your fishing "focus"

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by bhudda, Mar 25, 2007.

1. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

so me and my girlfriend were talking tonight after spending some time in the garage and she was commenting on how she could see my inventory of flyfising equipment has made a transition to spey equipment and how i havent used singlehand rods for awhile. we came to the conclusion that i am now converted to the two handed way of life and that my "FOCUS" has changed. my focus has also changed from catching fish per say, to casting technigue. i am more interested in the cast then the catching now. i have gone from focusing on catching while im in a run to perfecting the cast. the GOAL is still the same in the end, the hookup , the fight, the release, its all the stuff in the middle that has my attention now.
    have you gone thru the transition from one to another?
    the art of spey as i call it was an even bigger punch to the stomach then the singlehand flyfishing:) still waitin' fer air!

2. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

My focus is still on catching fish, but it's the manner in which I do it, and the content of that catch that matter to me. I want to catch a fish, but if I can't do it within the bounds of how I want to do it, I'd rather not do it at all. Beit the technique, gear, geographic location, species, whatever, I want to do it on my terms for my reasons. And to avoid the arguments that might follow, I'll keep my terms and my reasons to myself.

I guess I see it as, "anyone can catch a fish. Not everyone can do it like this...." So the catch is important, but it's the manner in which I make the catch that make it "special."

3. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

This is a good topic. I like what I've read so far.

For me, I find myself more and more thinking about Puget Sound. I think about places I have not been, and places I have been. Every now and then I have one of those incredible days where the fish are right where they should be. Those types of days keep me coming back, looking for new spots that look like they should hold fish. A lot of it is just exploring new water. By the time I die, I hope I have had the opportunity to have explored nearly every part of the Sound. Of course I wouldn't mind catching a fish here and there along the way. The journey is what it's all about though.

A lot of time is spent casting in the salt, when you fish the sound you learn to bomb casts, you have to learn to doublehaul, and you learn to perfect it. I love it when you just nail a cast, and you shoot out 100'+ feet of line, so much line that you don't have enough slack and you hear that *pink* noise as your cast tries to rip off more line then it's been allocated. You look at your buddy, grin, and yank another 10' off the reel.

When I sit down to tie I usually intend to tie something specific, but just end up tying more beach tube flies, or some new style of clouser to to try out in the salt. I've found myself collecting 6wt's just for the sound.

I don't feel like I have mastered it, or even come close, but I've had success, and I've been able to repeat it. That keeps me coming back, the gratification of everything coming together, and above all, it's right in my backyard.

4. WT

WT Member

I like trouts, bugs, hatches and flies.
    There's other things too; I like carp flats, beaches when there are fish around (pink year!), dolly's and bulls, smallies and the other warm water fishes.
    Every once and awhile I get the itch to fish for steelhead.
    Fished in the tropics once, that was cool.
    But most of the time I like fish the trout streams and stillwaters.
    WT

5. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Ibn you should go up to the San Juans w/ me this ling cod season.. I can show you a couple good spots if you can keep them out of the public limelight.

6. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

High lakes.

Fly fishing has brought me to neat places I'd never have seen otherwise though. I never wet a line til 2004, and never fly fished til 2006. Been in the woods since I could walk, the fishing is a neat addition to the whole package.

Plus tying is its own hobby. Some call it "knitting for men", I call it lot of fun for whoever can scrape together a few items to make into things fish might like.

7. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

This is a cool thread Jeff................for me, lately it's about just getting my butt away from work and other commitments just to go somewhere, anywhere for a brief chance to chill, escape from stress and cast a few bugs. I always want to catch something but just being out there, as corny and cliche as it sounds, has become far more important to me (and I'll pull that line out of my ass when I get skunked around you guys in the future :rofl: "hey nice fish dude, I don't mind that I got skunked, I'm just digging being out here, and I'm happy for YOU man, no really".........:rofl:

I also find myself spending more time trying to catch a new species............that always gives me a rush.

I'll also try to give buds named Buddha more than 4 seconds advance notice the next time I invite them to go beach fishing :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

My focus was to fish with you, but you were never around. If you weren't playing with somebody's hair you were where nobody could find you. :rofl: :rofl:

I believe that I have only fished in the salt once with my fly gear. I cleaned it all up good but I guess that good wasn't good enough. The reel still got stuck. So I just stick with my first love. I just have to be out on skinny water playing around with any kind of dry I can find.. I love the take on top and I guess that I will never get tired of it. So I guess that I have never turned to anything else.

