your dream set-up?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by luckybalbowa, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    I was hoping you'd include that Tioga in your "dream" set-up:p and then regale us w/ stories of the huge steelhead you've caught on it. If it's possible to bottle your ambivalence to tackle, send me a bit. When I used to golf, I was always looking for that "one" club that would make all the difference. I've got the same problem w/ fly fishing. My wife can't understand. Last year I bought a 10' 7 weight BIIX and I said that's it for a long time. Now I'm trying to convince her that I need a new spey rod:cool: I'm job security for the FFing industry.

2. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
  3. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    Last month I had a dream about a Sage 15201-2. The rod tube it came with had wheels and a trailer hitch so you could hook it up to the back of a truck to get it around.

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    B. Tuna,

The largest steelhead I've caught were all on Hardy reels. A 20 and 23# on the Hardy Princess and a 27# on the St. John. I've caught more steelhead on an 8 1/2' no-name fiberglass fly rod than on all the other steelhead tackle I've had before or since, combined. I've got a closet full of over-priced rods and reels that haven't caught a fraction of the glass rod/Princess set-up. Although I don't need any more fishing tackle, I'll probably continue to add to my collection for enjoyment's sake. I guess that'll help maintain a viable fly fishing gear industry.

You can sorta' see why I place so little value on the whole disc drags on freshwater fly reels. Not worthless, but nothing was ever so unnecessary.

You didn't ask for my advice, so I'll just ask, why would you ever bother trying to convince your wife you need a new Spey rod? If she knows you, she knows need has nothing to do with it. And so do you. These are simply things we do because they give us some measure of satisfaction. Explain it to her that way. You didn't need to get married, but you did. You don't need a new Spey rod, but you will get one. See, why would she resist that logic? You're welcome, and no, there's no charge for marital counseling.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

5. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
  6. Coach Duff

Media:
    Interception.

7. Coach Duff

Media:
    To add to what Salmo said, I have been amused for years at people being talked into "needing" drag for steelhead. Or 200 yards of backing. The next time you hear about a steelhead going on a 100 yard or even 75 yard run uninterrupeted, walk out on a football or soccer field which you all know well and take a look. I've caught a bunch of big, native wild assed steelhead and a 40- 50 yard initial run is the norm, not the exception. There are always exceptions to everything, like fast heavy water right below the take that the fish gets sucked into, but as much as I love these fish, more BS is spread around by steelhead anglers than any other species. An 8 pound steelhead (the average) is not a threat to any decent reel, especially palmed correctly. Either is a 20 pounder for that matter. Even the mighty Thompson fish which can and will light up a 100 yard run are tamed each season by a small army of click and pawl enthusiasts. Drag is over-rated on steelies. I want to hear that reel scream to the heavens when that silver thunderbolt hits that fly. That's the main reason I use Hardy's is for that sound. (Plus tradition and respect for the fore-fathers) It's a cool way to be "shocked awake" after 19 hours of "swinging" and no fish. It's part of the sensory overload I crave and chase all over the damn place trying for one more ripping pull. That's the only reason. Drag has never been part of the equation, and never once have I've never wished I had a reel with a saltwater strong drag system. I haven't needed it. Plus collecting old Hardys is fun. If you beat the bushes, and are patient you can find mint Hardys in all models (left hand Perfects included) at shockingly good prices. Thats just me, nobody's right or wrong and each to his own! Tight lines Coach

8. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Member

Media:
    My dream 5 wgt light spey is the Sage 5120 12 footer coupled with a fine traditional reel, like my old Marryat MR-9 (too large for the 5120, but light enough for it). Perhaps a Hardy.

:beer2:

BG

P.S. On the steelhead and drag setting issue, 26 years ago when I first started steelhead fly fishing yes I thought a strong drag was needed, but saw the light, and for the last 24 years my drag settings are very light, use finger against the line or rim to administrer drag when needed.

9. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Thread hijack in progress.

Coach talks about a 40-50 yard initial run by a steelhead as the norm. I so wish that was true in my experience. Fully half or more of all steelhead I hook, I play on the length of line I was fishing at the time of the strike, or less. I'm beginning to think the next move in steelheading sportsmanship will be to fish without any backing on the reel. I estimate one steelhead in five as "hot." That is a fish that shows me the runs and jumps for which the species is famous. Rare is the steelhead that takes more than 50 yards of backing. The longest run I've had from any steelhead was a Thompson River fish that took just shy of 180 yards of backing. And that was in an atypical location, at the edge of a very fast chute with fast water for a long ways below.

I've only been able to find old Hardy's at shocking, not shockingly good, prices. I guess I haven't done enough scrounging and hunting.

The upshot is that high tech disc drag reels are over rated for steelhead, but as Coach said, to each his own. My dream Spey outfit would include a Hardy Salmon #2.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

10. luckybalbowa

luckybalbowa Member

Media:
    180 yards of backing? wow! I would love to hook up with one of those bad boys!

I was stringing up some stuff today and put anywhere from 50-75 yards of backing on my reels.

11. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

BG , ... I have a Marryat MR9 as well ,. and I find that it is too light to balance my Torridge . Kind of a shame really , as it`s a good reel . The reels I do like on the Torridge , are the SA System 2 8/9 , or my Hardy Salmon #1. With the heavier reels , the rod is much more comfortable to fish all day .

