Your "favorite" fly

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Sourdoughs, Sep 2, 2005.

1. ncitrez

ncitrez Too many hobbies.....

No question for me. EHC all the way. I have a full box dedicated to just EHCs in various colors/sizes. That fly will catch fish just about anywhere, in any type of water.

Close second for the Stimulator.

2. PT

PT Physhicist

The Citation.
    Best steelhead fly ever. Named by me after a meeting with a gamie in selective waters. :thumb:

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

I like it because it works. But basicly I like all EHC flies in many colors and sizes. And you will find these flies in almost every state in the union.

Jim

4. FT

FT Active Member

Tim,

Don't know if you know this or not, but Al Troth is also from eastern PA (he moved to MT in his late 20's) and the Elk Hair Caddis was/is nothing more than a Henryville Special tied with an elk hair wing and dubbed body instead of floss with the wing stub left sticking up to aid in skating the fly and a gold or silver wire rib to both hold the hackle in place and reinforce (Troth ties the hackle in at the wing tie down area and palmers it rearward holding it in place with the wire rib as the wire is brought forward).

Troth wanted a caddis imitation that floated better than the Henryville Special, held up a little better, and that skated better than the other Pocono creation, the Deer Hair Caddis (which was tied with a hackle collar over the wing tie down).

My favorite fly depends on if summer or winter. In winter it is Glasso's Orange Heron on an AJ #3 hook. This fly not only swims wonderfully (as do all well tied spey flies), I have caught more winter fish on it than any other. In summer, it is Bob Arnold's Spade tied with a peacock herl body on a #7 or #9 AJ Steelhead Iron. A simple and very effective fly that just swims very well when grease lined and it doesn't scare fish in skinny water along with looking good in the smallist steelhead sizes. I never fish in summer/fall without having about 6 of them with me.

5. Pontooner

Pontooner Member

Media:
    Yellow Wolley Worm
    2 Reasons

Reason 1- When nothing else seems to be working this fly seems to produce, no clue why yellow but it just seems to get me that fish on the day that I have almost given up.

Reason 2- About 10 years ago coming home from a week fishing Seep lakes I lost a float tube with all my fly boxes. That day I lost every single fly I owned except the one on my rod..............a yellow wolley worm.

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    You might have something here. The biggest fish that I got out of Lake 16 was with a yellow WB and have lost some yellow WB's in Lake Martha up by Warm Beach from some monster hits. Yes I have faith is those color flies.

Jim

7. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Sorry about that. I'm a Mayfly guy. I love to be in huge May hatches covered in them, as fish just go lazily along sipping them as fast as they can.

I have a history with that fly, one that goes back 20 years or so. It has a few variations that have evolved, but the earliest pattern to me still is the most effective. I tie it in 3 body colors, always the same wing and tail materials. The problem is I'm starting to run low on fine, short tipped deer hair. And trying to find the hair I like is really getting few and far between for some reason.

Nothing more amazing that watching huge trout come up on them with the grace and calmness when they rise on Mayflies. I have watched I don't know how many fish rise to the fly, and just stand there and admire these fish and how they feed, and never set the hook. Almost like a slow balet.

8. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

FT
    Yes, I am aware of the evolution from the Henryville Special to the EHC, but thanks for the input.
    It serves as perfect illustration of the evolution of flies as they are adapted by new generations of fishermen to new locations and water types.

Flies are like music, they all evolve from previous influences which can usually be traced back to thier origin.

TC

9. FT

FT Active Member

Tim-

Absolutely!

Unfortunately, far too often people either don't know, forget, or don't care about the origins of a fly. This is why we have so many flies that are the same as another, identically constructed fly with exactly the same color body, hackle, tail, and wing that are called something different simply because it used dubbing instead of floss, floss instead of dubbing, chenile instead of dubbing, small flat tinsel instead of oval tinsel, calftail instead of bucktail wing, dyed grizzly instead of natural brown hackle, etc. without having any difference in how it fishes or its look.

A few examples so folks don't understand where I'm coming from. If I tie a Black Gnat with black dubbing instead of chenile, is it now a different fly deserving a new name? Or if I tie a Green Butt Skunk with a floss tag and floss body, is it now no longer a Green Butt Skunk? Or I tie a Hare's Ear Nymph with synthetic hare's ear dubbing instead of natural hare's ear dubbing, is it now a different fly?

10. Porter

Porter Active Member

Royal Coachman...first trout on the fly...red side RB....Spring Creek, OR. On a Berkely Cherry rod/reel combo 7/8 weight. Still have that memory like yesterday. 1978
    From age 12-15 I went down to the Williamson/Sprague River system...great fishery. I want to go back so bad...but when ...and now it will cost a shinny penny with gas $$$.

11. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Thanks, Porter. After this many years, I suppose it took that many posts.

"....everybody has faith in the Coachman."

-AJMcClane, 1953, The Practical Fly Fisherman

12. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    With out a doubt mine is the Olive Wooly-Bugger. This fly, tied in various sizes, has accounted for many fish including my first fly caught Steelhead and Bull Trout, both of which were caught on the same day in the same run. :thumb:

LB

13. Sourdoughs

Sourdoughs -Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist

Media:
    Hey, Porter, the Trude Coachman was the 2nd fly I gained an affinity to. I loved the Golden Pheasant Tippet tail, which I couldn't believe came from real bird. I also love the royal body. It's a damn great looking fly. It worked well for me in the first few years, too.

Again, it's not the fly that catches the most fish for me, but it's one of my favorites in terms of the memories and history I have with it.