Your "World Record"

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kaiserman, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +439 / 0
    Every year I set out to catch personal best of a certain species on a single hand fly rod. For instance, several years back my goal was to catch a 20 lb steelie but fell a whopping 1/2 lb short. Two years ago I went after my biggest carp and ended up catching a 24 1/2" small mouth - still can't believe I was disappointed that it wasn't a carp.

So, I was wondering if others here set similar goals to make fishing a little more challenging.

Or heck, what species of fish would you like to have a world record in on a single hand'r and why?
  2. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    I usually set one or two goals, but keep them attainable, at least somewhat. This year it was catch an adult coho from the beach. Didn't happen. The year before was a king, and that did happen. The year before that it was my first steelhead, which also happened. This winter it is the same as last, a healthy winter steel, which has not happened yet. I guess mine vary a bit depending on the season, not so much the year.

And about a world record? I would be honored to hold any world record fish, single, double or any hander just for the pure fact that it would be a world record!
  3. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +774 / 2
    I've already set a goal for a 25" brown trout. That'll be tough to achieve in WA State, but I'm going to try.
  4. stewart dee Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have been serious about a large Dollie from any local "S" river. Looking for the big cruiser has become an obsession while swinging for Steelhead. Once I do that, I will either become obsessed to do it again or hang everything up and play Golf (not I suck at golf). I find myself thinking that today could be the day (for that big record Dollie) every time I start in on my favorite haunts. Its funny since for me that could be more exciting than a big Steelhead. Seems that the real Ghost of the river is lurking out there and the clock is ticking. ONE DAY AT A TIME is all I can provide.
  5. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +183 / 1
    No, I always get the big ones when I'm least expecting it. 27" rainbow on 5x with size 18 dry fly hook. 22" searun, etc.
  6. Tyler Sadowski Member

Kirkland, wa
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    My personal best is a 40inch hen I got on the snake last february. Absolutley the hardest fighting fish I have ever hooked. I actually thought I might not have enough backing when I hooked it. Dont know if I will ever get one that big again.
  7. Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    I don't set any kind goals like that. Big fish are nice but I didn't get into fly fishing to be big game hunter. While I've caught some big fish, I really don't get any more excited for them than catching a nice 10-12" trout on a tiny creek on a light rod. I've always subscribe to John Gierach's notion that "...maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you catch, but by how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed..."
  8. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,341 / 0
    I disagree. If you know where to look, you have as good or better chance of achieving that goal in Washington than Montana. I've never caught a brown over two foot in Montana, but have caught many in Wa.
  9. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    I take my worlds records as they come.
    1978, Sept. 3rd 5 lb. Brook trout in a high mountain lake in the Oregon cascades, gray hackle yellow.
    2008, Sept. ? 18 inch Montana cutty, St. Regis river, deer hair caddis.
    2010, Oct. ? 9.5 lb. Rainbow, RF, olive scud.
    2010, April ? 22 inch Tiger, Roses lake, bead head olive bugger.
    My main goal is to catch a big trout 5+ lbs every month of the year.
    Thank god for RF
  10. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,731 / 0
    About the only world record I don't want is how many things can go wrong with you in your life time. Right now I think I have developed a case of GOUT. This shit hurts. But I can live with it.

As for fishing. Any fish I catch is a world record. I consider them all that way. I fish for the fun in it and getting out in the wilds.

But my biggest was a 27 lb white king out of the Sound. I think I caught it several life times ago. Who writes shit down. Not me, I remember catching it and how good it tasted when I cooked it.
  11. Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Seriously....
  12. OliveScud New Member

MT
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Many times getting the "big one" comes down to putting your line back in the water and picking through the smaller ones. My one and only trophy fish I'm after is a world record mountain whitefish. I've had to pick though a lot of whitefish and still not there.
  13. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,731 / 0
    So you like whitefish. Lots in the upper Ruby bin the summer time.
  14. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +774 / 2
    Well that's good to hear. I certainly know one piece of water where I have seen them 25" and larger with regularity, though I'm just shy of that mark there on landing one.
  15. Kaiserman content

iagree Though I probably have not caught as many as you, there are plenty here in WA.
  16. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    This morning I released a very large brown speckled corn trout just under 2 foot.
  17. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +442 / 0
    wrong...just wrong
  18. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,341 / 0
    Peeewwww! Well at least you practiced catch and release. The alternitive is scary.
  19. Loren Jensen Active Member

Sedro-Woolley, Washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    i usually just set my goals at the end of the year and i just use the biggest fish i caught ;)

it was cool once upon a time, when my dad and i hooked almost identical rainbows, and it was the biggest one i've caught
  20. Kaiserman content

Almost a new record...14hrs 3 min before an honest thread went south. :beathead: No pun intended. Thanx Gary! :rofl:

Just for that I'm going to send you a nasty PM!