Your favorite eating fish

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Fresh trout from a cold alpine lake, grilled over a campfire on a stick, 20 miles from the nearest road, under a huge star-filled sky.

Especially tasty if you're out of food because of, ummm, miscalculations.....:rolleyes: :mad:

2. Canned shellfish are an abomination.

Red wine + chocolate + shellfish + blue cheese + licorice = vivid dreams

3. Glad to see we have a few other Walleye lovers in the bunch. Tough to beat 'em. Roger(Minnesota native)

4. 1. Smoked blueback
    2. Panfish, battered and fried
    3. Big-head brook trout, along an alpine lake, cooked in butter over my MSR stove

5. Dang! Hungry now!

6. For a meal, cedar or alder planked sockeye. For a snack, smoked salmon.

7. :rofl: that combo sounds like a good way to blow a hole right through your mattress, carpet, floorboards, right down to the foundation of your house.

8. :rofl:
    Mingo Mingo.... you are the man :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

9. Of our local fish it would be hard to beat a fresh ling cod fillet.

For smoked fish kokanee are the best of all our NW salmonids.

An Alpine Lake brook trout chilled over night in a snow bank and fried in butter would be hard to beat as a outdoor breakfast.

For a summer barbeque it would be toss up between a fresh resident coho or sockeye. Fresh sockeye has the edge on taste but the coho are available more consistently.

Daryle -
    I had heard that wolf eel was quite good but since all of Puget Sound is closed to the taken of them and set lines are illegal I'm assuming your "line" was a troll and I don't expect to try it.

A fun topic and can't wait until the first of May for my first ling cod feast of the year - pan fried ling (dipped in egg and rolled in Ritz cracker crumbs, boiled little red potatoes, steamed aspragus, freshw french bread and a glass of your favorite white wine - now that is eating!

Curt

10. raw hatchery steelhead, extra dead and extra bloody

11. all things Snapper......and Permit.

12. #1. Grilled Swordfish steaks
    #2. Halibut steaks
    #3. Alaskan Sockeye

That's about it, other than canned albacore packed in spring-water.

LB

13. 1st. 18'' to 20'' resident coho
    2nd. Ling cod
    3rd. Black Sea Bass

In that order!

14. hatchery steelhead and chinook salmon, spring or early fall.

15. Mingo, although my experience is not as you describe, I defer to your mastery of matters of stool, BS and liquid flatulance (aka "swamp ass":eek: bawling: :eek: ). I have revised the equation:

Shellfish+licorice+red wine+blue cheese+chocolate+vicodin+immodium= really vivid dreams;)

Boot

16. It's an incidental catch in SE Alaska when the seine gets to close to the beach, now I'm waiting for all the bricks coming at my head. LOL, Hey BDD on this board will back me up.

I did some butt cheeks in a butter sauce tonight , can't beat it.

Daryle

17. No question for me, a high lake Brook Trout. Seasoning and butter optional.

18. What a great thread. So many ideas, so little time...

Thanks Coach, and many others!. I am definitely going to try your recipes.

19. :rofl: :rofl: Daryle, that's just too damn easy.................I'm leaving that one alone....:rofl: :rofl:

I love grilled ulua, dorado, wahoo (from restaurants or friends, still a wahoo virgin bawling: ) and lots of others............triggerfish are great. Grew up on crappie fillets, dipped in bisquick, fried in hot butter...........gotta beg 'Yard to take me to a good spot :) .............................

20. Rainbow Trout on the BBQ in a nice lemon, butter, Jonnys, Beer mix. mmmm a nice Heffy will really set this one off!