Your most important tool for fly fishing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Warren Perry, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Rory McMahon Active Member

lynnwood
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    you can stil fish without sunglasses so i dont think those. You can fish with out waders. You can just wet wade or fish from shore. wading boots arent neccisary since you can still walk around in the river without them. You may fall a few times but you can still fish with out them. A reel isn't the most important since it just holds line. You can have someting else hold the line or just tie it to your rod. You can sorta fish without a rod, not really fly fishing just holding onto line and letting the fly drift. Fly line you need but if you just let the fly drift u could use mono. A leader you can still fish without, not well or succesfully but u can still fish,and the most important is a fly. You cant fish at all without a fly. you can cast but you cant actually fish.
  2. Bob Triggs STOP KILLING WILD STEELHEAD!!!!

Ratings: +531 / 0
    A positive, receptive attitude.
  3. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    "most important tool for fly fishing?"

There is no one most important tool!
  4. Monk Redneck

Marblemount, WA
    The most important tool huh? Well I am gonna say that the knowledge that in a couple of hours you will be out of this cold water and into the arms of a hooters girl is pretty darn important.
  5. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +150 / 1
    Hmmmm. I would have to say the feeling I get every time I step into the water. The feeling of water rushing and sliding past my waders. The wisp of frozen breath as it escapes my lips rushing to join the steam lifting so softly off of the water. The sound of line rushing through the guides of the fly rod. And finally but not by any means necessary the slurp of the trout pulling my fly from the surface. Any time that I am feeling down, I think about the next day on the river.
  6. silver south paw

Mill Creek, Wa

So I guess your calling yourself.... ah em.... a tool:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  7. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +276 / 1
    I posted earlier (car and fly) but often think about thumbs. I know it's not an original thought but I often go there. Just try spending an hour doing ANYTHING (awake at least) without them. Vision and mental faculties (if you have any left) are equal but the lowly thumb seems to get left out.
    I'm done now.
  8. Rory McMahon Active Member

lynnwood
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    i was assuming tools where someting that you make, but i would have to say if a tool was anything, it would be the will to actually go fishing
  9. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How about anything that would make you turn around and go home because you forgot or didn't have it.

Your license.
    Your rod.
    Your reel.
    Your flybox(es).
    Enough money to pay for the gas you need to get there and back.
    Your waders and/or boots.
    Your float tube or fins.

In otherwords: You forgot to remove your head from your @SS!!!

The main reason I ain't fishing is that I'm trying to build some 1x10 (ported) and 2x10 guitar amp extension speaker cabinets out of marine-grade mahogany plywood. If I make enough progress, I'll go fishing. If not, it's gonna be a while, because my head is way too far up my @ss right now to try and go fishing. It would be a tad too dangerous to bother.

(Warning: SPAM!!!) :eek:

Hey... Anyone in the market for a 2x10 cab? Once I get the bugs worked out of the process, these ought to be pretty nifty. Dovetail joints and all, if things work out right.
  10. nick m New Member

Groton, Ma/Walla Walla
  11. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +652 / 1
  12. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,390 / 0
    PT,

You're my kind of angler.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
  13. trout stalker member

spokane,Wa
    its got to be the fly
  14. silver south paw

Mill Creek, Wa
    I have fished without my license. (flame on)
    I have forgot my flyboxes and still fished the one fly that was in the visor of my truck.
    I've run out of gas ON THE WAY HOME because getting there was what's important.
    I've fished even though I forgot my waders.
    I've waded Lenice because my fins were still in Seattle.
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

yeah I've fished the gaurd rail hole at pass lake... watching out for traffic on the back cast all because I forgot the seat of my pontoon boat (another important tool):beathead: :beathead:
  15. prosopium Member

a thousand miles from nowhere
    PBR and Sparks, cooler full in the boat is the key essential to a good day of fishing.
  16. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +36 / 0
    How can PBR add anything to a day of fishing?:confused: That's nasty Drano funk. Take the $3 you would spend on a case of PBR and buy one good bottle of microbrew, say Bridgeport IPA. That would add to your enjoyment:beer1:
  17. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa
    If I was in MT, I'd be drinking Moose Drool, not PBR!
  18. prosopium Member

a thousand miles from nowhere
    last time i checked Moose Drool nor Bridgeport "IPA" have ever won a Blue Ribbon. I must say Ive heard both are fine beers but realistically i couldnt live with myself if i payed 3 bucks for one beer. Im no beersnob so therefore ill drink anything thats affordable which when youre in college and all your money goes to gas money to drive to and from the river PBR is the best choice and i when i head for the river theres always one tall boy packed away in my pack. Its my most important tool.:beer1: