Your favorite fly tying hooks on-line store?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by TB, Oct 20, 2012.

1. TB Member

Ma's cow, Idaho area
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    I'm trying to find an on-line hook store I seen before that had quite a selection, and allowed you to choose between 25,50,100 pk, but I can't find it now. What's your favorite store?
  2. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +635 / 2
    I am also interested in online hook shopping. My local fly shop has scud hooks and straight hooks but very little barbless and other curved hooks like caddis style and others. Am also interested in the large eyed hooks in smaller sizes.
  3. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +496 / 2
    Allen is building up a pretty good pile of their own branded hooks. Wholesale sports "house brand" hooks are good quality, but I do not think they do mail order.

I don't know of anywhere that has 25/50/100 pk choices. But I also don't do that much hook ordering. So someone else probably knows better than I do. Most of the fly mail order and online tying material places have good selections.
  4. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,618 / 2
    Allen has price breaks for ordering in bulk
  5. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    Feathercraft has 100 packs for some TMC hooks. The guys at Allen are great to deal with and are sponsors of this site.
  6. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,224 / 0
    Thefishguy.com

K
  7. fisherjon Member

Oak Harbor,Washington
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    i usually order from allen and its usually alot at one time because you cant beat their 3 free fly box deal with an order of 60$ or more
  8. dflett68 Active Member

snohomish
    Ratings: +189 / 0
    i don't tie myself but i did notice that cabela's sells in 25 or 100 packs. i know they are kind of anathema to some here, but there it is, for what it's worth.
  9. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +101 / 0
  10. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    What I'd like to find is 'someone' who sells 'doubles' at a price that doesn't suck your breath away. Single point? Cheap as chips, as are trebbles. Doubles ...... Sweet Jesus! Spare me!!!!!!
  11. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,125 / 4
    I think I'm gonna give those Allen hooks a try next time I make a hook purchase. Price is right, they have mostly what I tie with on a regular basis, and people I know seem to like them.

I hadn't been on the Allen site in a while. Its looking great and super easy to navigate on my phone.
  12. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    I started using ALLEN FLY FISHING Hooks. Great quality and fantastic price!
  13. Dave Westburg Member

Kirkland, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +21 / 0
  14. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    I've found salmon/steelhead fly hooks in quantities of 10, 25, 50, 100, etc. from various vendors on eBay, from U.S. and Canada. Often they'll sell multiples for no extra shipping charge. Service has been satisfactory, although shipping from Canada can take around a month. (I imagine that Canada Post has one arthritic, myopic postal inspector who process all international mail shipments.)
  15. TB Member

Ma's cow, Idaho area
    not the one I was looking for but looks pretty good. I might be thinking of Allen, but their site looks different than what I remember. Have they changed something recently? Probly not them, but I have them bookmarked for some reason.

Are the "Fish guy's " hooks prety comperable? How many times do I hafta bounce these hooks off the rocks behind me before I can use them in "barbless only" waters?
  16. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,224 / 0
    I haven't bought hooks from Allen so can't comment on how comparable TFG's are. (I'm pretty sure that without knowing where each company sources their hooks or without the ability to perform a metallurgical analysis, you'll never be able to definitively compare them anyway.) I can say that I've been buying hooks from TFG for a half dozen years or so and have not been disappointed. I don't break hook points off very often, but your mileage may vary.

K
  17. TB Member

Ma's cow, Idaho area
  18. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    I think if you have something that works, stick with it. I use Tiemco, Mustad, etc. I just look for quality and a deal. Allen's had free samples offered here a while back. I like the hooks and like the price so I bought more. When I need new hooks, I now buy Allen's. Fast service and I can't tell the difference in them and the old Tiemco. I have had several Hooks with no hook or no eye from the newer Tiemco.
  19. TB Member

Ma's cow, Idaho area
    Ahhh....quality control, it aint what it used to be.
  20. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    I've used Tiemco, Alec Jackson Spey, with some Mustad, Owner and Gamakasu (sp?) sprinkled in. Amazon.com works for all of them including 100 packs of the Tiemco hooks.I buy the mustad, Gams and Owners at the local BiMart.

I'm not sure there is anything that cannot be bought on Amazon anymore.

I confess that I horded so many hooks in the old days that until this fall, the last time I bought hooks online it was from Kaufmanns.