Your Favorite Books

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dustin Bise, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Paul Voelker Member

Yakima, Washington
    Ratings: +2 / 2
    A couple that I've read lately:

Trout Madness - Robert Traver
    As You Do - Richard Hammond
  2. Jim Fitz Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Fly Fishing Coastal Cutthroat Trout - Les Johnson tied with Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon II - Jacobson, Ferguson, Johnson
    A Passion for Steelhead - Dec Hogan
    Advanced Fly Fishing for Steelhead - Deke Meyertied with Steelhead Fly Fishing - Trey Combs

Those are my top 3ish.
  3. Joe Smolt Member

Bothell, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    River Runs Through It (book not the movie)
    On the Spine of Time
    Longest Silence

Joe
  4. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    It had been so long since I've read any Harry Middleton books, but On the Spine of Time and all the rest of his books are really worth a read-his life ended much too soon! Rick
  5. Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +137 / 0
    A longest Silence by Mr McGuane

A River Never Sleeps By Haig Brown

My Steelhead Shangri La by Ralph Wahl
  6. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +214 / 1
    I am currently re-reading "The Endurance" by Caroline Alexander. This is the account of the Shackleton expedition to Antarctica. Not a fishing book by any stretch of the imagination (although they did take creatures from the sea). If you've never read this book, do yourself a favor, and see if you have the grit to survive.
  7. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Zane Greys books on fishing when I can get ahold and afford them. I even read a few of his westerns and while ok they are not what I like.
    Haig Browns books
    Patrick's Mc something or other books are funny as hell or at least the ones I have read so far. Just can not remember his last name right know.
  8. CameronT120 New Member

North Vancouver, BC
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Patrick McManus
  9. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0

A great read for sure.
  10. Jim Henderson Member

bainbridge island
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Dustin, a few more to add to your list:
    An Anglers Astoria - Dave Hughes
    Steelhead Fly Fishing - Trey Combs
    Cutthroat, Native Trout of the West - Patrick Trotter
    Fly Fishing for Bonefish - Chico Fernandez
  11. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Great choices. Ditto on Raymond and Haig Brown. Nick Lyons Full Creel is also good.
  12. shawn k Member

buckets worldwide
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    The anglers coast by Russel Chatham
    The river Why.
    Tying and fisahing the soft hackled syl Neemes
  13. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    Nathan works with my wife at a company here in Spokane. I spoke with him several times before realizing he had a book published.
    He really knows his stuff, and some of the pictures of slabs he has caught.... I dont even want to start haha.
  14. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    I enjoy any "how to" fly fishing books written by true authorities in their fields. Fly Fishing Coastal Cutthroat Trout (Les Johnson) and Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon II - (Ferguson, Johnson) and most recently Lake Fly-fishing Manifesto by Mike Croft are recent favorites.

One thing I really hate are philosophical discussions on "why we fish" or similar topics unless done in good humor. Examples of good humor include any of Patrick McManus' works.
  15. oldskool Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Deep, Deeper, abd Deepest thoghts by Jack Handey.

With what's going on in our world today, my head and heart need a break.
  16. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +727 / 0
    Curtis Creek Manifesto - great book for a beginner
    An Angler's Guide to Aquatic Insects and Their Imitations for All North America - got me addicted to bugs. This is a great one to read in the airport to freak people out.
    A Hatch Guide for Western Streams I carry this one with me on every trip.

That being said - I think I have too much book knowledge and not enough time on the river. I spend more time seining the river and searching my boxes for that perfect fly rather than just loading up and working the water.

That's why Curtis Creek is at the top of the list. It's a great must have digest for the beginner like myself. It doesn't overload with a bunch of knowledge that would just be confusing without a good amount of experience on the water.
  17. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    Take a look at Lake Fishing with a Fly by Cordes and Kaufman. This was
    the book that got me dialed into lake fishing 20 years ago. If you are new to
    FFing lakes start here.

Dave
  18. 2506 Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Spoon Fishing for Steelhead by Bill Herzog started it all for me. I don't fish that way anymore, but it's the reason I have this disease.
    I started reading The River Why, I have about 70 pages to go and frankly haven't had any desire to pick it up to finish it, which says alot.
  19. fly punk lunatic trout bum

oly. wa.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Anything by John Geirach
    "A good life wasted" Dave Ames
  20. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +434 / 0
    That's interesting, you're one of the few people I've seen respond to one of these threads about fly fishing books who has anything but the most overwhelming praise for The River Why. Personally, I think it's the poorest book David James Duncan has written and have never been able to understand why so many people seem to rank it as their favorite fly fishing book.