NFR Your best Photoshopped pic & the "true" story

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dorylf, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Fishermen, it is said, have a reputation for exaggeration and—at times—outright prevarication.

Care to prove it? Now's your chance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Like this:

[​IMG]

It was 18½ years ago now, a beautiful July day. My friend, Randy, and I were float tube fishing on Davis Lake in the Oregon Cascades. We’d begun just after dawn and had worked our way south almost to the lava dam, where the bottom drops and the lake suddenly gets quite deep.

We’d caught a few fish (This was before Johnny Bass Seed did his evil work and so the lake was still full of some of the biggest rainbow you’d ever wish to see. A six-pounder would not have been uncommon.).

It was mid-week, as I recall, and we hadn’t seen another soul, so we were congratulating ourselves on our good fortune: beautiful place, catching gorgeous big bows, and no competition. Little did we know we’d be lamenting our solitude shortly.

The problem started when I tore a small gash in my thumb attempting to dislodge the fly from a deeply hooked fish. The wound bled profusely and, naturally, I washed it in the water and we went back to fishing.

After that everything is a blur, with things happening really fast. Randy hooked another fish. From out of nowhere, two huge dorsal fins appeared and began circling our tubes. “Sharks!” I yelled. But before Randy could react, one of the sharks took a huge bite out of his tube and he was in the water swimming hard toward me.

“Hold still. Just float,” I hollered. “They have horrible eye sight but they’re attracted to movement.” And so. That’s what we did. Both of us froze.

Our situation was dire. No one to rescue us. A long 50 yards to shore. And the sharks circling and hungry. But the lack of motion seemed to be working; they were confused and their searching seemed now to lack focus.

If you’ve ever float tube fished, you’ve no doubt sensed the uncomfortable feeling of having your fin clad feet dangling down into the unknown depths. And, poor Randy—it’s a good thing he was wearing a life jacket.

It was then that we caught our break. A flock of ducks locked wings and splashed down noisily a hundred yards out on the lake. Instantly, the sharks turned toward the sound and their dorsals disappeared.

A couple of minutes passed and we wondered what to do. Then, as we watched, first one duck, then another, and another just vanished, each with a little splash and some bubbles. It was not unlike May flies being sipped by trout. Just bigger splashes and bubbles.

Well, we figured that was our best shot. So we counted three and beat cheeks for the lava dam.

Of course no one believed us when we got home and the more we talked about it the stranger the looks we got until we finally doubted ourselves. In the years since, any time I heard of someone fishing Davis Lake I’d ask if they saw anything strange. Every once in a while a fisherman would say he heard a really large splash bigger than any trout would make. And there have been a couple of dogs that went missing. But that was pretty much the end of it.

Needless to say, I gave up float tubing in favor of a bigger boat. So, when I finally got around to having a garage sale last weekend, it was natural to sell my tube. There in one of the zippered pockets, I came across my old camera and took the film in to be processed.

Imagine my excitement when I found this photo on that roll of film. In all the excitement back on that fateful day, I completely forgot I had snapped a picture. There it is: proof that fresh water sharks inhabit Davis.

2. And now, I don't believe your avatar either!!! :D

tythetier likes this.
  3. Hahahaha!! Well done, and great story! Look like the same kinda sharks in Kidney lake.

4. Nah, if I was going to mess with you I'd post something like this:

[​IMG]

Only, I really did catch this 185-pound steelhead. It was a long time ago on the lower Elwha River, shortly after they built the dams.

Because the dams blocked their passage upriver to their historic spawning grounds, this magnificent run of steelhead is extinct today. Even back then catching a fish this size was rare. I was lucky (and really glad I had decided to swap my 8-pound tippet for some 14-pound, otherwise I'd have never landed him).

I certainly consider myself fortunate to have been able to experience this once-in-a-lifetime encounter. It is sad what man can do so thoughtlessly that has an impact that lasts forever. These fish are never coming back.

dryflylarry, triploidjunkie and GAT like this.
  5. Once, a couple years ago,I played around a bit with Photochop.
    image.jpg

triploidjunkie likes this.
  6. Please keep all wild steelhead in the water if you feel the need for a hero shot. Come on man.

Kcahill and GAT like this.
  7. SUPER cool of him to keep the pinky off the penis though. Mad courtesy.

8. Kinda weird the random things people point out in a pic

9. Too much information ...

10. Ain’t it great to have friends. Especially friends who fish.

I’ve got two I’ve known since high school. We started fishing as soon as I was old enough to get my driver’s license (I’m the oldest). And we’ve spent hundreds of hours on the water, fishing rivers and lakes from Canada to California, from Oregon to Montana since.

The multi-day adventures to distant destinations hold some memories that I will forever regard as some of my happiest times in the outdoors. The fishing was often great. Sometimes it wasn’t. Many times we’d camp or backpack and always we’d have a campfire. (Campfires, I’m convinced, are super glue for friendships.)

Anyway, as friends often do, these two will pull practical jokes. You know the kind of thing. Bear noises just outside your tent at 3 am. Unstaking your tent and hoisting it 20 feet up in a tree, while you’re fishing downstream. Quietly tying the outhouse door closed so when you try to get out… The usual stuff.

Well, the guys knew I am into photography, that I would occasionally submit pics to flyfishing magazines, and that I even got published a couple of times. So, when I emailed them--all excited-like--with the picture of the cover of the latest edition that featured them. They both headed out right a way to get copies for themselves.

[​IMG]

Darndest thing, though. They checked all the local stores and none had that issue.

“Hey, ah, maybe you guys should try that fly shop over in Welches.”

Stew McLeod, GAT and Pat Lat like this.