I tried the Spey thing but could never get the hang of it so I gave it all up. Now I fish the small skinny waters with a 7'9" 3wt fly rod and I'm loving it.

Jim

9. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

My focus seems to be constantly changing my focus. Did the public buddy invite on the site and ended up taking over thirty people out on the river. This helped me explore expanding what my shuttle biz could provide on the water. I went from fishing and shuttling 3-4 times a week to hoping my rig would just get me to work. Cutting and building heads for every occasion throughout the year as fishing changed. Tying lots of simple but with lots of action flies to keep up with what I lost as normal course of circumstance and give away twice as many to buddies and friends. Continue improving my overhead and Skagit style of casting. Hmmm…after looking at what I wrote and how hard it was to figure out what my focus was, it looks like I was really focused on helping other people more than myself. Man, that kind of sucks, but it was fun.

10. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

ahhh matt your an angel, WITH WINGS! ya fairie:)
    i did the catch a different species thing for a bit , but when your confined to washington you run out of species and you have to goto petco and fish for different cichlids or something? btw, the cichlids love beadhead prince nymphs in size 16, tapered to 7x.

bhudda

11. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Everything's all out of focus! Native steel, lakes, S Sound beaches, the Jetty, not enough time!:hmmm:
    Then in June, rivers and coastal estuaries complicate things even more.

12. salt dog

salt dog card shark

"In sport, method is everything." -Roderick Haigh-Brown; Fishing and the Common Man.

Seems to me that a fly fisherman's journey eventually turns to catching a fish "my way". Waking Dry Flies for steel and sliders in the salt for SeaRun Cutthroat does it for me.

13. Charlie Erdman

Charlie Erdman In search of steel

great topic. I just bought a spey setup, so I think that is where I am headed now. I am also headed up to alaska for the summer to guide, so I guess that will be my focus for the summer. For me, I think my focus depends a lot on the time of year, how busy I am with school and skiing, and trying to work around these activities to get a line wet.

Where I'd like to go...if I ever move back to the east, get the striper game down, with a two-handed rod. I've fished for stripers a fair amount, but in no way, shape, or form, do I have it down. I'd like to be one of those seasoned salt guys. kinda of like ibn.

14. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

That is it! Focus on ibn. Be the ibn.

15. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

You're probably going to need to gain about 6" and 80lbs to "be the ibn".

;)

16. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I love to catch fish. I love to tie my own bugs. Nothing is better than catching a fish on a creation that I made myself and it doesn't look like the picture in the book or even a real bug. Fuzz and feathers on a hook. "Focus Grasshopper"

17. seanengman

seanengman Trout have no politics

I focus on fishing and thats that. Fishing is the most important thing in life only to be followed up by hunting and sex.

18. NewFlyLady

NewFlyLady New Member

This is fun. It really started me thinking. Since I have not been fly fishing all that long my focus was just getting the fly in the water instead of the bushes behind me. Then I moved to actually catching fish. The next step was just looking at the water and being able to read it. In the last two years I have really found out it is a lot of fun to show really new people how to do the same things on what I call my home water in Montana. Lots of times I will be walking by someone that is obviously new. I like to stop and see if they would like some ideas or pointers. If they say yes I will usually put down my rod and spend some time with them. I have met some really great people doing just that. It is not that I know alot but I have a pretty good understanding of my river and I like sharing some of it to see new people get excited over fly fishing.

19. JS

JS Active Member

My biggest shift in focus has been, becoming decent, then becoming good, then teaching others to be decent and now were working on getting others to that level of being self proficient. The biggest thing for me was since I picked it up my dad has become more involved in the hunting thing, and less with the fishing and it has been the opposite for me, I didnt have a teacher after I got decent. So for a long time I learned everything on my own and flew solo on almost all my fishing adventures. What is awsome is I have two people now, who I enjoy spending time with fishing or not, that are showing interest in the sport. And my cousin, who is the most enthusiastic about it, is picking it up at 18 a whole hellofa lot quicker than I ever did, and to be able to show him the little things that he may not have had the chance to see other wise is so frickin rad.
    Peace
    skeels

20. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Other than hunting, I have to be the first to say that might be a little too focused.