z-axis 6110 Line Recomendations

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by cjflyfish, Feb 8, 2010.

1. I have a Sage Z-Axis 6110 and need some help on finding the proper line for my use. I have recently moved back to Wyoming from Portland for my job. I plan on using this rod fishing primarily larger water (for wyoming) for trout using an Indicator Rig. I'm excited for some longer spey style casts, good line control, and long dead drifts. However I do not know what Line I should throw on it. I do not think I will swing as many files with this rod.

I have used Skagit lines in the past, but I'm not sure if a skagit line is the best for indicator rigs? I've been looking at a Rio AFS, or AFS Outbound?

I would love to hear if anyone has this rod and what they currently use?

Hope to be catching some Nice Browns and Rainbows this weekend with it.

Cheers,

Cj

2. I use the Rio AFS on my 7110 Z Axis and it works well as an indicator line. You'll want to cut the head back about 5' to increase line diameter for turn over of tips or indicator.

3. where in wyo?

4. Rio Outbound or SA Streamer Express are good in a WF7F or a Rio Skagit Short 325 with a floating tip will work great for nymphing.

5. I have a 5110 which ought to be about similar. I use a 6 or 7 wt. Outbound, a 7 wt. 4e0+, and I have a 330 gr. Scandi with tips. Rio recommends a line weight heavier than the rod itself.

6. Take a look at the new Airflo Speydicator. Specifically designed for nymphing. 6 wt. is the lightest wt. they make in the Speydicator.