Your "favorite" fly

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Sourdoughs, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Sourdoughs

Sourdoughs -Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist

Media:
    (Sort of building off the "1 and only 1 fly" thread, but a new twist)

NOT (necessarily) your most productive fly, but just your favorite fly. Could be you have great memories when using the fly, or could be it's just the most asthetically pleasing fly for you. What is your "favorite" or "most special" fly?

For me it's the Renegade. This was one of the first fly I tied when I was just learning and, for some reason, just loved the way it looked. I tied up a bunch, probably size 12 with disproportionate hackle and all, and caught some of my first fish with it. Ever since, on some of my toughest fishing days, a Renegade will nab a fish here and there. It's not the most productive fly, but one that holds some special history for me.

How 'bout you?

2. Calvin1

Calvin1 Member

Media:
    Schroeder's Emerger. Cool looking bug and very productive.

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    EHC size14---Black

Jim

4. Ruspin

Ruspin New Member

I like the Madam X and I have tied a bunch of different variations to the standard pattern since I first tied one. I used a single Madam X fishing a long day in Montana a few years back. I was rolling dozens of cutties to 15" and Browns to 20" and the rattier that fly got, the better it worked. I should have retired that one and put it on the shelf of prestige.

5. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Sparkle Dun

6. tbuss

tbuss Member

I seem to have a lot of luck with any fly that has rubber legs. The legs must move around so it looks alive or something. And of course I love EHC - they just seem to work everywhere at any time. Dry, skated or wet fished, the EHC seems to produce.

7. Sourdoughs

Sourdoughs -Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist

Media:
    Old Man and Yakima, what is it about the fly that makes it special to you?

8. Teeg Stouffer

Teeg Stouffer Fish Recycler

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have a nameless fly that I tied one evening on a whim. I had a bunch of pink materials on my desk from tying flies for pinks, so I tied up a sort of sparse Atlantic-style pink fly that I just think looks pretty.

I don't know where or how I'd fish it, but I sort of fell in love with it. After I finish a batch of flies, I set them on the desk, and pick them up when I take a king's ex from work, as I work from home and my computer desk is next to my tying desk. I found myself always gravitating to that fly, I just like it.

Haven't fished it yet, maybe never will...

9. Jim Jones

Jim Jones flytosser

Media:
    parachute adams - various colors and sizes

10. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

I'd have to say that it would be a Black Doc Spratley tied the original way.
    I like to tie a bunch of these right after Pheasant season is over while I have
    some fresh rump feathers. They are a beautiful fly that has caught me alot of fish. I think that it was one of the first flies that I bought way back when I started getting my line wet. I've always kept a few in my fly box since.

11. Nol

Nol Needs to fish more..

Media:
    Elk hair caddis...caught my first fish fly fishing on it and it always seems to be a good go-to fly (if i am not already using it)

12. cmtundra

cmtundra New Member

Media:
    The H & L Variant, simply because it's a cool-looking classic kinda' fly. Also, I'm a little lame at tying feather wings, so a hair wing fly like the H&L Variant produces fewer 4-letter words and less overall frustration at the tying table. Not to mention, it floats well and offers good visibility.

13. flylikeIdo

flylikeIdo Member

Dick Nite 50/50! With a tiny bit of red marabou tied off hook.

14. AFJBugger

AFJBugger New Member

Answer: Olive Sparkle Dun

Reason: I was fishing Hot Creek in the Sierra’s when I was 16, I was pretty new to fly fishing but was capable of catching fish. I was fishing all hand me down gear, no waders, old beat up shoes, and a backward hat among the Sage, Simms and Orvis gentleman of LA and SF. Nobody was catching anything on the mayflies that were abundant in the air, but me and my buddy were catching fish after fish that were tight to the bank feeding on caddis from the bushes.
    Finally a guy yells down to us (same guy that gave us a “f-off” look in the parking lot) and asks what we were using. Before I could respond my buddy replies, “A little skill!”
    Classic…what else would you expect from some punk kids skipping school, taking their dad’s car and driving 250-300 miles to go fish?
    My Dad still loves that story! I guess I was raised to root for the underdog!
    I was just jealous, I wanted and still want all that gear! :D

:beer2:

15. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Elk Hair Caddis. It was one of the first flys I tied and it is still a "go-to" when all else fails. My other fly was a "one-off" creation resembling a red flying termite, burnt orange floss body tan calf hair wing. Strictly a late summer choice for SRCs, I caught the largest Cutt in my life to date from the Dosewallips.

16. Backyard

Backyard SANCHO!

Media:
    Not my go to fly but really fun when they are getting targeted...

Big Hoppers!

Nothing like seeing big browns move out from an undercut bank to hammer something off top.

17. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    For steelhead, it's a Blue Moon or some variant of a Blue Moon. For stillwater trout, it's a callebaetis cripple. For river trout, it's a lightning bug. All have memories attached and all have been productive. I do have to agree w/ Backyard, though, it's hard to beat slapping hoppers against a cut bank and having trout hammer them. It doesn't get much more fun than that.

18. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    AFJBugger, I love the story, and the retort which I have stored to be recycled later for the wise asses you inevitably come across from time to time.

Favorite fly: a white on white epoxy head minnow with some sparkle; caught my first salt water Coho and SRC on it; sits in a position of honor at the top of my beach salt water box; chewed up and retired, but still displayed for the memory.

19. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Henryville Special
    Because I was born and raised in PA and lived in Henryville for a time. Fished the Brodhead and McMichaels constantly. I can think of no other flies quite as elegant as traditional Pennsylvania/NewYork style dies. The Henryville Special was originated to duplicate the caddis hatches in the Henryville section of Brodhead Creek. It can be skated and skittered, free drifted or manipulated just about any way you like. Fish love em. More than any other, this fly reminds me of the beauty of the streams, the fish and the Poconos 30 - 40 years ago.
    Much of what is now known as Catskill style actually began on the rivers and creeks of the Poconos before moving north.

TC

20. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    How about the "Hornberg". A venerable multi presentation fly. I luv em!