Your favorite Lg arbor reel under $200??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by 05tacoma, Dec 26, 2005.

1. 05tacoma

05tacoma Member

Hi,
    I need to upgrade a 6 wt reel and would appreciate any info you might offer on brands to consider. I will use it in fresh and salt water... targeting larger trout, summer steelhead, dollies, pinks, etc.

I've checked out a bunch of stuff on the web... and am leaning toward a Scientific Anglers System 2 LA or an Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor...

Any thoughts?

2. wboles3

wboles3 Member

If you are not completely set on a Large Arbor reel. Check into the Redington CD Series. I have a Mid Arbor Redington CD5/6. I used it on the pinks this year in the salt and at Lenore without any problems. Great Reel for the price.

Bill

3. Doug

Doug Member

I bought the Orvis LA las spring and haven't had any problems with it and love it.

A local guide also gave me some advice when looking at them. He told me to hold the frame with one hand and the spool with the other hand and move them with a rocking motion to see how loose it is. The Orvis had a lot tighter fit than some other well known and more expensive reels. This is what sold me on the Orvis.

4. dude_1967

dude_1967 Chris

British Fly Reels Dragonfly Large Arbor (not the BFR Dragonfly Cartridge).

Unfortunately BFR products can be a bit hard to find in the USA.

The BFR Dragonfly LA is inexpensive, bomber yet lightweight --- a hard to find combination in LA reels.

Chris.

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor
    Orvis BK LA
    Redington CD
    Tioga
    Cortland Endura ..supposed to be a nice reel.
    Ross Cimarron LA

6. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

I support the Ross Reels product line; made here in the USA, a great repuatation for quality and durability,and the best service program anywhere. There are several under $200 these days.

The Ross Cimmaron would be especialy good though.

7. Porter

Porter Active Member

I should add if you want to go way of Ebay you could get an Ross Gunnison 3 for under 200.00. A great reel. And Ross still carries parts and extra spools if ever needed. I think they originally retailed for mid-high 200.00's....but better than any reel mentioned. just a thought.

8. i have bought a Orvis Battenkill large arbor reel and have found it pretty awsome. The only problem was that the first one i pick up, i was fishin for chum one day and the center spindle went loose on it and i couldnt fish all day cuz of it rubbing on metal to metal. I took it back to the fly shop and received a new one which has been workin out great.

9. Dick Warnke

Dick Warnke was Pram-Man

I have an Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor and love it

10. tippet

tippet hardcore flyfishing addict

Spend just a little more and get a Ross Evolution 3.

11. Kim Ferris

Kim Ferris left-handed sort of way

i'll second, third, or fourth the Ross reel recommendation. I've got two and there's been nothing but happiness. i would never underestimate the value of spare parts and spools. search the threads on people looking for spools on older reels.

k

12. MrP

MrP Member

Ditto the Ross recommendation. Several choices and price points, excellent product, great warranty.

13. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Loop makes a nice reel in your price range. I got mine from All About The Fly.
    They have a good selection in that price point. You might also check out the new okuma reel at Creekside or Kaufmanns too.

14. CopRJohn

CopRJohn New Member

I agree with Bob Triggs, Ross reels are awesome and made in the USA...

15. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

Lamson Litespeed 1.5 - 3 Guide finish BRAND NEW/MINT on Ebay if your lucky. I got both of mine for under 200.00 each. Good luck!

The best store bought LA reel under 200.00 is imo the 140.00 Teton Tioga Magnum LA reel, there is none better. Sealed drag,lifetime warranty,true LA,barstock aluminum, and most of all made in the USA!

16. HMCFisherman

HMCFisherman Member

I've got all of these...

Orvis BK LA solid reel with minimal backing (not that big a deal unless fishing bigger fish)

Lamson LS great reels, but probably out of price range

Ross evolution (the bomb!), but probably out of your range

Teton Tioga--great reel, a little heavy, but a fantastic value.

Good luck

17. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Evolutions are awesome but I wouldn't recomend extended use of one in the salt. They have an issue with the button you depress to pop the spool off from the reel if you do not rinse it thoroughly. The button gets to the point where you can depress it but it doesen't lock into place when you place it on the reel.

This summer I was fishing for pinks almost every day from the beach or from my boat. I'd rinse my reel after every use, but aparently I didn't rinse it long enough. I spent an entire day catching pinks without using my reel, I just let the spool sit on a seat in my boat and put most of my line in my stripping basket. It was a lot of fun but a lot of work, the pinks were pretty thick that day, I got tired of pulling them in after 4 or 5 fish.

Regardless of what you choose, make sure it has a sealed drag if you're going to fish the salt.

18. Jake Smulkowski

Jake Smulkowski Throwing hoppers into baetis falls

I just picked up a Teton Tioga for my beautiful custom 8wt built by WFF member James Mello...It's a bit heavy but I am really pleased with it.

19. 05tacoma

05tacoma Member

Hi all - I settled on the Ross Rhythm. Thanks for the input, it was really helpful.