Your favorite eating fish

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Chris Reagan Member

kenmore wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Ling cod, which runs a close second to a fresh brook trout cooked on a stick over a campfire near a beaver pond.
  2. andyk Wannabe Senior Member

Seattle, WA
    Smoked Sockeye... especially the lower part of the stomach. I think I've heard it called Squaw Candy?
  3. atomic dog Jive Turkey

Pasco
    Ratings: +317 / 0

About a dozen 8" 'gills are enough for a good meal for the wife and I. Easy enough to find them around here for a fish fry once or twice a month during the summer. :thumb:
  4. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    Sturgeon and Salmon all the way.
  5. JS Active Member

Ratings: +41 / 0
    Walleye is a damn tasty fish, but nothing is as tasty is a fresh hatchery bonker grilled on the bbq with mayo and lemon slices. I am also partial to anything smoked or kippered.
  6. g_smolt Recreational User

58°19'59 N, 134°29'49 W
    Ratings: +161 / 0
    Ahi with a little soy and wasabi...if it was Swimming at dawn and Eaten at noon, all the better.

King Salmon Bellies, slacked out after Rigor, then grilled and served in their own grease.

Pickled Coho.

Panko-crusted Halibut.

Beer-battered lingcod.

Fresh steelhead roe, lightly salted...with sockeye roe a close second.
  7. JS Active Member

Ratings: +41 / 0
    Dude that is hardcore!!! I have never had the balls to try that one.
  8. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +513 / 0
    Ceadar Planked Halibut ..Yum :)
  9. swc7916 New Member

Kirkland, WA
    Tuna. Out of a can.
  10. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    For me, it's as much a matter of how you prepare the fish as what kind of fish. That taken into consideration, here's what comes to mind:

Mahi-mahi (Miso-yaki). This is a very eco-friendly fish. They grow very quickly to a large size and still seem to be quite numerous.

Black cod (Miso-yaki or sake-kasu). This fish used to be cheaper than regular cod, but I blame the Japanese market for inflating the prices. Still, this is a very tasty fish with a high oil content and a great alternative to the over-fished "Chilean" sea bass.

Sockeye salmon (Miso-yaki or sake-kasu) (Salt and pepper, dusted with corn starch or rubbed with oil and then grilled or baked. When you see the fats ooze and turn white, the fish is done.)

Dutch Harbor halibut cheeks (Piccatta--There is no better way to try it!!!!). DH is where the largest halibut are caught, thus you get the biggest butt cheeks--the size of your average chicken breast. Baby got back!!!

So what is miso-yaki?

Buy a small tub of either white (shiro) or red (aka) miso paste. Dig out three rounded tablespoons of the paste and plop it into a quart bowl. Finely mince or grate a square 3/4 inch's worth of ginger. Toss it in. Pour in 2 or 3 tablespoons Mirin (sweet seasoned sake). Finely slice-up one or two sprigs of scallions into 1/16" ribbons--in other words, use an extremely sharp knife to slice these jaspers as fine as you can humanly manage. Just don't cut yourself. Pour in 1/4 cup drinking Sake. Using a whisk, mix all this stuff up until you get a thin paste. Add enough Sake to make the paste the consistency of ketchup.

In a sealable container (Tupperware or otherwise) that's slightly longer than your fillets or steaks, put down a thin layer of the thinned paste. Lay down your first layer of fish. Cover with another thin layer of paste. Add another layer of fish. In the end, you want all the fish to have all sides covered. Seal up the container and place in the refrigerator. Time? Anywhere from 4 hours to 3 days. After your preferred time span, you have a choice of either scraping off the paste or leaving it on the fish. Here, you can either broil, bake, or grill. Just be very careful to not over cook the fish--especially when broiling. If you've cooked fish before, you should know how long each method will take. What you get is a fish that has a very delicate taste that is slightly sweet. Yummers!!!

Sake-kasu? Well, that's a little harder for me to talk about. Instead of Miso, you use sake lees--that's the curds leftover from the sake brewing process. You can order sake-kasu salmon or black cod at most Japanese restaurants. It's usually the most expensive item on the menu.

To get the sake curds, you best go to Uwajimaya's (Seattle, on 6th Ave. S., and in Bellevue) to find all your ingredients. Unfortunately, I can't remember all the stuff that goes into preparing the paste/marinade. Despite that, the seafood department at Uwajimaya can fill you in with everything you will need to know. You can even buy pre-marinated black cod and salmon there. Now, how easy is that?

