Your opportunity to help WDFW obtain accreditation for its

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by o mykiss, Dec 9, 2002.

1. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

amazingly effective enforcement program:

NEWS RELEASE
    WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE
    600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091

December 5, 2002

Citizens invited to call with comments
    on WDFW enforcement program

OLYMPIA – Citizens with views on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife's (WDFW) Enforcement Program are invited to phone in their comments during a special call-in session Dec. 15.

The comment opportunity is being held as part of the department's assessment for recognition by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA), a national accreditation agency for law enforcement.

Those with comments on the Enforcement Program should phone (360) 902-2862 during the call-in period, which runs from 1 to 5 p.m. on Dec. 15.

Taking the calls will be John V. Garavaglia, deputy chief of the Glendale (Colo.) Police Department. Garavaglia is conducting the over-all assessment of WDFW's Enforcement Program in a three-day visit here later this month.

His visit caps a three-year effort by WDFW to achieve CALEA recognition. If successful, WDFW would be one of only two fish and wildlife agencies in the nation to gain the recognition. Overall, about a dozen other Washington law enforcement organizations, and about 10 percent of law enforcement agencies nationwide, have CALEA accreditation.

As part of its CALEA recognition effort, the WDFW Enforcement Program has revamped its policies and operating procedures to meet CALEA standards in 97 areas.

The department should hear in about a month if it has been awarded CALEA recognition, said Lt. Dennis Nicks, who is coordinating the on-going recognition effort.

"Gaining CALEA recognition assures that a law enforcement organization is operated to high police standards in all aspects of its operations, including handling of complaints, investigative procedures, evidence handling, records management and communications," Nicks said.

The WDFW Enforcement Program consists of some 180 staff members, including more than 160 commissioned officers.

2. Dan

Dan Member

Your opportunity to help WDFW obtain accreditation for i

Hey guys!

CALEA accreditation is a big deal in the law enforcement community. Kudos to WDFW for making the effort to obtain accreditation. It's not an easy process and it's not a sure thing. I know, I've been through the process twice with the Colorado Springs Police Department. (We were successful both times). I have responsibility for the standards related to employment and promotion of police officers. Don't know as much about the standards relating to enforcement of laws, but rest assured, there are several and for an initial accreditation, it takes lots of documentation. If someone was interested in participating in the process (and there may not be anyone given that I am the first to respond to this thread), they could contact Lt. Nicks and obtain further information about the standards related to law enforcement that WDFW is attempting to prove compliance with. WDFW may very well be in compliance. However, given all the concerns I have read on this site about the lack of enforcement of state fisheries laws, they might not be. You wouldn't know unless you read the standard(s).

Dan