer on a dry. Proceeded to rise 4 others throughout the day. The rest of the week had plenty of great memories but that first day was the best

Guide day off
    [​IMG]

Had a no-show and was about to go do some non-fishing chores when I decided to call a friend on the radio and see how the fishing was. Heard "There's tons of coho" and started the engine. Arrived and started fishing. After limiting on coho in the first 20 minutes (thank god for the extra pink on the limit) I decided for once to start counting. Landed 50 coho and 9 pinks (10 of those on poppers). Got back to the dock by 11 am. Don't remember the clients name, but thanks whoever you are.

6. bigfun4me

bigfun4me Team Infidel

My father and I made several trips flying out of Nimpo Lake, BC into the surrounding area and had some incredible days of trout fishing. We also had some equally impressive days floating remote stretches of the Salmon River catching rainbows, smallmouth and steelhead on dry flies while shooting limits of chuckar.

7. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Too many to list, check out my blog or photo gallery for pictures and details, but by far the best of 2009 and of the last 5+ years was catching my first two steelhead on the fly (and on the swing) this past August!

Other highlights that come to mind are: (No particular order.. just what came to mind as I thought about it!)
    1. Fishing w/ my neice on Lake Tye and teaching my nephew Jackson to fly cast, tie flies and fishing with him a few times this summer! Getting his little brother to cast as well, on the soccer fields!
    2. 21" Westslope Cuttie on the Yakima with Ryan White (Whitey)
    3. 2+ weeks in MT bumming around SW MT and meeting up with a bunch of guys from the site (Matney, Jergens, OMJ, Brazda), and hanging out with my Aunt and Uncle from Helena. Visited the Sweetgrass guys and the Winston factory.
    4. ID this past summer on the St. Joe with Ron Torda from AATF chasing cutties!
    5. SRC's on the Sky this summer with Ron, Ben, Vic and Brian Paige.
    6. Chasing steel locally on the local "S" rivers with the guys in #5.
    7. Various WFF events, including the Hoh down (need to change the name, it's so ghey) and the original Hoh event in 2003 with the AEG guys...

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I'm old, tired from fishing today (plus from Monday and Tuesday up on the Skagit / Sauk). It's been fun getting out with many different people and swapping lies and making up some new ones! Looking forward to the next year and spending more time on the OP and in Oregon too!

Merry New Year!
    FlyBill

:beer1:

8. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

5 fish day on the Satsop with my son in Feb this year. His first and second steelhead on flies.
    Methow this fall with my son, both landed steelhead on flies.

No matter how old the kid gets, he's still my son, and it's still great to be on the river with him.

9. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Media:
    Home Page:
    Jerry, that's a hell of a good karma story, thanks for sharing

2005 Fishing with brother on the Clackamas, and got a Historical Paper on Captain Cook's ingestion of Fish toxins published
    2006 Started reading and posting on WFF, started writing fiction after a 15 year hiatus
    2007 Starting using lots of techniques picked up from WFF boards, locations, timing etc and had way better success, became far more interested in fly fishing.
    Fished the mouth of the Barwon River in Victoria Australia with brewer Sam Seward
    Helped Itchy proof his book
    Got a fiction story published
    2008 began flyfishing in the salt, got a story in Flyrod and Reel, floated the Cedar with my oldest son, he caught his first fish on a fly. Got my sons, nephews and nieces into a school of hickory shad on Cape Cod so everyone caught lots of fish
    2009 Started catching fish with flies I tied. Had more fun writing. Got my youngest son catching fish.

10. rwbailey05

rwbailey05 GO COUGS

Media:
    July 2009: Lil brother came home on leave for 3 weeks. Planned a week long camping/Fishing/Hiking trip on the Naches and the Yakima. Had aton of action on large terrestrials! And the quality time spent with my little brother, who i grew up fishing with on the rivers around snohomish. Having to fish by myself more often then not throughout the year getting back out on the river with him was a true blessing and really made every fish we caught that much more special! Especially the Hog that he landed on the last cast of the trip. Biggest fish of the weekend came on the last cast, i had already set my rod up for the hike back up the slope to the car when i walked up to him and he asked for one last drift and on that drift he brought in a nice 18" bow on a hopper drifted right by a log projecting out of the far slope on the river. Loved every second of the week especially that last cast and landing! God bless our troops, i cant wait for the trip next summer when he comes home!

Happy new years everybody!

11. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Without regard to the specific year, and in no particular order
    Two weeks fishing and catching in New Zealand
    My first bull trout from the Methow (25"0)
    23" cuttbow from the Methow
    (those last two are for "Haunted by Waters"-he loves it when I "whore out" the Methow!)
    An epic day (50+) fish on the Elk
    The three trips I took to Kelly Creek-never had a bad day on that river!
    100# sailfish in Zihuatanejo on conventional tackle
    Fishing the Yakima many times with my son when he was at Central.
    Introducing my two son-in-laws to fishing and turning them into addicts
    Big Horn River on a day in August
    Henry's Fork several times
    Big Hole on the trico fall-big fish on #22 flies!
    Bonefish in Andros and Ascention Bay
    My first tarpon at Isla Blanca
    many more, but I should quit!
    Rick

12. oldskool

oldskool Guest

My 6 year old son catching his first fish on a dry fly COMPLETELY unassisted! A 14 & 1/2" Cutty. Then his older brother (8yrs) hooking 3 and losing them at his feet.

