Yucatan Fishing Info Needed

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Tom Arroll, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Tom Arroll Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Hi,

I am heading to the Yucatan with my family the last week of January and wanted some up to date fishing information. We took a trip there some 4 years ago in December but we got hit by an El Norte with consistent winds of 30 knots for the whole trip. Needless to say fly fishing was not in the cards. We spent time in Tulum, Punta Allen/Boca Paila, Majahual, Xcalak and then headed inland to the Calakmul Biosphere Reserve. This trip we were considering skipping Punta Allen and Ascension Bay and heading to Xcalak and possibly taking a boat to Ambergris Cay. Anyone done this or have any information about fly fishing specifics and guides? One of the reasons we are skipping Acension Bay is because we thought Punta Allen was a grubby little outpost town and all the Accomodations and Guides in the area were way over priced and monopolistic. We are also going to head inland to do some Jungle and Maya Ruins touring. Anyone know of any fresh water fishing oportunities around inland Yucatan? Peacock Bass?

Thanks,

Thomas
  2. mr. bad example Member

poulsbo
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    I've taken a skiff from Xcalak several times down to Ambergris Cay it's a great way to skip the tedium of the Chetumal/Belize city route and you can fish your way down there, it takes about an hour and a half if your in a hurry. You have to ask around and dicker abit but you can make it happen.I also suggest you head north from Majahual and go to Punta Herrero, it is a lot cheaper then Punta Allen with the possibility of great fishing but if you thought Punta Allen was grubby you should probably skip it.
  3. Tom Arroll Member

Seattle, WA
    Hi Mr Bad Example,

Thanks for the info. Last trip we took our little economy rental car down the endless sand road to Punta Herrero tilted about 30 degrees the whole way. I thought this area was pretty cool although the mosquitos were insane and the mounds of Carribean trash on the beach was a bit grim. I think some grubby mexican towns can be cool and interesting but I got a bad vibe in Punta Allen for some reason. There is quite a contrast between the town and the over the top $$ fishing lodges. Where you able to find a guide or boat to hire around Punta Herrero? All we saw was sumsintece fishemen and abandoned buidings. I did run into a gringo who had a resoert between Majahual and the park enterance. I think there specialty is tarpon and snook fishing is the mangrove lagoons. Unfortunately the lagoons where flooded and tea brown due to heavy rains.

Thanks,

Thomas
  4. mr. bad example Member

poulsbo
    It's been a number of years since i was in Punta Herrero, but I've fished with Balt and Miguel and Cacaro. Tell Balt hi from Jefe Moreno, and if you see a middle aged gringo named memo tell him to go fuck himself.
  5. Tom Arroll Member

Seattle, WA
    I will say hi to Balt if I make it out to Pt. Herrero. Sounds like there is a story behind your coment about the gringo named Memo?

Cheers,

Thomas
  6. mr. bad example Member

poulsbo
    I'll leave it at "familiarity breeds contempt".....maybe 25 years ago he and I skiffed it down from punta allen and stayed for a few weeks in punta herrero, i thought it was heaven, we weren't tourists anymore, we helped pull nets and dove lobster traps and speared fish and got a free place to stay and were fed a stupid amount of food,by everyone,very cool.We got to know the fishermen and I couldn't believe how generous and nonjudgemental they we're about a couple of gringo dirtballs.Anyway he's still there for a few months every year, and i believe the road has been paved at least part of the way.