Your favorite trailer hook?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by John Hicks, Feb 3, 2013.

1. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +182 / 1
    I've been going through different styles of trailer hooks for while. I started out with Tiemcos but got tired of the hook point dulling and bending every time it touches a rock. I moved to Owners and liked them but again same issue albeit less so.

I really like Gamakatsu C14S goo-bug hooks, sticky sharp, hold point but the largest they come in is size 2. I tie my stingers with cable that wont run through the eye of a size 2 easily. Anyone have their preferences and why?
  2. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    I just carry a diamond hone and regularly sharpen ANY hook. I think they all dull with use. I am absolutely sold on a sharp hook. You just never know what cast it's going to be.
    The Owners I like - just keep them as sharp as you can
  3. Chris DeLeone Active Member

Monroe, WA
    Ratings: +90 / 0
    Interesting debate - I went through this two years ago. I was fishing the Gamakatsu octopus - but didn't like that I couldn't resharpen them back to a 'sticky" feel. So then I went to Matzuo's - lost a few fish and really didn't like they way they bent out. So then I went to Owner cutting point and went right back to where I was with the Gamakatsu hook - I could get them sticky again.

Two things then happened in like two weeks - Tom Larimer and I talked about what hooks he uses and he said we went back to the Owner SSW. Solid hook and you can resharpen it pretty well -then I talked to a gear guy and he showed me the Speedy Sharp - a carbide sharping tool that "peels the steel" and really get my hooks back to that sticky feel - its the best thriteen bucks a steelheader will spend.

So I fish the Owner SSW in #2 mostly and I use the Speedy Sharp to get them back to a Sticky feel -
    Jamie Wilson likes this.
  4. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +887 / 1
    I'm with John, I like the Gamakatsu Octopus hook, normally in size 6 for stinger-style streamers. I use Firewire looped and tied through the eye and then again through my main hook eye, cutting off the lead hook, for a secure attachment.
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  5. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +323 / 0
    I hated having a mojo fly that had to tip bent over of broken, when it was hardened steel. I ended up doing the small diamond sharpener thing and sticking with Gamakatsu.

I am guilty of spending a considerable amount of time, many many times to be honest, honing a favorite fly back into shape with a rock on the bank. Even when I had an identical fly sitting in my fly box. Something personal about the mojo of a fly and keeping it in service until it has earned it's place on the ceiling of my truck.
  6. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,704 / 0
    Chris,

Where do you get this Speedy Sharp device? I've been using an Easy Lap diamond sharpener with fair success, but not always the sticky sharp I prefer. Previously I used a mill bastard file for decades, but remove so much metal I've taken entire points off hooks trying to get them sharp.

Sg
  7. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +151 / 0
    Gami octopus here in size 4 and 2 for my stingers. I seem to be able to sharpen them fine.
  8. Chris DeLeone Active Member

Monroe, WA
    I get them at 3 Rivers marine in Woodinville - I think most gear targeted sporting good shops have them.
  9. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,263 / 1
    Although I don't steelhead much, I use Gamakatsu Octopus for all saltwater stingers. I buy them in 100 or value packs (25) to get the best bang for the buck.
    I always try to leave the stinger loop long enough that I can just swap out the hook in the field if it gets dinged.
    SF
  10. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +604 / 0
    I've been mostly using Owner mosquito hooks size 1.
  11. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,337 / 0
    I echo Derek. Mostly in size six also, but will move up to four or two if the dimensions of the fly call for it. But instead of line I use white backing looped through both eyes, wrapped, and gorilla glued. I then use a sharpie to color the backing to blend in with color of the fly.
    Derek Young likes this.
  12. sashjo Member

Lakewood, WA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0

Really, were you using the # 2 TMC 600 SP?
  13. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    It's the fly mojo. Very difficult to understand. Sometimes what began as a fully dressed fly becomes threads and it continues to produce. Start over - game over.
    New fly - exact as possible - you just can't start over.
  14. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    I am convinced that you should only fish your sharpest hooks. To do this you need to sharpen them in the field.
  15. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +783 / 0
    Owner 2 and 4.
    Blake Harmon likes this.
  16. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    I've been using owners usually in size two. I'm with Stonefish in that I leave my stinger loop long enough to be able to switch out hooks when they get dull. Looks like i may need to find this sharpener though, as I still haven't found one that I really like that gets the hooks back to being sticky enough.
  17. Chris DeLeone Active Member

Monroe, WA
    To me its been important to move from the Owner Cutting point with its patented T shaped edge - that has been the battle getting that type of edge hook sharp. I went back to basics and as I said use the SSW.
  18. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +852 / 0
    gama 50409 splitshot/drop shot hook, it has more of a hunchback allowing it to pass over rocks without as many dinged points, its also more of a circle hook, and it is a finer wire material than the octopus
  19. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +345 / 1
    I have used the Octopus and the splitshot/dropshop hooks by Gamakatsu. They both work well and I sharpen them when they get dull or change them out depending on the weather and water conditions.
  20. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    I have stopped using octopus style hooks altogether. (for me, again, this is just me).....the angle, even when snelled/looped, is all wrong. Pull on the hook and the shank pulls forward causing the point to go in or penetrate at a 45 degree angle. I believe this in turn causes you to lose allot more fish, and takes more energy to penetrate to the "barb". I like a hook that pulls true or straight and gets the most energy transferred from the tip of the rod into the fish's mouth. Get an Octopus hook out, loop it the way you do, and hook it to your thumb. Pull gently until it hurts, and you will see what I described above. For these reasons, I tend to use the splitshot/dropshot hooks by gamakatsu either in a size 1 or 1/0. (their 1/0 is about the same as a size 2 octopus.) I also Offset the hook for better hookups.
    Jamie Wilson and Mark Kraniger like this.