Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

New winter fly.

8K views 100 replies 34 participants last post by  JS 
#1 ·
After taking a break from swinging for steelhead this summer I must say I had quite a bit of fun. However, its time to get back to it. Dropped some weight, (not all of it) leg is a little better, and feeling healthier. Got some bench time today and decided I wanted to take my experiences this summer and make a fly that should be a bit more productive for me. Learned these fish are closer than I thought so this year I will not be casting so god damn far anymore. Will be almost half distance as i was doing leading to more consistent swinging. I am sure this fly has been created already but I am calling it BEADROID.
Hair Head Hand Plant Human body

See less See more
#69 ·
Easy Swimmy don't cheapen the spiritual journey, this isn't about getting high at a Widespread Panic show in the back of a Prius, this is very serious business. We must rectify Daniels standing with the steelhead gods once and for all. I see only one way at this point, in fact I've never seen a better candidate. Swimmy you are excused. Chromers is for sure in, excellent energy there. I have a strong vision here folks, it's really coming together. The path is lined with beads and rubber worms but the bold shall prevail.

DO2016

#71 ·
Submit to the Steelhead Gods Daniel. And bring the rubber ducky I think that's an excellent medium. The Gods delivered that rubber ducky to the choicest riffle on the whole river for a reason. It didn't end up circling an eddy with the dead kings and flip flops, it ended its journey on the rocks of that riffle for a righteous reason. I think we need it.

#75 · (Edited)
Floats unlimited they cost less than twenty cents, have better strike detection than the airlocks, and can fish them as deep as you want.

I think the only way airlocks can be considered superior is because Joe Roeder made a video about them and said you can buy them at reds fly shop right here on the banks of the yakima river where you can find him wearing his Sims g13 guide jacket while casting his sage tcx death star with rio Skagit max long short intermediate head with 15 foot of t27 and eight feet of rio fluoroflex plus 3x tippet, which also happens to be sold at reds fly shop right here on the banks of the yakima river.

#80 ·
Statistics show 68.92 % of those who nymph for steelhead had parents who were related other than by marriage, and 71.4 % of steelhead nymphers had sodomized a chicken, or other farm animal.
I don't know if those numbers are entirely accurate ( of course they are very close), but I do know floatsunlimited is the best bobber deal around......

#89 ·
Statistics show 100 % of those who disparage those who nymph for steelhead had parents who were related other than by marriage and are royally messed up in the head.
I know those numbers are entirely accurate, and floatsunlimited is the best indicator deal around......
You got some of the information correct, but I had to fix a couple of things for you.

#82 ·
Let's get this thing back on track. Golf bashing. Those of you who golf how often do you think about fishing while your golfing? The number one reason I do not golf or ski any more is there was a moment doing both that I thought today is a great day, why am I not fishing. Those were the last times I did either of them. Why would I waste time golfing when I could be fishing?

#92 ·
The Nympher vs The Swinger (starts about half way down the page)
Stolen from on old issue of a Bloodknot magazine, try to ignore all the pics of dead kiwi fish -
http://www.tongarirorivermotel.co.nz/2012/11/nymphing-vs-wetlining/

I'm putting my vote in for the Airlock's. But since there's (apparently, based on a known tendency to nymph) a 71.4% chance of my parent's being related, take that with a grain of salt.

#93 ·
I love how the pack brags up trapped air technology like it's some stealth stuff. Just goes to show fly anglers want to be sold and marketed to.

On another note if you want to nymph, and I mean bring on the bacon and nymph. None of this pussy ass tin shot and tungsten putty nymphing crap, but real manly, masculine nymphing. Well, then you need a pack of party balloons from the dollar store. Their vintage traditional trapped air technology is completely customizable for temperature and rigging weight as well as the high tech leader saving natural rubber formulation. Want to suspend a rig weighing like an ounce, no problem! Just get Christian Slater on that thing and pump up the volume! That's right the customizable party balloon is your invitation to the VIP section of chromevalia! You too can enjoy pure slayage without leader worries. Want to pack allot of floats? No problem, our innovative low bulk shipping/packing method ensures you will be able to carry about three hundred of these little chrome hunting bad boys in the chest pocket of your g4 jacket. Order now! And if you act now we'll throw in a free, that's right free Mardi gras necklace for bait!

#97 ·
I love how the pack brags up trapped air technology like it's some stealth stuff.

Well, then you need a pack of party balloons from the dollar store. High tech leader saving natural rubber formulation.
I had visualized using this very same high tech, low cost, natural rubber formulation, using trapped air technology, material.

But, replacing the H2O filled variety like in my GSP carrying Avatar, with a high tech air recipe formulation. That uses exhale fill technology, to properly expand such a rubber flexing device to the desired fill level, using buoyancy compensating technology.

As a result, I will have a human filled, dollar store balloon, filled enough to float the desired pay load dangling below.

But the adjustable technology needed to attach the device to the line is not developed. Or, at least not developed in my brain. How is this accomplished?

#98 ·
Put an overhand knot in your butt section and slip the balloon knot in there and tighten. Or if you wish for an easily adjustable sliding balloon rig send me a PM. Dollar store balloons will actually cause more headaches than the price is worth. You want quality rubber. Good rubber holds its shape and takes some abuse while you're fishin, a cheap balloon will stretch and turn into a flaccid schlong and disappoint all participants before the party starts. Google qualatech 5" latex balloon.... Pick a color and be prepared to be amazed. I wish I could find a way to fish them on my baitcaster.

#100 ·
I'm starting a crowd funding campaign for organic lamb skin balloons inflated with the breath of steelhead personalities. Just imagine Jeff Hickman blowing your indicator up for you and then o package it and put some fancy attachment tech on it for moto boat and away we go to drown bobbers, tight lines, and massive profits. Other celebrity personalities will join soon I'm sure as it becomes hip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.