FAR AND AWAY - the best in any decade! :thumb:

I could have caught 10 @ 20" each that day, and it wouldn't compare.

13. Griswald

Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

2000 Montana the Missouri. Best single day of fishing I ever had. about 50 17 inch plus trout. Stopped fishing as we were "done."
    2005 Secret river trip out of Dillingham AK, 32 inch rainbow on a mouse, and a lot of very nice Silvers on the Dali Lama...amazing trip (and very off the grid)
    2007 June trip to BC 10 pound rainbow out of a lake on a California Blonde...
    2009 Pinks south puget sound, one after another

14. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Media:
    Home Page:
    1. 15" bull trout in the Touchet River (2x)
    2.Cutthroat of Kelly Creek/No Fork Clearwater
    3. Rainbows of Snake and Gros Ventre Rivers outside Jackson WY
    4. Countless Days and nearly as many trout in the net on the Yakima --all wading, mostly above Cle Elum
    5. Joys of small streams, including Crab Creek, So. Fork Snoqualmie, Deschutes,and especially the Touchet (north and south forks, as well as Wolf Fork) and Tucannon Rivers of eastern WA.
    6. Browns of Washington spring creeks
    7. High Lakes of Eagle Cap Wilderness
    8-10. wild fish and wild country where ever found!!!

15. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Media:
    Home Page:
    Damn! Forgot the BIGGEST event of the decade: Donna, my partner of 18 years, learned to fly fishing during a press trip w/me in 2006. Ever since, she has DEMANDED we fish as frequently as possible AND we acquire quality gear whenever the need/desire strikes us! Also, my yellow lab pup, replacing the greatest dog ever, has become a great fishing companion, waiting ashore while we fish.

16. Tod Fossetta

Tod Fossetta Sorry, I'm not set up for that.

Naselle River, August 09, six of us fishing a hole hooked almost 50 kings in 4 hours, only out six on the beach, what a rush, they were pouring into the hole like nuclear subs.

17. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Media:
    Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    2000 to 2008 Our yearly June trip of five to fifteen days to the Deschutes in Oregon with my sons and sometimes some of their friends. In 2008 with my Grandson for the first time, the next time will include his brother for the first time . 2007 my son Ron, took me on my dream trip to the High Sierra. By horseback into some high lakes for allmost a week catching beautiful Brookies. One year we also did a guided trip on the Deschutes in the fall for steelhead and to learn a new stretch of river. The next year we did a trip for summer steelhead. 2009 my youngest son got married and we didn't have a Deschutes trip last year. Luckily several great trips over that period. Lots of fun with my boys. Bob

18. robl

robl Member

Media:
    2004-2008 Provo River became obsessed with fly fishing and caught thousands of trout. I would often fish three or four times a week for a few hours each day. I lived on one underfished stretch of the river and a better stretch was all of 10 minutes away. It was the life.

Wind River Mtns. 2005 Hundreds and hundreds of Golden trout; hypothermia and survival.

Wyoming 2007 My dad and I spent a sunny August afternoon throwing size 8 hoppers to huge cutts on a small stream in the middle of nowhere. 50+ apiece. The stars were all in a row.

July 2008 Finally catching some huge bulls on monster streamers. Good stuff.

19. Jon Brengan

Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

These aren't in any particular order because mostly I can't remember dates, the memories however are burned into my memory:
    Catching a 20"+ rainbow on the surface, on the Swan River, MT. and then getting 911 called on me because my wife thought I'd been eaten by a bear. The next day a local guide said, "you know it was a good day when you get 911 called on you".!!
    Getting introduced to Western Washington beach fishing, then catching my first Kitsap side Silver over 7lbs.
    Catching two Silvers on the fly, on the Quilliutte River, with my wife's ex-husband(we're good friends), who'd brought a spinning rod for me to use, then was surprised to see me rigging up the fly rod, only to out fished by the fly guy that day.
    Putting on a "Clinic" on the beach, one day - caught 7 out of 11 Silvers all over 4 lbs. on the fly. My friends were amazed as this was my third time at "their beach".
    Catching a 8 lbs. Steelhead on the Green, December 12th, in frozen conditions, my rod and reel were frozen solid, but I managed to catch this fish after only fishing less than an hour.
    Taking my friend who has MS fly fishing for Pinks this summer, and seeing the look on his face when he not only caught the big fish of the day, but also having him experience the "pure joy" of having a friend that would still spend the time to get him out on the water again. That goes a long ways!!
    Finally getting some guys from church that I've been working on to go fishing, out on the river, fly fishing for pinks this past summer, and the newby actually hooked one.
    Going 9 for 11 on Pinks, this past summer in an hour and fortyfive minutes on my own "recipe" fly.
    Many great days out on various rivers either in this state or others, it doesn't matter, just time on the river!!

20. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Picture says it all. Sucessfully released, July 4, 2009.