youth fly combo kit question

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

I am wanting to get my kids into this great sport and I have seen that there are a few different kits for kids. I was just wanting to know if anyone has kids that has tried them and what they think about them? My little girl is 5 and is really into it. My so is 12 and says he now wants to learn thought he didn't not to long ago, more when the little one made it be know she wanted to fly fish with dad. So any help full tips on what set ups would be good for this age group? Again I have read whats on the net more just trying to see if any one has hands on with any of these?

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    I had an 8' 5wt Cabela's Three Forks that I bought from a forum member. That seemed to be the easiest rod for my 9 year old to handle. It's much cheaper than the rods that are marketed to youth, and really casts well. 5wt is nice because at some point you'll want to put on a bugger or other small streamer, and it also makes it easier for kids to deal with the wind.

For panfish I rig my Redington CT 2wt with a short leader and then get about a rods length of flyline out. My daughter can just flip it out in front of her, or let out a little more line and try a fly cast. It's fun for her with no wind and a lightly weighted nymph.

When I take her fishing I always make sure that we have a spinning or spincast rod along. She can get frustrated quickly and switching to the easier rod calms her down and increases her chance of catching fish. I also try and plan our trips for maximum fish catching and we ALWAYS get ice cream afterwards.

flyfishingeric1 likes this.
  3. Eric Denny

Thanks Patrick all of that was help full question for you what does the three fork's run. I ask because redington has a set up with the works for 99.99 rod,real, and like. So I figured that was pretty cheap and the ross set up which is 140$ comes in pink and blue so and with everything even a tube. Is it cheaper then those. And I showed her on a spinning rod she just see's me fly fishing and wants to try it that way.lol but you are right I should always have one of them or she will get bored and I won't get to fish half as much as I would like.lol I had thought I should wait tell I got older but seen some video's on youtube of kids her age so I figured I can do it and if my son really does want to learn I would love to form that kind of bonding with him to!!!

4. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    I'm a big fan of Redington. For $100 that sounds like a good deal. I think it comes with a Rio fly line so that makes it an even better deal. The 8' Cabela's Three Forks combo is $69.

Our first fishing trips were all for Bass. It was easy for her to get the concept of bass habitat. We just cruise the shoreline looking for "bass houses". There's no down time since you're constantly casting and retrieving. I usually act as guide and don't get to fish much myself. On one trip when she was about 7 or 8 she had caught several big ones. She looked over at me struggling to cast a big Bass bug with my 5wt and said "so, have you caught any thing on that fly rod yet?"

5. Eric Denny

cute. I took my little one out to williams to let her fish I didn't do and but her and the other 4 kids I took had a blast she had just turned 5 and was landing them hand over fist just little ones 8-9in but it was great at one point I asked her " so how many you caught" she said on q" to many to count" I don't know if I have ever laughed so hard she got more than my son and his sister which where 11 and 13. and she was doing it all on her own after the first one. bait her own hook with worm and corn. it was cute. And she is the one I really want to teach as she has really taken to fishing she love's it.

6. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    I know the Ross set up well and it is a great rod combo. It is not a toy or a "kids" rod it is a nice medium action 4wt.
    Here is my advice buy a 7'6" or 8'0" 4 wt rod something that you would use. Match it with a inexpensive reel any will do and a budget 4wt weight forward line. (try to find something a little better than Average) This will make a great set up for the kiddos. If they lose interest or if you have a guest to take fishing you will have a couple of good "loaner" rods or back up for yourself. This is a great rod for the cuttthroat streams of N. Idaho. I bought a rod just like this for a "song" from Mediger on this board several years ago I just didn't get a rod I ended up with a friend also.. But any way I used it for me and my grand-kids for years and passed it on to another Dad for his 10 yo boy. The kids really don't care if it is pink or blue they just want to go with dad and fish. Good job dad.
    jesse

7. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Ditto the Redington. The system is well matched, and you want the experience to be simple and enjoyable. I bought a combo at Costco for my daughter, and it was so poor that I couldn't cast it myself. Typical false economy. The kids will enjoy it, and you will have a decent back up.

8. FLYFLICKER

FLYFLICKER Chris

[​IMG]

I have a couple of young boys, 8 and 6 years old. I bought them both the Redington Minnow combo set, and the boys really seem to enjoy the rods thus far. I would recommend this product to anyone who has kids interested in fly fishing.

The Redington Minnow targets kids ages 6-12. It’s not just a rod, but a complete outfit that includes a two-piece, 8-foot graphite rod with a line weight designation of 5/6 and a Redington Crosswater reel. The Minnow Outfit retails for $99, which is a very attractive price point for a rod, reel and line. As a whole I’m very impressed with Redington as a company. They combine quality with affordability, and their warranty covers the cost to repair or replace the Minnow rod and Crosswater reel for one year. Check their website for specific warranty information.

