Your favorite eating fish

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Jay Allyn

Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Ocean caught Coho bbq'ed on a cedar plank, halibut marinated in lemon/garlic/olive oil/salt/pepper, and deep fried beer batter stergeon.

Mahi Mahi marinated the same way as the halibut and cooked on the barbie and then eated on small white corn tortillas with a good salsa and coal slaw....mmm delicous fish tacos!

2. nativewiggler

nativewiggler Casting in the wind...

Hey coolKyle... We take crappie and fillet it, then roll it in a mixture of corn meal/flour (1/3 flour to 2/3 cornmeal), salt and pepper to taste, and then deep fry them... Really tasty too... Haven't tried baking it though... We always deep fry them...

Oh ya, we usually have hushpuppies, sliced pickles, and slivers of onion for those who like the onion with their fish... I myself like the flavor by itself with out all the fancy "addin's"...

3. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Jay, surely you didn't forget the cilantro on those fish tacos as part of the marinade and as a garnish? Say it aint so brother!:beer2:

4. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

Dorado:beer2:

5. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

Beer battered walleye with a side of sweet potato fries.

[​IMG]

6. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

Wahoo and Gag Grouper- I got spoiled while living in Key West...

7. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Beer battered crappie fried in Crisco with skillet baked buttermilk cornbread chased by a Fat Tire Ale. Now if only the lakes would thaw..... Ive

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I really don't like to eat fish. A can of Tuna fish every once in a while is good. But I had some deep fried Catfish at one of the Dry Falls fling about three years ago. But I'm no judge of what is good to eat as most of what I like comes out of a can. :beathead:

Jim

9. Denny

Denny Active Member

Ahi tuna or halibut, halibut or ahi tuna . . . aw heck, it's a tie!

10. Denny

Denny Active Member

That's a given!

Cilantro rules . . .

11. Mark Bové

Mark Bové Chasin tail

1. Ono (Wahoo) seared with a cajun rub
    2. Lingcod franchese
    3. Springer any way you choose
    4. Lake trout cooked a few minutes after it has been caught from Lake pend Orelle

12. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

tri bows from Ruffus Woods. On the BBQ, lemon pepper.
    All this talk about good fish to eat and it's only 0815, what am I going to have for lunch.
    The Kippers or the dens

13. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

blackened channel or flathead cat catfish with cucumber salsa.

14. gt

gt Active Member

#1 - blackened red fish
    #2 - dorado most any way

now for the salmon cooks among'yah. fillet a nice coho, chinook are too fatty! cut those fillets into dinner sized pieces. in a cast iron skillet, heat a small amount of bacon gease till its smokin'. dredge the fillets in plain old flour. skin side down in the pan for about 2 min. turn over and then remove the skin and the dark gray fat, discard, and re flour, turn over for about another min. thats it! this entire process takes only 5-6 min and you will end up with salmon that is not dried out from cooking.

of course you could go ahead and add any spices you choose but i personally enjoy the flavor of salmon cooked this way without any masking, ahhh, i mean 'enhancing'.

15. Cliff

Cliff Member

Walleye fillets fried in a large cast iron skillet. My second favorite are stripers breaded in flour with cajun seasoning and fried.

16. TheShadKing

TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

iagree, of native, non-mercury bearing, non-over-fished stocks, halibut in fish tacos with cilantro & tomato white sauce.

Locally catchable but not native, pickled shad is actually really good, and smoked shad (run it through a pressure cooker) is also quite good.

But the all-time #1 eating fish is bluefish, lightly grilled. But you better like fish, cause there's no fishier fish. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Although having said that, pumpkin seeds are really tasty too, if your kid happens to deep-hook one, take it home and skin it and pop it into the frying pan.

Rolland

17. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

How many pumpkin seeds does it take to make a month full?
    I grew up fishing for crappie and blue gills, but the water was warmer in southern Oregon and the fish were bigger. Hard to beat the tasty white meat.

18. Dan Kell

Dan Kell New Member

Tuna. Partial to yellowfin.

19. boyd main

boyd main Member

Whole flounder or sole, lightly floured and fried in butter. That's the breakfast of champions. You can make a competition out of it, by seeing who can eat the most flesh while leaving the most little bones in place.

20. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

BBQ spring chinook, with other early run chinooks being a close second. This is the food of the Gods and is to die for. Accompanied by homemade potato salad and a nice white wine, a pinot noir, or your favorite micro brew. You can turn it into a second rate meal with Bud, Miller, or other macro brew crap.
    BBQ sockeye.
    Halibut.

And then all the lesser fishes. They are also good. Just lesser.