Your pick: Best 8 Weight under $500

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by chrome/22, Oct 24, 2009.

1. chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Hurricane Ridge, WA.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    What say you all ? I'm looking for a rod to fish steelhead & coho on the OP & and a saltwater trip or two per year out of La Push Or Neah.

Seem to like the faster action rods, not that great on casting yet but working on it...:cool:

c/22
  2. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 8
    I am biased but I'd look for a used GLX Classic 9'6" 4 piece. Used, because they can be found for under $400 IF you can locate one and they don't make them anymore. Considered the benchmark of all modern fast action fly rods.
  3. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +524 / 0
    I have not casted the GLX in an eight , but I would consider the XP and place it in the same category...in terms of performance and the 400'ish price.

The G.Loomis GL3 1088-4 is a very underrated rod,,,discontinued in 4 piece ?????, can get for 200'ish

Some of those new Echo's are catching on with a lot of folks...might be worth checking out.
  4. Jason Decker Active Member

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    you can get a NEW sage VT2 9-6 8wt under 500
    those are nice.
  5. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Yes, the GLoomis GLX Classics or Native run. For the salt, no question is the GLoomis GLX Cross Current. These rods retail well over 6oo.oo, but can be found commonly between 4-5oo.oo .

Ive had them ALL but Im well in peace with the lesser GLoomis non-glx cross currents and Redingtons RS4 rods.
  6. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,684 / 2
    Guideline rods. Soooooooo unbelievably nice for the price
  7. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +447 / 1
    A used Sage XP 896. I'm looking for one right now ; )
  8. Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I say look for a used "premium" rod in good condition for that much. You could probably pick up a very nice rod. A fast, 9'6"-10' 8wt. will do awesome for steelheading on the Peninsula. The extra length really helps. I say look for anything in the Sage RPL family, XPs are excellent, and I hear the Loomis GLXs are awesome, but I have never cast one personally.

Currently, I run a 10' Sage RPL+ and it does everything I could possibly need to do for steelheading and saltwater, except perhaps the widest runs. A spey comes in handy there, but that's another story.
    -Ethan
  9. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,684 / 2
    I just picked up a 6wt Guideline LeCie 9' MF. I'd put it up against any of the highest end rods out there
  10. Chris Puma hates waking up early

stumptown
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Skip 8 and go 7.
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,473 / 9
    Agree on the used premiums. Sage Z, XP, VT. Loomis GLX. I have at least one of these rods in various weights, each one is so amazing in the hands of an untalented caster (me). I'm sure there are more out there, but these are ones I've had my hands on and casted.
  12. chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Hurricane Ridge, WA.
    As of now I have a new Redington RS4 in the 896-4, no thoughts on it yet. A 4 day trip to the OP might give some insights.

Was able to just cast a demo Z-Axis 10' 8 Wt. today w/ a WF 8 line on it. Might just my inexperience as a caster but I thought this one would have a faster action, than it felt to me

c/22.
  13. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Used or new? Each has its benefits . . .
  14. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Three hours after your initial posting . . . did you already have this rod, or did you run out and buy a new one immediately after the first post?
  15. Chris Puma hates waking up early

stumptown
    If your such an inexperienced caster then this thread is pointless. You could pick up any rod and it would do you just fine. You're overthinking in my opinion.
  16. oldskool Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I agree with Chris. You really won't know what you want/need until you polish your casting skills.

However that being said, if you have the extra $ to spend, the above advice is good I guess. If you get the chance, barrow, rent or go to the pro shop and cast a few. I have several high end rods, yet one of my favorites to cast is a $25 3wt I purchased at a closeout sale.
  17. TD Active Member

North End
    Ratings: +125 / 0
    I'm going to throw myself out there on this one but....

Orvis T3 9' 4 piece in either a fast tip or med tip NEW for under $500. Extremely hard to beat in my opinion.

St Croix Legend Elite is also an excellent rod that you can get new for under $500.

Both come with an excellent lifetime warranty as well.
  18. chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Hurricane Ridge, WA.

I don't doubt it, tend to do that. Thinking the right rod will help make the caster I guess.

I bought the RS4 online about a 4 days ago am going to grass cast it today w/ a 40+ line.

Will fish it the RS4 this week as well as a buddys Winston Boron IIx & Scott ARC all in 8 wt. 9'-6" & 10'. Those two are over my price point, but will get to see how they feel/fish to me.

c/22
  19. Chris Puma hates waking up early

stumptown
    when it comes to rods it's like fitting into a pair of jeans. different jeans fit better on different people depending on their body type. it's really pointless to ask the advice of people on a messageboard what jeans you'd look best in. it's far better to go to store and try a bunch of pairs on and see which one looks best on you.

the worst thing you could do when buying a fly rod is to get a preconceived idea of what the people think is the best rod. then when you go them you'll constantly be thinking of what people said on the messageboard instead of listening to what you casting stroke is telling you. my advice is to have shop bring you outside with a bunch of rods. don't look at them and start casting. what feels best might pleasantly surprise you. :D
  20. oldskool Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    If you cast that Boron IIx I will all but guarantee you that you will find the money to buy one. That's exactly what happened to me. That rod makes an accidentally caught 12-14" fish feel like your using your 4wt, yet has the back bone to handle 16-20lb steelies. The action of this rod is crazy. However, I'm kinda bias.