Your favorite fly casting skiff?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by surfnfish, Sep 29, 2010.

1. surfnfish

surfnfish Member

Have been looking for a skiff/pram to use for fly fishing tidewater here in Oregon, where I target salmon and sea-run's, and fish solo 99% of the time. Have had drift boats, to cumbersome for tidewater, and a sled, just too much boat when I'm rarely more then a half mile from where I launch.
    So I've been looking for a stable, open cockpit, 12' - 14' skiff/pram style boat that I can push with a Minn Kota Riptide. Will be looking at an older Hi-laker and a Olympian tri-hull skiff. Would appreciate any feedback on what works for you in similar circumstances, or other boats you would recommend.

Thanks!

2. martyg

martyg Active Member

I had a 17.5" Aquasport that was just about perfect, but too heavy for launching off of manke ramps. If I had to do it all over again I would definitely consider a flats or bass boat. The casting deck room on bass boats is just tremendous, but with either boat you'd have to watch big boat traffic and subsequent wakes. There were several times that my Aquasport took water on from big wakes.

3. surfnfish

surfnfish Member

thankfully i fish in a 5 mph zone which is usually pretty safe..until a knucklehead in a passing jet sled decides to peg it for cheap hoots..

4. wet line

wet line New Member

You might want to consider a Livingston. The twin hull design is a very stable platform and lots of freeboard. I have fished out of an 8 footer in the Sound and lakes for a long time and have been caught in some rough water on more than one occasion and the boat handled it well.

It takes a bit of time to get used to the characteristics of a tunnel between the twin hulls as the boat tracks differently than a single hulled boat.

Dave

5. BFK

BFK Member

Avoid the Olympian...I have an inherited 12-footer, and they are waaaay over-rated. A 14-foot Hi Laker will be too heavy for your Riptide, unless you're running a 36-volt system, IMO (I had one of those as well). I'd look at a 14 Smoker Alaskan/Lodge or a Lund. The Livingston might be a good choice (and yeah, I had one of those, too, a 10-footer). They are stable as all get out, but not the most comfortable boat because of the tunnel.

6. FLGator

FLGator Member

surfnfish,
    Been thinking a little more about your situation and one of the Spring Creek Prams might be an ideal platform for your needs.

7. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    You might want to consider a jon boat. Something like this Lowe 1032.
    http://www.loweboats.com/showroom/rivited-jon/lowe-jon/l1032.php
    There are a bunch of different companies that make very similar boats, G3, Tracker etc. They aren't very heavy, easy to store outside, nice flat bottom and very little upkeep needed.

8. surfnfish

surfnfish Member

think you're right...starting to look for a high sided jon. The river I fish puts out salmon in the 40# range occasionally, and want to have enough boat under me that when i get out on the rail, I've got some forgiveness..Livingston are great boats, just can't used to standing in them with the tunnel hump (not to mention having xl feet)..

9. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

I use an older 12' smokercraft sportsman in the lakes and bays around here. plenty stable enough to stand and cast and theres enough room for two and a couple of crab pots also. I power it with a riptide 40# and it gets around fine. I never go more than a mile or two from the launch. I found it much more stable than the Jon boat I had before.

10. surfnfish

surfnfish Member

just looked over a 12' Hi-Laker..would have been perfect except the transom was rotted out because the owner had "lost" the transom cap and left the wood exposed for years..sure would like to find one..

11. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Hard to beat the utility of a good old aluminum jon boat or more typical boat like a Smoker Craft or Duroboat. I am most fond of wood boats though and can recommend the 14' Perfect Mac from Ray's River Dories (in Portland). While no boat is best for everything, this one does many things very well. It's a river boat primarily but is also great for lakes, bays, estuaries. I'd expect they're hard to find used. I know I'll never sell mine.
    www.raysriverdories.com/
    I power my boat with a Riptide sometimes, 8hp Honda sometimes, and often w/oars.

12. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member

Two years ago I remembered seeing a flat bottom Klamath Jac boat at GI Joe's in Portland. Went to look at it again and bought it that day. It is called a 10 footer, although it is 10'6" in length and 36' wide. All welded and very stable. SS

13. surfnfish

surfnfish Member

Thanks for the feedback - pretty settled on picking up a 12" Hi-Laker in decent condition. 65" beam, basically flat bottom with a forward entry V, so very stable, a bit under 200# so easily pushed with a 50# Minn-Kota, and I like the "quiet" of fiberglass for flyfishing...

A couple have just popped up so will start going thru the process...