Your Rig Mileage?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dryflylarry, Oct 22, 2010.

1. I quit looking... just made me depressed or pissed and isn't going to prevent me from going fishing or hunting, so screw it! (03 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ 6)

Steve

2. 2000 Wrangler 18-19 highway. If towing utility trailer with pontoons and camping gear, 16. If four wheeling, all day on half tank.

3. Same as my fozzie xt, I just turned 100k on her. Best rig I've ever owned, I'm a Subaru lifer now.

4. Damn, I feel really good about the 20-22mpg I get with the 08 Tacoma, towing the boat! View attachment 35346

5. 04 GMC 1/2 ton ext. cab 4x4, 5.3Litre w/ 3.73 gears: 15-16 in town, 18-19 on hiway. That's at 65-70mph. In Oregon where they don't use oxygented fuel like CA and I drive at 55-60, I've gotten 20.
    Towing a 22' Arctic Fox TT that weighs 6000 lbs wet, I get 10.5-12 mpg keeping it @ 60-65. Can pull 6-7% grades at 50-55, that's good enough for me. I'd like to have a Duramax but I don't see the cost savings when analyzed. I'd like the extra power, but don't need it and diesels get very $$ to repair. Think I'll stick with the old SBC, best engine ever made.

6. My 1993 3/4 ton GMC (50K original miles on gase engine) = 10 MPG with the 8' Lance or towing my 18' boat over the pass. 13 - 15 MPG cruising on the freeway empty.

Rarely leaves the Whidbey though.

7. 2004 4X4 Silverado extended cab w/157k, runs like a top. I've only changed the oil, tires, and brake pads..oh yeah and installed a K&N filter and flomaster w/ 3" exhaust when I bought it. MPG is okay at about 15 per gallon.

If I had to replace this truck it would still be a silverado around the same year for me.

8. iagree
    1999 Nissan Frontier V6 4x4: 16 in town, 19 highway:beathead:

9. Bad is all i know

10. Geesus. No wonder these oil companies are rich... Suck it up! I have to agree with Itchy Dog on this one!

11. Remember when the first 'anteater' droop snout big rigs first came out years ago? The old time truckers driving the big square nosed behemoths scoffed at them and called them 'sissy trucks'. But when they discovered that those sissy trucks were getting far better mileage and taking a substantially smaller bite out of the wallet they quickly caught on. Now they are the norm for long haul freight and the old square jawed Peterbuilts look like fossils.

Now fast forward to the modern pickup and you see a retro imitation of those older trucks as the manufacturers try to sell them as macho big rig clones. A new Ford Super Duty has a frontal area almost equivalent to two 4 x 8 sheets of plywood and is about just as damned aerodynamic, A Toyota Tacoma in it's attempt to be a machomobile ends up looking like a chihuahua with a bulldog's head grafted on. A new F-150 FX-4 is so tall that I can't see into the bed without standing on tippy toes. This is just pure madness and outright bullshit. Few trucks ever run the Baja or need to be jacked up for boulder hopping yet city dwellers buy them by the millions just to show that they have the capability.

Some aerodynamic sculpturing would probably increase the mileage on many of these new rigs by 2-4 mpg. For instance, a new F-250 has a CD of around .45 where a modern sedan comes in at around .25-.27. There is a hell of a lot of room for improvement between those two numbers even though the truck has a much greater mass. The shape of that mass is key and as long as it is the shape of a brick things aren't going to improve. I think engine design is years ahead of body design at this point. The application of twin fast spooling turbos, direct injection and variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust valves is driving efficiency forward while the stylist are still stuck back in the '50's somewhere.

I would gladly give up my 16mpg brick and drive a sissy truck that got 25mpg.

Ive

12. 07 Toyota Tacoma crew gets 19 pulling my drift boat and 21 hwy otherwise. I just wish the tank was bigger.

13. 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 5-speed auto, 4x4. A little better than advertised if I'm careful: 17-18 around town, 20ish on the highway. Start pushing 75 mph and up on the highway, and that number goes south quickly. It's about as aerodynamic as a brick. Interestingly, the manual stick FJ's are full-time 4x4, and they advertise 14 around town. All those guys struggle to even make that number, where I'm able to eek out a little more than the advertised 16.

14. I drive a 97' GMC sierra 5.7. Around town I get 20-25 mpg. I have a 19' Komfort trailer with a dry weight of 2987lb and towing it Im about 18-20 depending on how much in a hury I am to get there. One thing I noticed just about everything affects the mpg. I can toss in a extra set of boots and tell that they are there by my gas guage. I made a trip up the north fork clearwater and on the way back down I was fighting wind the whole way back and got just under 17mpg

15. 2002 Toyota Highlander V6 Altime AWD 212000 miles. She gets about 18 not towing anything and drops to about 16 towing an old trailer with raft.

16. I love the big blue oval

17. Hell I think instead of 8 miles/gal I get 8gal/mile...:) I drive a 1979 Bronco and wouldn't trade it for the world!!!!

18. My GMC Duramax 3500 Crew Cab long bed dually gets 15.5 on trips to Montana (about 80 mph) and drops to 13 with my 3500# 10.5' camper and 17' drift boat on the back. My brother just got a GMC 2500 short bed crew cab and got 14 mph on the same trip. Our other travel partner has the same truck as my bro with a Duramax and got 18 mph. Duallies and weight pull my mileage down, but I tried a single wheel one ton with my camper and it was squirrley plus I blew out sidewalls on 10 ply tires! Rick

19. 2003 4Runner 4.7 V8 full time AWD 85K miles averages 16.5 mpg mixed driving. I can get 18.5 at 60mph but that doesn't happen very often. Back down to 16 at 83mph on a MT trip. The Toyota accelerator debacle was a mixed blessing. I've never seen a negative report on a 4Runner but my wife won't have anything to do with it so it's a dedicated fishing rig for me.

2005 Outback XT gets around 22 mixed driving and up to 28 at 60mph. Averages around 25 on road trips, 23 with a loaded roof rack and packed full of camping gear for the family.

20. My '89 Jeep Cherokee (310,000 mi.) with the 4.0L and manual tranny gets 20 mpg, around town about 13 mpg.
    My '99 Durango R/T (121,000 mi.) gets 15 hwy at 70 mph, and around town about 10 mpg.
    My '87 Dodge 3/4 tone 4x4 (364,000 mi, 15,000 mi.on new engine) with 360 and 4:10 gears gets 10.5 hwy (I can get 12.5 if I keep it under 60 mph), around town about 5 mpg. Towing it drops to 9 mpg hwy.
    Unfortunately, my '91 Corvette ZR-1 doesn't work as a fishing rig, but it gets 26 mpg hwy and 19 around town along with being one of the world's great rides.