Zonker vs Cross Cut Rabbit

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Curtis King, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Curtis King

Curtis King Fish Magnet

Media:
    Anyone have preferences on using cross-cut rabbit strips vs straight-cut zonker strips? I use cross-cut strips because I think it gives better action in the water.

2. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I definately prefer zonker strips because they seem a lot fuller then any cross cut rabbit i have ever used.

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Depends on what you're tying with them. I've always had better action with the zonker. The crosscut makes a "prettier" fly IMHO, but when it comes to action the fur is naturally flowing back. With zonker, it's naturally sticking straight off the hook. In the water, I've noticed the zonker will "breathe" more in the current. That's just my observation. Plus, you can use a single piece tying leeches. No cutting except at the head of the fly.

4. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    Generally you use zonker strips for flys that are tied zonker style, or with the strip horizontaly across the hook. And with crosscut strips you use them for wrapping the strip, like flesh fly or what have you.

5. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Well,wrapping bodies with crosscut looks better to us in the vice.Tying the same fly with normal or zonker strips doesn't look as pretty to us but the fish think it looks prettier.Which do you prefer?You liking it or the fish?

This is all what I have heard from actual fisherman, I actually have no idea whatsoever, but I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.Hey???

Davy