Your most important tool for fly fishing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Warren Perry, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Warren Perry Grizzly 6

Bow, New Hampshire, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I was wondering what you would consider to be the most important fly fishing tool. We seem to place a lot of emphasis on the quality of fly rods but are really most important?

Some man consider the fly line or reels most crtitical, others might suggest water craft, leaders, sharp hooks, vises, waders, wading boots, vests, or leaders.

Personally I believe that the line is more important than the rod. You can have the best quality rod but with out a quality line you won't be able to efficienlty and effectively present a fly. Second I have to go with Waders.....there is nothing like being comfortable when on the water. Qualilty waders definately make the fishing experience more enjoyable.

Let us all know what you think.

Warren
  2. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,722 / 0
    I think that you need to get out more. You are starting to think. But I think that the car is. Without it I couldn't get anywhere

Jim
  3. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +63 / 0
    Well, waders without a good pair of boots would not be much good. Fly line without leader, leader without tippit, tippit without fly, fly without a hook...yadda...yadda.yadda!

The head bone connected to the neck bone, the neck bone connected to the back bone.....:beathead:

You need to go fishing,

LB
  4. MrP Member

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Me.
  5. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    I like my stringer. How else can i show off my wild steelhead to all my friends on the river??
  6. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +333 / 2
    When I read the opening line I immediatly thought of my car. Jim, you beat me to it again. Must be an old fogey thing. It's a sure thing I'd do even less fishing without it. Then again, as seldom as I get out there might not be a noticeable difference.
    A fly might be a close second.
  7. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,706 / 0
    All things may be connected, directly or indirectly, but not all are anywhere nearly of equal importance.

In descending order:

The essential:
    1. fly or flies
    2. leader

Without these I could neither fish nor catch fish. With them, I can, altho it would be very limiting.

The important:

3. flyline
    4. rod, it doesn't have to be expensive, just serviceable.
    5. waders, including wading boots if we're talking stocking foot here. These allow me to make more and better presentations, resulting in more hookups.
    6. reel, at some point winding that line around a stick is a hassle easily remedied with a reel.
    7. paraphenalia and accessories - sunglasses, fly box, nippers, floatant, more leader material, a bag, pack, or vest to carry it all in, etc.
    8. phase I of the fleet: float tube, raft, canoe, pontoon boat, pram, drift boat, jet sled, etc.

After that, the next 30 rods, 10 reels, a place to store it all, is just wanton consumer extravagance. Yes, I'm guilty. Very guilty.
  8. Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Auburn,Wa.
    Ratings: +141 / 0
    For me without question sun glasses. I feel naked without them. There a gotta have !!
  9. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +530 / 0
    Liscense, Reg's book, and a map.
  10. mr trout Trevor Hutton

Yakima, WA, USA.
    Being marooned in Seattle without my car while I am at school has definately showed me that the vehicle is the ultimate accessory for all the things I like to do (fishing, Hunting, Hiking, etc). This summer I fished 3-4 times per week, but since september 25th, I have fished a grand total of 30 minutes.... I think I was just as busy during the summer, with long workdays and other things, but I was able to get out. So I vote for my Nissan being my most important fishing tool.
    Second would be flies, because you can have all the gear in the world, but without flies or hooks of some sort, all you get is exercise for your arm.
  11. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +184 / 6
    I can walk to a couple of near by lakes so the car isn't a necessity. This time of year, I would have to say it's a toss up between my thermos and my flask. Sometimes I just combine the two.:thumb:
  12. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +750 / 2
    I can tell you what my least important tool is. MY COMPUTER!:thumb:

Tight lines y'all.
  13. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +565 / 0
    Sunglasses, -- safety.
    cds
  14. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,227 / 0
    Eyes.

Hands.

Fingers.

Memory.

K
  15. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    You guys need to get out more.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson
  16. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +796 / 1
    Fish...duh! :rolleyes:
  17. Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

Steelhead Central
    Well, if waders were out of the question, say if the weather was nice, I would agree, with you on the line thing. You can't land a fish on crappy leader, and also you can't get a good hold on a fish with a dull hook. And also you can't see that big steelhead or trout without proper vision altering devices, polarized sunglasses, never leave home without'em; but certain tactics don't require them. Oh yeah, don't forget the 10ft. bamboo stick for alterting napping rattlers when your in the country.
  18. Flyfishsteel New Member

GH,WA
    Waders and boots. These two items are critical that can make your day. Being comfortable and relaxed is what flyfishing is all about.

Having a pair of leaking breathables and boots that have zero ankle support will make you forget about your 1500.00 fly rig and gear real quick!

You can be somewhat cheap on other flygear, but imo boots and waders are a main priority in my book.
  19. john wells New Member

la conner wa
    for winter steelhead absolutely 5mm bootfoot waders,in the summer featherlights being warm or cool either season makes for more relaxed fishing which means better concentration, mending and all around bliss
  20. badgerman New Member

Federal Way Wa
    A wife that encourages such behavior is definatly at the top of my list. then waders, I can't imagine spending more than about 30 seconds in a 40 degree river and having fun unless it's 90 or more in the sun.