Your Top Beach Flies

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Bluemoon, May 31, 2012.

1. Bluemoon New Member

Terrace, BC
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Going to be doing some beach fishing in late August for both Sea-run Cutthroat and Coho. The Coho typically start running in the rivers in late August to early September. Some of the beaches consist of fist size cobble, while others are sandy. What flies do you recommend?

Troy
  2. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    If you have actively feeding fish, it is hard to beat the good old reliable clouser minnow.
    The color combinations are endless. I really like pale pink instead of white for the belly.
    Good luck,
    SF
  3. Joe Smolt Member

Bothell, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    clouser, flatwing, reverse spider, a surface fly such as pregnant guppy or leland popper. Then read pacific salmon for waiting period salmon
  4. Bluemoon New Member

Terrace, BC
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Thanks for the replies guys. I have caught a lot of Coho and Cutthroat on clousers out of a boat around the kelp beds, but have not spent a lot of time on the beaches. I am hoping to change that this summer. Most of the beach fishing I have done, I waded as deep as I could go and then threw as far as I could have. I realize now that a lot of the fish were between me and the shore. Really looking forward to trying some top water action.

Troy
  5. Beachmen Active Member

Port Orchard
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    i like a clouser anyday. marabou is my favorite but when the salmon are running i like my pinks, blues, and chartreuses. craft fur makes a great clouser with lite brite or angle hair pulled over it. also making some with a stinger hook is a good idea when you run them a little longer for coho. theya re known tail strikers.
  6. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +400 / 0
    For early salmon season fishing tie up some sandlance patterns. A good epoxy sandlance pattern is absolutely deadly when these baitfish are present in good numbers, the coho love them. Another productive beach pattern is the Delia's squid in pink or cream colors. The Shock & Awe patterns are very productive from the beach when the current is running strong or when fishing before sunrise. Stonefish convinced me last summer that the clouser is king for late season coho (various color combos), especially for those migratory ocean fish that are still feeding in the north sound. The Surf Candy style of flies can be good for mimicking juvenile herring (lots of these in 2011) or surf smelt, but they get beat up on the rocks pretty quickly. Flat wing style patterns can be very effective as well, especially in a weak to moderate current with a slow retrieve. I carry a couple of surface slider patterns with me in the summer, but find they are best for confirming the presence of salmon and are not so good for consistently hooking/catching them.
    Beachmen likes this.
  7. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +505 / 0
    All of the flies mentioned are "must have" beach flies, but if you want one more....try one of these. I can't wait till fall!
    DSCN1589.JPG
  8. Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    Mark, great looking fly. I would not wait till fall. That fly will hunt today. Thanks for sharing.
  9. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +882 / 1
    I like Pink Beach Poppers day to day but check out the #2 Chartreuse Beach Popper in this guys mouth.
    Leland.

Charlotte Coho.jpg
    Bluemoon likes this.
  10. Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    Leland, I caught a beautiful Coho on the Lost River in Yakutat with a Pink Miyawaki Popper. I painted the dink with Florescent Pink Surveyors paint and used a Pink Grizzly. The Coho came up from 10 feet behind the Popper and was tracking it like a torpedo before I watched it eat the fly. I can't wait.
  11. Beachmen Active Member

Port Orchard
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    for a great epoxy replacement try fusion. its from hairline. dries in 4 hours, has no smell, and will shrink a little big sucking everything down nice and tight. Fusion.. i love it. and use it on all the epoxy style flies that i tie.
  12. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +791 / 1
    I've had my best, most consistent success using a size 2 to 4 green/white or blue/white clouser. Not very imaginative I know, but thus far the other smaller sized saltwater flies I've collected for non-Puget Sound outings haven't worked. Our forum guru's have graciously shared some of their favored patterns and I've added them to my list of "to be tied" (which seems to grow way faster than available time to complete :mad:).

I'm particularly interested in Leland's popper patterns. I fished pink polywogs for silvers in AK years ago and man was that a hoot. See a fish start chasing a fly is fun.
  13. Tony Tony

Lynnwood Wa
    Ratings: +73 / 0
    Another good resource with pics and descriptions would be salmonfly.net
    Tony