Your Fav. Beach Line

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by chrome/22, Dec 9, 2007.

1. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

I'm new to this game, I went with the Airflow 40+ Coldwater/Salt line. It's a 8 weight line, for my fast action 7 weight. Went 1 line over for more distance......

What line do you like??

C/22..............:confused:

2. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    Since I am usually throwing smaller shrimp flies and streamers on the beaches a FLHS (floating head system) on a 5 or 6 wt is my line of choice for beach fishing. Especially if I am casting westward into the wind.

3. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:

Are you posting this question because you don't like the line and are looking for another option, or . . . ?

4. chrome/22

No I have not used the line yet, just looking for some info from other beach casters

C/22......:)

5. herl

herl Member

Airflo 40+ intermediate is my favorite beach line, and I've tried a lot of beach lines. You will need a stripping basket to get the most of it though. There is a learning curve for using both the 40+/Outbound type lines and for using a stripping basket. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be doing great.

One thing- I believe the coldwater/salt line has a slightly different, shorter taper than the freshwater version. I have used the cold/saltwater line and found that it had a tendency to 'kick' or 'dump' rather than unfurl smoothly. This is something you can adjust your stroke for but I also found it helpful to add a 10 foot intermediate poly leader to the front of the line. This sort of extends the front taper and delays the turnover, for me anyway. I do not have this issue with the freshwater 40+, but do with all the Rio Outbound lines. I think the more compact taper on the Outbound and the saltwater 40+ was designed to handle heavier leaders and bigger flies.

When you get these lines working for you, you really only need one, or maybe two, backcasts to get some great distances. Some folks believe strongly in stretching the running line before you start, to reduce tangles. I haven't found this to be necessary with the 40+ lines, though I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. I'm just too lazy and I only get tangled every 10th cast or so, which I believe is pretty much unavoidable.

Let us know what you think after you try it out!

6. chrome/22

herl, will do! Thanks for the tips....

C/22