Your Yakima box?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Thomas Mitchell, Mar 16, 2011.

1. I tend to arrange my fly boxes by river or geography instead of by insect type. Right now, I'm working on filling out a new Yakima box. Not asking for pattern info (everyone has their favorites) but I'm very interested in what types and especially sizes of flies y'all are packing. Are you using anything smaller than a #18 dry or #16 nymph?

In my box, I'm including:

Caddis
    dries #14-16
    nymphs #14-16

Mayflies
    dries #14-18
    cripples #14-16
    nymphs #14-16

Stoneflies
    dries #10-14
    nymphs #10-12

I also have a separate box of soft hackles in various colors and traditional wet flies from #12-16 that I'll swing with my new 3wt trout spey.

Thx!

2. I was wondering the same thing. I have yet to fish the Yak, but plan on doing so this spring/summer. Was curious to know what people's Yak boxes looked like. Obviously, I don't have one yet, but with your suggestions Thomas, I now have some direction!

3. You're a little big on your stones, and I don't see any midges. Glad you're not stocking it with SJ's or eggs though. :rofl:

4. Just to show a different approach, I have been organizing my trout flies more and more by insect species (more so for stoneflies and mayflies, less so for caddis). I still carry a generic box of dries and a generic box of nymphs, but I have separate boxes for Skwalas, golden stones, BWO, PMDs + March Browns, October caddis, etc. Terrestrials are lumped together (beetles, hoppers, ants). I do have BWO parachutes and emergers down to size 20 and nymphs to 18.

Steve

5. Interesting, the stonefly nymphs in my box (mostly pats rubberlegs) are #10s and a few #8s, and the stone dry fly sizes (depending on hatch) are about the same or even larger as Thomas's. Maybe I should downsize a bit?

I never leave without a handful of hoppers if its late summer, of course SJ worms ;) , and small generic attractor nymphs (pheasant tails, lightning bugs, etc.), oh and a few brassies

6. Depending on the time of year, I'll go down to a 4 or 6. If you've got that up to a 10 you'll match what you find.

7. Thanks Derek. Your input is much appreciated.

8. Ah you meant big (#) as in small (hook size). Gotcha thanks

9. No worries - I tend to build boxes based on the time of year/hatch. So, I'll lump a variety of March Brown's and BWO's together, etc. A separate box for varieties of caddis, early and late, big terrestrials, and a big box of Stoneflies of all varieties. This allows me to only carry a few boxes, rather than them all or one giant one.

Then I've got a bunch of patterns that I buy intending to replicate and fish, but never do.....but someday.

10. I would agree it's almost easier to create seasonal boxes. I pretty much make piecemeal boxes for given outings based upon what I expect to be present. That way I'm not spilling hopper patterns into the water by accident reaching for a midge in January.

Derek mentioned the absence of midge patterns which I would agree are important. #18 midge nymphs are my best winter producers.

Having a cranefly pattern that you like is also a blast in the fall. Let me know if you find "the perfect" cranefly pattern, I'm still looking.

Streamers???? The Yak is a mildly disappointing streamer river compared to anything containing browns or more large fish, but they can still be rewarding.

11. I was going to post a pic of my box until I read this :)

12. If you know where and when, it's a fantastic streamer river.

13. Oh yes, my favorite way to fish it these days.

14. "This is not the streamer river you are looking for..." ;)

15. I absolutely include, and fish, #20 emergers and duns for the BWO hatch in October.

D

16. Definately save some room for sculpins and terrestrials....