Rod: Eight feet is plenty long enough to cast efficiently, but it’s just short enough to not be overly cumbersome in the hands of a young angler. The two piece rod makes sense for youngsters as it’s less to worry about. Face it, younger kids are not always detail-oriented, so only having to align and secure two rod sections simplifies things and reduces the chances of ferrules coming apart when casting. Redington thoughtfully includes alignment dots on the Minnow, which is a nice feature I wouldn’t mind having on my rods! Another nice feature of the Minnow is its shortened cork grip that makes the rod easier to keep a hold of for smaller hands. A 5 weight is widely considered the all-around rod for most fly fishing, and it’s safe to say that if a person is going to have only one rod, a 5 weight is the right choice. The Minnow is heavy enough to handle good sized fish, but light enough to still feel the tug of smaller quarry.

Reel: The Redington Crosswater reel included in the outfit is described as “tough and unfussy”. It’s a large arbor design which makes for easier and quicker retrieves, and it converts easily for left- or right-handed reeling. It has a strong, disc drag system should your small fry hook up with a big fish. The Crosswater comes spooled with Rio backing and Weight Forward fly line, and also includes a knotless leader. Right out of the box, your child will be ready to tie on their favorite fly and hit the water. The reel and line alone retail for $59, which makes the Minnow Outfit really shine as a value-added package.

The Minnow comes with a rod sock but not a hard case, which really should be something you’ll want to get in order to protect the setup. You have many suitable choices available, so ask your local fly shop for help with selecting a case. It might be a good idea to choose one that is capable of storing the reel attached to the rod.

The Minnow box includes cut-out targets to a make learning to cast fun, and also includes additional tips, techniques and games to get kids started. The goal of this entire package is to make it fun for kids to get started in the sport. Getting kids into fly fishing is very important to Redington. Kids are the future of the sport and will become stewards of the resource one day. We need kids to become fly anglers!!

9. Eric Denny

Thanks everyone for all the help I think I will do the minnow for my daughter and try the next outfit up for my son I read when I googled them that it was for pre-teen to early teens. But thanks for everyone's help.

10. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Check out the variety of outfits listed here. No reviews, but I've tried to assemble all the rods/reels etc available into one place so folks can then go,seek reviews of the product they want.

http://www.takekidsflyfishing.com/

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  11. Eric Denny

Thank you!!! It looks like you have put in a lot of work finding this stuff and I can't tell you how thankful I am for that I think I am going to go with the redington the two different ones. Get the little bit bigger one for my son. I didn't know that had that many.

Itchy Dog likes this.
  12. Itchy Dog

Media:
    Home Page:
    Glad you found it useful...Seemed that a resource was needed to help parents find all the gear and helpful info to help get their kids into fly fishing. The only thing missing from the Minnow is a rod tube.

flyfishingeric1 likes this.
  13. Eric Denny

Yeah i noticed that two how well of a kit is the ross? I know they make decent reel but have no idea about rods?

14. Itchy Dog

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sorry, I have no idea on the performance quality of the rods. I did notice in searching for reviews that the price of the Ross outfits is now $100 more than what it was when I posted that listing originally. I see that they changed the outfit to now include a reel and line—it used to just be the rod.

http://www.rossreels.com/outfits/journey-outfit.html

The Minnow is a good deal and you could buy a case for it and still come in very reasonably.

15. Eric Denny

Wow that looks like a different set up then the one I seen. The one I have seen on ebay was 150$ at tops and it looked more pink as that one look's kind of purple. I wonder if they have updated it. Well any how I will look and see what I can find. And no worries about not knowing, you have helped more than I can put into words, so thank you. And its not like a lot of adults are out trying kids stuff.lol So I don't really know how much I will be able to find on reviews. might just have to try my luck, or better yet theres.lol Thanks again Itchy dog!!!

16. Itchy Dog

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've heard great things about many of the outfits listed on Take Kids Fly FIshing, including the Echo Gecko (just to make your decision even more difficult) ;)

17. Eric Denny

Thanks Itchy and I have really thought about that one to as it has the 2in butt and I think that might help the littlest one.

18. bradslam

bradslam New Member

Both of my daughters have the Redington Minnow. Cabela's had them on sale a couple of years ago for somewhere around $65. Definitely high quality for the price. Here is my youngest in Ketchum, ID last July. IMG_0459.jpg

Patrick Gould, Itchy Dog and Builder like this.
  19. Eric Denny

That is great thanks for the advice how old ate your girls my daughter is 5 and son 12.

20. bradslam

bradslam New Member

My girls are 7 and 9. In fact, the photo was taken a couple of days after her seventh birthday.