But , I suppose I could wrap 30 feet or so of leadcore around the arbor of the MR9 to make it serviceable . YMMV

12. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I agree with both coach and salmo. I rarely have had a steelhead take any more then 40 to 50 yards of backing. And honestly I am not sure if I have any that took that much line. All most all of the large steelhead I have hooked made a small initial run and then sulked in the current with out much fight at all.

With the number of us that perfer click pawl reels over modern drag reels that could double as winches to pull car engines, I wonder why no one has come out with a good click pawl reel besides Hardy. My perfect reel would be a 4 inch large arbor reel with click pawl and an exposed palming rim. I like my Bougle's but it takes a bit to get used to slowing the reel with your fingers instead of being able to use your palm.

Hyjack complete.

13. Rich McCauley

Rich McCauley Meiser & Mohlin

Media:
    I don't know that these are truly dream setups, but this is what I have ......

Burkie 8139-3
    Peerless 4A
    Lines vary according to season and conditions
    I really want one of the new Nextcast 65' 8/9's when they become production.

Burkie 9143-3
    Hardy Marquis Salmon III
    Lines vary
    This is John Hazel's old setup

Currently building
    Burkie 7125-3
    Probably will use Danielsson 8/12 LW but I want a clicker like Kerry said
    Lines to be determined.

Yes I have, and fish other setups, some of which that cost less than $300 including lines.

While most of my fish take at best 20 to 30 yards, I am one of those who wants a minimum of 150 yards of backing. I have needed well over a 100 on the Thompson and seen others damn near get spooled with 200.

I want what Kerry S wants .... click pawl, exposed rim, 4" or so, does not HAVE to be large arbor, and a Serpentine handle to make it truly distinctive.

And yes, my fishing gear is worth way more than my truck or anything else I own. :)

Rich

14. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    An Oyster 5wt 7 1/2' Bamboo rod and a Hardy Angel Reel:thumb:

15. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Kerry,

I think it's because Spey is such a niche market. And since many of those in that market fall for all the other rod and tackle hype and glitz, they fall for the disc drags as well. That leaves a very limited number of takers for a 4" spring & pawl reel with palming rim. Even Hardy has discontinued its Salmon Marquis models 1, 2, & 3.

I thought Ross had a hit a few years ago when they introduced the spring and pawl Colorado series. But there disc drag line cost only $40 more, and the Colorado was dropped after only maybe 3 years of production. People must believe they need those disc drags on trout reels!??!! I bought two as closeouts for $65 each. Used one for bonefish in Mexico; works great. If only they'd made a model large enough for a Spey rod . . .

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

16. luckybalbowa

luckybalbowa Member

Media:
    This drag v. click and pawl has gotten me thinking. (hi-jacking my own thread! :) )

Sure I might not necessarily need a disc drag reel, but its nice to have for those rare occasions where maybe having a drag would be of help. The same goes for other gear I have. Sure I dont need high modulus rods to cast a good line, a wal-mart special would certainly do the job. I dont need feather inlays on my rods when I build them, but put them on anyways. The point is, I have a lot of gear that I could replace with something cheaper, but I dont because I like some little ancillary advantage they afford me.

Plus, if I'm going to put money into buying a big game type of reel, why not buy one that will also work if I ever get the opportunity to fish something in the salt? This is another reason I purchased my Nautilus.

17. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

gotta use that pfluger medalist!! $29.00 of well made click pawl magic.

18. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Lucky,

I have nothing against reels with drags. I own several. It is just a preference of mine to use click pawl reels for steelhead. I feel more in touch with the fish and I believe I have better control. Palming is instantaneous. You apply pressure or release pressure right when it is needed. No knob turning. Palming a reel to slow a fish adds another dimension to the steelheading experience or for that matter any fishing experience. There is a certain amount of touch, if you will, to controlling a running fish by palming a reel. It is just one more of the many personal preferences that we all have when fishing.

19. luckybalbowa

luckybalbowa Member

Media:
    Now I can totally get down with that reasoning! Do what makes you happy.

20. inland

inland Active Member

The norm seems to be zero to approx. 20 yards of backing. Rarely 40-50 yards. And the abberation that really will take 100 yards.

Aside from that the reason to have 150-200 yards of backing is so it doesn't take a week to wind it back in with an arbor the size of a dime. You know, the original large arbor design. Not because of being worried about getting posted.

Dream set up...17' Grant Vibration Rod. And since we are dreaming an original Perfect. Most importantly a Grant square plaited continuous tapered silk line.

Question: How would you get an exposed rim reel with an S shaped crank? What would be the purpose of the S crank besides being the 'thing that goes ping'?

A properly designed spring and pawl system that lasts is no walk in the park. Especially compared to a compression disc drag. The angles and springs have to be perfect or they don't work right. Or sound right. Or wear out prematurely. Mind you this isn't all that hard to accomplish but the decisions are driven by market demand. If the demand was truly there everybody would offer such a reel. Hardy has had it figured out for a hundred years but even they only offer one large reel now. While the Bougle is a nice enough it's truly a step or 5 down from a Perfect. Everything else they sell in large sizes is some form of disc drag. Peerless has their 4A but IMO they hardly compare to a Perfect. One maker to look at is Kineya. They are offering a gussied up Marquis, in salmon sizes (305 and 306 are the model numbers), using a non-adjustable spring and pawl.

GOOD LUCK finding any old Hardy's for reasonable prices. Especially with the latest price hike for the Bougle in '07 to $895. Only going to continue to push the price up and up for old Perfects and Marquis.

William