Your suggeston on a sub $200 5wt setup

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by unrooted, Nov 27, 2010.

1. unrooted

unrooted Member

My boss grew up in Central Oregon and is now doing his Master's project on Steelhead restoration on the John Day. He has a super stiff (not good stiff) fly rod that his dad bought him in the 90's, now he wants a better one but he doesn't make much money and wants a decent setup for around $150. I have a Cabelas rod that I like, but I don't really like Cabelas as a company, so I would like to suggest something else. I would like to hear what you would suggest he get. He wants a versatile rod, so I think a 5 wt would be best.

2. tediousthumper

tediousthumper Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin

Media:
    Echo carbon, best 5wt on the market for the price!

3. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Media:
    Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    Are you talking the total price for the outfit or for the rod? My St Croix 4pc 5wt is a great rod., at just over 2 hundred. I'm sure there are others too but what kind of fishing and what is he fishing for? good luck! Hey Thad welcome back. Jim said you were here again.

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Definitely Echo. But if he's planning on using it for steelhead though, I'd go with at least a 7wt.

5. unrooted

unrooted Member

He wants a rod that is versatile for everything, for now. Would a 7 wt be enjoyable to use on a 20' wide river with 12" trout? I know that is what he has been doing this fall. Too bad he isn't a junkie like me. I already have 3 rods, but he thinks having money in his saving's account is important.

He doesn't want to spend more than $200 total. What do you think about the $99 Echo Solo? What reel do you think is a good value? I recently bought a Okuma Integrity and I'm not too impressed, the adjustment is hard to fine tune when compared to my Cabelas RLS and Cabelas Watershed which both cost a lot more.

I'm thinking a $50 max on a reel, $100 on a rod and $40 for backing and Line and $10 for a tapered leader.

6. unrooted

unrooted Member

I'm starting to remember why I bought a Cabelas Rod. They are super cheap when you buy a combo, and then theres the return policy.

7. wet line

wet line New Member

In the price range you are considering I would probably lean towards a 6 wt. It would be suitable for summer runs as well as trout and most can handle streamers and larger flies to a degree.

There are some rods in the hundred dollar category and yes they are built off shore but in some ways that is a secondary consideration. Grigg makes some decent rods as does Kunan and some other brands. You are looking for economy correct.

Pfleugar reels are a good bargain for the money and you can get good lines for less than $50.

Is a set up like this the best, absolutely not, but very functional. The truth of the matter is that the lowest priced gear today is far superior to the highest priced gear 25 years ago and that gear caught a lot of fish and provided an immense amount of enjoyment.

You do not have to be on the cutting edge to catch fish. The manufacturers and distributors would like you to believe that but it is not true. A kid with a cane pole and a bobber and worm will still catch as many fish as anyone. If you buy into the EGO game then it will cost a lot of money with depreciating results in regards to dollars spent compared to fish caught.

Dave

8. Rick Sharp

Rick Sharp Member

Media:
    go to www.mrfc.com and check the clearance section they had some pretty good deals on discontinued Winston rods

9. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
  10. Rick Sharp

Rick Sharp Member

Media:
    You do not have to be on the cutting edge to catch fish. The manufacturers and distributors would like you to believe that but it is not true. A kid with a cane pole and a bobber and worm will still catch as many fish as anyone. If you buy into the EGO game then it will cost a lot of money with depreciating results in regards to dollars spent compared to fish caught.

Dave[/QUOTE]

that is some of the best advice I've seen yet on this forum

11. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

You can get pretty good value buying used if you're patient. Watch this site for used gear as well as the others. Put a "want to buy" add in our classifieds and see what response you get. I'll bet you can put together a decent outfit within your budget given a little time. There's plenty of help here for what brands and models to watch for.

12. ksagee

ksagee New Member

Redington has some great rods.

13. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I lost my single hander last year, it pissed me off so much I vowed I would not spend much money on another. I bought a redington and I am quite happy with it, it casts well and has a good feel to it. Line up one wt. it casts well, paid 99 bucks for it on sale.

14. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Redington and Temple Fork rule the value rod segment, in my opinion. I believe the initial poster inquired about a "setup" in the $150 range; that implies to me the rod, reel, line, etc. If that's the case, the Redington Crosswater combo is a very viable option. The Temple Fork NXT outfit at $199 is a great deal; nice looking rod, medium fast action, great service, four piece rod for easy portability, comes with a reel-on rod case (bonus!), it's a deal!

Of the sub $200 complete packages that I am aware are available, these two are the best, in my opinion.

15. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Today would be a good day to check out Sierra Trading Post for a package deal. Look under 'fly lines' for a deal on a $200 combo that they normally sell for $130 but is marked down another 25% for cyber Monday. Search 'fly fishing' for other similar deals. Some decent Redington stuff on this site.

Ive

16. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Media:
    +1 also I agree that 6wt would be a better choice for the application you decribe.

17. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Another vote for Redington.

18. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Redington Crosswaters typically go on Ebay for about $60 or so. Grab one of those and a Pflueger Medalist, and you'll have money to afford a top notch line. In my opinion, the line is the piece that will make or break the effectiveness of your setup, but it's the place that a lot of budget minded folk seem to have as an afterthought. You can make the cheapest of rods throw like a dream with the right line.

19. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    Redington, echo, tfo

all make good affordable rods in your range

20. BFK

BFK Member

I'll throw the Ross Worldwide rods into the mix. I've a 3 and a 5, and I like both.