Ciao!
    --Dave
  11. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    as of june '06 on a hawaii vacation...ono is my all time favorite. dorado is a fine eating fish also.
  12. Bryan Lowrie New Member

Prince Rupert,British Columbia
    1. Ocean caught Spring or Halibut fillet, topped with Hecate Strait Dungeness meat, chopped onions and peppers, mayo, spices. Wrapped in foil and cooked on grill over campfire coals.
    or
    2. Halibut chunks wrapped in Prosciutto grilled over campfire coals.

Served with locally grown veg salad and ice cold beer of course.
    Perfect after a day of chasing summer runs on the Upper Skeena.

Bryan
  13. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,052 / 1
    Shee fish grilled on cast iron with vegetable oil and shake and bake, 30 miles away from the nearest "town".

Fresh, tiny, over populated, cut-throat trout caught out of high mountain lakes, immediately cleaned and cooked over a camp stove.

Ira..
  14. Ken Hunter Member

Shoreline, Wa, USA.
    ONO,

Wahoo is a great all purpose fish. This Pan Asian marinade works well.

1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup POG juice (Hawaii, QFC, etc)
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1 clove crushed garlic
    1 sliced green onion
    1 teaspoon dried parsley
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Marinade for 30 minutes or so.

Grill in a med hot pan or BBQ. Don't overcook.

Garnish with fresh lemon.

Big glass of wine to taste.
  15. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    About 20 - 40 blue gill fillets battered and deep fried. Now that is good eating. Crappie is almost as good but not as good as "brim".

1 pound Fish
    1 Egg
    1 cup Flour *
    3/4 cup Milk **

*For lighter batter, use 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup
    prepared biscuit mix.

Pat the fish dry with paper towels. In a bowl, mix the
    egg, flour and milk until the batter is smooth. Allow to
    stand for 15 minutes. Dip the fish in the batter, and
    then fry in hot oil until both sides are browned.

Serves 4. Double the batter for more fish.

Walleye, Salmon, Halibut, Tuna, and Various Rock Fish are all very good.

Keith
  16. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,619 / 0
    The worst thing you can do to fish is to overcook it. Better undercooked by two minutes than overcooked by one.

And then everyone knows that what passes as sushi in Bellevue is sold as bait in Ballard.
  17. Brent Scott New Member

Renton, WA
    White meat king salmon made into a creme' patait, with BBQ dolphin fish with lemon and dill, along with Red fish deep fried and some mud bugs and a cold beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!mmmmmmmmmmmgood
  18. Brent Scott New Member

Renton, WA
    I would have to add a Hallibut filleit with head and tail gone, slice straight down center on top of fish and fellit to the outter span. Stuff with shrimp, mudbugs, lobster, scallops, use some garlic seasoning and salt and pepper with lemon dill and a 1/4 cup of sweet creme butter. Wrap in bannana leaves and secure with tooth pick and grill with heavy apple and peach wood combo till flakey about 15 mins at 230 on the grill..................Killer Food at its best
  19. DeanHosh New Member

Seattle
    Salmon Shio Yaki. King Salmon, a piece cut near the front end (belly), Good sea salt (slightly heavy) right before putting on foil and BBQ on mesqite. Serve with grated diakon (white radish) and lemon and fresh soy (shoyu).

Ling cod "fillet-O-Fish" sandwich. Essential Bakery buns, homemade tarter sauce, white onion, pickle, tomato and lettuce. Ling is pressed in bread crumb then sauted in clarified butter.

Grouper but hard to find. Best eating fish IMHO.

King Salmon cold smoked (under 190deg) over mesquite and hickory. Salted for 36 hours. NO SUGAR.

Halibut seared to form a criust on one side then baked in same pan at 400 for 10-12 min. Any sauce you like, cilantro, lime and salted black bean, or just had sweet sake (miron) and miso with shitake mushroom green onion

Cooking fish right == just cooked enough that the protiens are set , i.e. turn white, (the white stuff that comes out) but not dried. Just forming. That is maximum juice for cooking time.

Cheers!

PS: don't even get me started on shellfish.
  20. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Keep going back and forth between bluegill and crappie. Goin' t have eat a bunch more before I can decide. Come on warm weather!